Options

Study Tips & Habits

JakeCourtneyJakeCourtney Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have the Sybex Network+ study guide.

I've got about half way through it already. I'm sitting here with the objectives in my hand wondering that is the best method of study. Should I work with the first Domain first or just try to fit everything together as I go? I guess I'm wondering if breaking it down will help me grasp it better. I guess I would just like to hear some others study habits.

Comments

• Options
    -prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I broke it down to the four objectives:

Media and topologies
    Protocols and standards
    Network Implementation
    Network Support

I chose to study the topics separately, one at a time and then test myself thoroughly on that topic (using TechExams site and others). Once I was confident I new it well, I moved onto the next. I found this way great because it gave me a sense of achievement and helped me to keep motivated. I studied, lived and breathed Net+ for a period of two and a half weeks, using the last few days of my study to review everything.

When I tried to do everything at once, it was just too much.

Cheers,
    Prophet
  • Options
    sartsart Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Love your avatar, -prophet-.

Jake, I found that studying the book in the order presented worked well for me. I used a book by Thompson learning technologies - (Available at course.com).

This might not apply for the sybex book.
    -network analyst
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I used the Sybex 4th edition book paired with practice tests from here and mcmcse.com.

I didnt really focus on things by objective I just read the book as it is presented and took all the practice tests in teh book.
  • Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I did the same thing for Network+ as I did for both A+ exams. I bought the passport book from Mike Meyers and went through every page of it (they're short books) and made flash cards. With cards, you can get through all of the material in an entire book in about 20 minutes, compared to the x amount of time it would take to actually read the entire thing. Then, I just sit around and watch movies while I flip through the cards. In about a week of having the cards, I can casually go in and pass the exam. It helps to take a practice test or two also just to see if there is any material not covered in the book that you might be expected to know. icon_wink.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.