Options

WGU- Start Date - Feb 1st 2016- Need Feedback !

DreamboyDreamboy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I just wanted to let you guys know that I have got accepted at WGU (BS in Health Informatics program). I am planning to start Feb 1st, 2016. I' very excited to enroll in the program, but at the same time, I am extremely nervous that if I could finish it or not. I'm not a computer genius, however, I love computers, had taken some basic courses. Do you think it will be hard for me to get through the program without any computer background? How much time do you spend every day? Do you recommend concentrating on one subject at a time before moving on to the next one? or study all at the same time?. I'm a full time worker and I can probably spend around 20-22 hours per week. Any suggestions would be helpful.

These are the classes that I have to take:

Classification Systems
Pathophysiology
Medical Terminology
Pharmacology
Healthcare design and management
Intro to IT
Network and Security- Foundations
Data Management - Foundations
Business of IT- Project management
Business of IT- Applications
Organizational Behavior and leadership
Healthcare ecosystems
Healthcare Law and regulations
Data Analytics and Information Governance
Healthcare Compliance
Healthcare Informatics
Principles of Management
Financial resource management and Healthcare reimbursement
Healthcare stats and research
Professional practice and portfolio - Tech level
Quality and performance management and methods
Professional practice experience and portfolio - Management Level
Health Informatics - Capstone project

What do you guys think?

I need some motivation and feedback please.

Thank you so much !!!!

Comments

• Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    If I were you I would concentrate on one class at a time. This degree is heavy in healthcare classes. You may find those to be more challenging than the IT ones.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    NicWhite wrote: »
    If I were you I would concentrate on one class at a time. This degree is heavy in healthcare classes. You may find those to be more challenging than the IT ones.

I have already got a degree in Bachelors in Science (Medical Technology), so I assume I will be okay with the healthcare classes especially medical terminology as I have taken it already in the past, but they didn't waive it since it's only valid for 2 years.

Hopefully I will be okay with the concept of healthcare classes. I'm concerned about the IT classes. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you'll do fine. I had a BA in English and was mostly doing medical equipment support when I started taking IT classes years ago. I was pretty green. Just be sure to take the "prereqs" for each IT class so you have been introduced to required concepts. Some universities allow you to skip the prereqs and take them later, and you could probably do that with the healthcare coursework, but I'd get a couple of the "intro" IT courses under your belt before you try that to see how you're doing.
  • Options
    I think you'll do fine. I had a BA in English and was mostly doing medical equipment support when I started taking IT classes years ago. I was pretty green. Just be sure to take the "prereqs" for each IT class so you have been introduced to required concepts. Some universities allow you to skip the prereqs and take them later, and you could probably do that with the healthcare coursework, but I'd get a couple of the "intro" IT courses under your belt before you try that to see how you're doing.

I have taken one intro to IT class in community college and I did fairly good.
    Recently I have passed CAST examination (Certified Associate in Software Testing). Spent around 6 months studying for the cert. Passed it with 84% which was shocking for me. I thought I did bad.

Plus, at this point, I don't think I have time to take any prereq. because I will be starting next month. I really want to get this degree and move on. I am willing to work hard as I can.

Thanks a lot for your input.