Options

Amazon - AWS Free Tier

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
Not sure if this has been posted before. Below is a link to a 12 month free subscription to AWS that you can use to play around and learn about AWS if you are new, novice or advanced for that matter. I came across this in a Coursera cloud lecture but never got the chance to post it. In addition to the AWS software you get some free infrastructure and devops software to use.

The big issue with Cloud and some vendor specific certifications is that people do not have the necessary material yet to get training and exposure. I think Amazon is making a very good strategic move in giving away 1 year of free training on your own pace with their cloud services.
In the next few years, i think AWS will be like the CISCO/MSFT certs.
Myself i haven't gotten into cloud yet but i am reading what i can about cloud technologies and at work we are implementing and have 2 projects that i am managing and implementing SaaS solutions and will be the primary administrator for those products. They will have heavy usage, almost all of our users will be required to use them, about 1500 users so far. I am expecting to get these 2 solutions up an running in the next 2-3 months. So sooner or later i would have to learn some cloud stuff too even though they are vendor specific, a lot of cloud technology can translate into other vendors also. Would definitely benefit if you get in sooner than later.

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    hey great post, I'll check this out, thanks!
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like free stuff. Thanks! Been wanting to test out AWS.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Start with the free introductory labs over at qwikLABS before you sign up for your AWS account. That way you can start working with AWS right away.
    https://qwiklabs.com/lab_catalogue Click on the Labs tab to see a list of the individual labs.

Pay attention to the fine print in the Free Tier. Some services are always free, some do not have a free tier, and others have a limitation. You get 750 hours of a t2.micro instance per month. That's enough to run that instance 24x7 for the month, or you could run 2 instances 12 hours a day for the month. Turn off your instances when you aren't using your lab to save money, but make sure you have time to work when you launch them. You are billed an hour when you start the instance, so be ready.

I managed to keep my lab under the free tier most of the year, but I wound up paying more as the year went on. I always had the $0.51 per month for the Route 53 DNS hosting. Then I signed up for the WorkMail beta, which required at least Simple Directory service. Then I rebuilt my lab to match a production environment - with public and private subnets, NAT, RDP Bastion host, and a server to manage the directory - so launching my lab burns more instance hours now. I budget $50 per month for my lab, which is less than what I would spend if I bought a new lab server every other year. You can always turn on monitoring and enable billing alerts if you are worried about your lab cost.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted before. Below is a link to a 12 month free subscription to AWS that you can use to play around and learn about AWS if you are new, novice or advanced for that matter. I came across this in a Coursera cloud lecture but never got the chance to post it. In addition to the AWS software you get some free infrastructure and devops software to use.

The big issue with Cloud and some vendor specific certifications is that people do not have the necessary material yet to get training and exposure. I think Amazon is making a very good strategic move in giving away 1 year of free training on your own pace with their cloud services.
    In the next few years, i think AWS will be like the CISCO/MSFT certs.
    Myself i haven't gotten into cloud yet but i am reading what i can about cloud technologies and at work we are implementing and have 2 projects that i am managing and implementing SaaS solutions and will be the primary administrator for those products. They will have heavy usage, almost all of our users will be required to use them, about 1500 users so far. I am expecting to get these 2 solutions up an running in the next 2-3 months. So sooner or later i would have to learn some cloud stuff too even though they are vendor specific, a lot of cloud technology can translate into other vendors also. Would definitely benefit if you get in sooner than later.

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

AWS has had a free tier for like 2-3 years now

Best source for the AWS certs:

UDEMY: "ACLOUDGURU"

I literally did all of his videos and lectures in two weeks and was ready to test for architect assos.

BTW, in order to get certified you will have to venture out of the free tier package like when playing with route 53 or using other services. I got out of there with a grand total of $1.53 after three weeks of work and countless hours of instances.
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you go to Acloud.guru , you can link up your udemy account and get a whole bunch of practice test questions. It is well worth the money you spend for the course.