Options

Noobie here studying for Security+

dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there. New guy here. I earned my B.S. in Information Technology in 2010 and prior to that an A.A.S. in Computer Forensics & Security. I completed my A+ and Network+ in 2010 when they were still lifetime. I worked as a Systems Admin at a small manufacturing facility for about 3.5 years and now as a Systems Security Engineer. That might sound glamorous but I scan servers and re-mediate any vulnerabilities. I, started studying for the Security+ last week and hope to take the test by the end of February then start studying for the CISSP and hopefully take it by the end of the year. I will be ordering Darril Gibsons book this week and have been watching Professor Messor videos and taking practice tests. I'm averaging about 70% on my practice tests so far. I have done nothing with security since graduating and only install patches and updates now based off of scans.
I have some Linux, Windows, Active Directory, Linux firewall administration, Zimbra administration, Nagios, Nessus, and a few others. So basically I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. I haven't focused on any one area but am looking to start leaning towards the security sector. I have a few years of law enforcement and armed security experience and enjoy protecting people and things. I have also completed courses in school based on the CCNA and CCDA certifications but do not have any Cisco certifications and haven't looked at the Cisco IOS since then.

Any other advice or suggestions? My current position is temporary (contractor) so I know sometime in the next year or so I will be moving on. I am also on a tight budget here.

Thanks in advance!

Comments