Options

Suggestions/Reality Check For Former IT Professional Hoping To Return To The Field

mj30250mj30250 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello, all.

I used to work in IT, shifting through various roles including Systems Admin (Windows based), Network Engineer and Software Developer (most often a mix of two or three at once). I'm looking to get back into technology, as it's really where my passion lies. However, my large, and seemingly insurmountable challenge is: I haven't worked in IT professionally for over 10 years. Based on some moderate attempts at applying to jobs, those 10 years seem to render my 6+ years of experience useless to anyone reviewing my resume.

In an effort to try to gain some attention from potential employers, I have obtained my A+, CCNA and am currently working towards my CCNP (I've passed ROUTE thus far). Clearly, I am hoping to find a role with a networking focus, but I am worried that I may be wasting my time here based on my salary requirements. I absolutely cannot afford a salary that would qualify to most as entry-level. I make a reasonably good living now, but unfortunately, it has nothing to do with IT, and I truly can't see myself working in my current field (outside business-to-business sales/account management) for the remainder of my working lifetime. I need a change.

I am willing to sacrifice a reasonable amount of pay in order to return to IT, with the expectation that I will be able achieve my current level of compensation without it taking more than a couple of years, but that sacrifice can only be so large.

To cut to the chase, at bare minimum I'm looking to be around $65k per year. Certainly, the higher the better, but that is about as little as I could reasonably live with in the short-term. I live in New Jersey (about 20 miles northeast of downtown Philadelphia) and I am not looking to relocate from the area any time soon.

So that's my situation. Please feel free to offer any suggestions as to how to best achieve what I am looking to accomplish (or if it's even reasonably possible). The good news is that I'm secure in my current position, so I can afford to take my time and deal with loads of rejection, as long as there is eventually light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm also willing to explore other segments of IT beyond networking, etc, but it would be nice for all of my time spent studying Cisco to be worth at least a little something.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why not look at sales engineering jobs in the networking space? Sounds like a good fit and best way to leverage your sales experience and keep a decent salary.
  • Options
    Yes, I've considered something like that as well. Those jobs still tend to require more recent and comprehensive technical experience than I can boast at present. Would anyone who works in that space have any advice on how to overcome my challenges?
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My personal feeling is that you might find a lot has changed in those 10 years. I'm sure you're aware of this, but with things like ITIL, IT has became much more policy focussed and the landscape has now changed. Asking for $65k without being in IT for 10 years - I don't know if that's possible. I'm sure you're worth it, but it might be rather difficult. Of course, i'm speaking from a UK perspective. It might be different in the US. Best of luck!
  • Options
    Yes, I understand it will be very difficult to achieve. I suppose I'm looking at the best route to maximize my chances. My other question is whether I should continue with my CCNP studies at this time. As I said, I've already passed ROUTE, so I'd like to finish up the cert, but that still involves a large time commitment. It's certainly one that I'm willing to make, but only if it wouldn't turn out to be a waste of time.
  • Options
    mj30250 wrote: »
    Yes, I've considered something like that as well. Those jobs still tend to require more recent and comprehensive technical experience than I can boast at present. Would anyone who works in that space have any advice on how to overcome my challenges?

so maybe you get into a similar role you have now but on the sales side for some sort of enterprise hardware or software in the network space. Then once you have the technical chops you could move to the technical side. Honestly, having not worked for 10 years in IT, unless you have a comp sci degree or something, i can’t see many other ways to jump into a job paying what you are looking for right away.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, I understand it will be very difficult to achieve. I suppose I'm looking at the best route to maximize my chances. My other question is whether I should continue with my CCNP studies at this time. As I said, I've already passed ROUTE, so I'd like to finish up the cert, but that still involves a large time commitment. It's certainly one that I'm willing to make, but only if it wouldn't turn out to be a waste of time.

Have you looked into gettinf the CISA? A lot of the big four audit firms and big financial firms not to mention big pharma and start up pharma have office in NJ. I receive emails from recruiters on a daily basis but it's too far for me to relocate. The CISA will help you more probably in the salary area than the CCNP I think because of the area that you are located and the jobs available in that area. Besides having the CISA is never a waste of time or money, it will help you even if you decide to later on go the network route.
  • Options
    Would the lack of recent experience be less of an issue with a CISA? I did a quick search on Dice for jobs with CISA in the description, and not much showed up within a 30 mile radius, but I'm open to anything that could help get me back on track.
  • Options
    Actually, in looking further into it, it seems that the CISA certification actually requires demonstrated experience in IT auditing. If that is indeed the case, then obviously it's off the table.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What types of roles have you had the past few years since being in IT? Since you are practically right up the road from me, you could also look at getting into IT Security as well. There are PLENTY of jobs within your area up there.

I might be able to send some job opps your way, just want to get an idea of what you have been doing the past few years, and what your experience is. If you want to send me your resume via PM feel free.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have any type of IT experience within the last few years, you could look at getting your SSCP through ISC2. Or you could pursue the Cisco security route as well.
  • Options
    Kiki, I've been working in B2B sales for the past 10 years now. I'm responsible for growing my portfolio based on selling solutions and products. It's very much a consultative role, in that I'm looking to help my customers realize improvements in their procurement efficiency, inventory management and manufacturing processes. It's very much solutions-based selling, but it really isn't in the IT space.

On the IT side, all I've done recently is basically self-study (A+, CCNA, CCNP) and providing occasional tech support to friends and family. I'm certainly open to taking a look at any potential opportunities you may find. Thank you. :)
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I left the IT/InfoSec world in 2007. I went back to that world in 2013. After 6 yrs being out I got back in and started at 68K now 3 yrs later I make nearly double that. I make six figures. Get some certifications or add some college and start applying. I was half way through my MSDFS and I landed a pen testing gig then jumped after 6 months for a pay bump then jumped again after 3 months for a pay bump then jumped again for another pay bump stayed 6 months then left. I got offered another job took it and worked on contract for a year then got another pay bump when I converted to FTE. I know a lot of hops and a lot of dealing with why are you leaving questions. You have to be a good salesman and you are the product. You just have to go out and show what you have been doing is applicable to IT in some way. Now go hustle you should be able to get you mid 60's just showcase those transferable skills and show the potential employer they cannot live without you because of those unique skills.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    If you have any type of IT experience within the last few years, you could look at getting your SSCP through ISC2. Or you could pursue the Cisco security route as well.

So I have a question. If I have a sec+ but later on I wanted to do infosec, but right now im debating on my CEH or Linux+ which should I go for? I have heard Pen Testing is good but you need fundamental Linux Knowledge....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    I'm bumping this thread as I am looking to (finally) wrap up my CCNP soon and begin looking at potential jobs more earnestly. Any advice/leads/reality checks/etc would be most appreciated.
  • Options
    I'm bumping this thread as I am looking to (finally) wrap up my CCNP soon and begin looking at potential jobs more earnestly. Any advice/leads/reality checks/etc would be most appreciated.

Do you have experience yet? If not it may prove challenging to get a job that requires a CCNP with no experience. So be flexible and maybe willing to work your way up. Also make sure you have a home lab and are putting what you learn to use.As for jobs available, i would search the job listings for CCNP, CCNA and some of your skills, maybe sales and try to find something that puts all of those skills to use. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    jerseytechjerseytech Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say start looking into virtualization/cloud. I believe that's the most that has changed.