Options

Skipping WGU BS IT Foundations Courses?

IrritablePenguinIrritablePenguin Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I've read on here I think, (searched to no avail). That some of you were able to skip the foundation courses by passing the more advanced "applications" course in the same track. I asked my mentor about this and she said it wasn't allowed.

Example:
Data Management Foundations: C175
Data Management Applications: C170
^ Skipping C175 by passing C170 first.

Wondering if any of you have heard differently, or have been able to skip a course?

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    These are actually two parts of A+ cert which is awarded when two exams are passed. Not sure if anyone would want to skip it and not have A+ because of not passing required exam.
  • Options
    Fortunately I have done that one already, not fun. I'm thinking more along the lines of whats the point of the basic course if you can pass the advanced course. Guess at some point in time this was allowed, but perhaps not anymore.
  • Options
    SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm missing the point of the question as a WGU student, I could see if you were at another school. This is a case where you take the assessment and then the exam for the easier one, if you it takes you an hour to do the exam then you just did the course in an hour. What's the big deal? Isn't this the advantage of WGU? Not sure why we would want them to have you skip courses, just take the pass the exam and move on.
  • Options
    In this instance its more of that I may end up studying some to make sure and pass the foundations course. I just remember reading that someone else had taken the course out of order and then the foundations course was skipped.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Scheduling A+ exams is not always easy depending on where you live. I had to schedule it at least 4-6 weeks out (facility 20min away) or 2 weeks out at a facility 2.5 hours way.

That's a pain to work around depending where you are in your term. So now I have to stop IT Foundations, get to work on Finite Math.....cram for the A+ exam once again and then go back to finish Math.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can no longer take the advanced courses to bypass the foundation classes, your mentor is correct.
  • Options
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I believe Python is taught in foundations and SQL is applications (I passed applications a few months ago). Couldnt you take a certification class for SQL or Python? I know there are some tests that will waive WGU classes (like CCNA waives Network+).
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    The foundations class is very easy. If you are ready for A+, you should be able to pass foundations cold.