Options

CEH V8 Vs V9

JaviDRJaviDR Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I have started studying CEH V8 book (CEHv8 Certified Ethical Hacker Version 8 Study Guide by Sean-Philip Oriyano)... and i have just discovered that the current exam is V9

How different are both exams? Is V8 still valid, and i just need to add some contents there (i have read about tablets/mobile), or it is a totally different book?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's no longer v8, it is just CEH now no version number. The exam is updated from v8. The only material out there is the official ec-council courseware. It is tool-heavy, so while the concepts of enumeration, sniffing, etc. are the same, you will have to know the names of some current tools and what they are used for and perhaps some commands. It doesn't hurt to study v8 material, however you should combine them with newer material as they come out.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Thanks for the really quick answer Danny

Is it usually enough with that book to pass the exam, or which other material is needed? I have done the cybrary ethical hacking training course, and i am easily passing the assestments at the end of each chapter in the V8 book.

How different is the exam to those book assestments?

Thenks
  • Options
    I never took those assessments nor the exam but my hunch tells me that the book and cybrary course is not enough to pass the current exam. There are a ton of new material for the exam now compared to the previous as stated on their site, such as laws (PCI-DSS, Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA, etc.) Calculations of ALE/ARO, Vulnerabilities such as Heartbleed, Shellshock, Poodle, etc., Digital forensics tools and more. You will have to familiarize yourself with these and newer tools not mentioned previously. The test suggests at least two years real world experience in network security, so they expect an ethical hacker to know these things prior to the exam.
  • Options
    I have that experience and i believe i am ready to pass the exam. What i would like to do is see an example of a real exam.

I mean, it is quite useful to know which ports uses telnet, netbios etc etc... but, is that asked in the exam, or do the ask something totally different, as for example, what is the structure of a tcp packet?

Thanks
  • Options
    Well the truth is you won't see an example of a real exam until you're at the testing center. Knowing which ports are good sure, but knowing what nmap commands to use will help you more. They probably won't ask you the structure of a tcp packet, there is more of a chance of Cisco asking you that really.
  • Options
    Understood. Thanks.

I havent seen any V9 book available... any idea where can i find it? Amazon (europe) only sells V8
  • Options
    There aren't any third party books available until May 2016.

Robot Check
  • Options
    __sleep__sleep Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JaviDR wrote: »
    I have that experience and i believe i am ready to pass the exam. What i would like to do is see an example of a real exam.

I mean, it is quite useful to know which ports uses telnet, netbios etc etc... but, is that asked in the exam, or do the ask something totally different, as for example, what is the structure of a tcp packet?

Thanks

You can take their online assessment to get an idea about the questions and exam format:

https://www.eccouncil.org/Training/ceh-assessment
  • Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is it usually enough with that book to pass the exam, or which other material is needed? I have done the cybrary ethical hacking training course, and i am easily passing the assestments at the end of each chapter in the V8 book.

How different is the exam to those book assestments?

Reading those books is not enough to pass the exam.
    Experience is what will help you pass the exam (Play with the tools, follow what is going on in the industry, etc...).

I did my test in March of 2015.
    I took the 5 day in person course.
    I read the Matt Walker AIO v7 book cover to cover twice.
    I then bought the Matt Walker AIO v8 book. Very little was different between the v7 book and the v8 book.

I did the Matt Walker practice exam's.

There was still quite a few surprised for me on the exam. You will get asked questions you have not seen covered anywhere in the material. You need to be able to use the process of elimination to pass this exam.

Know your ports very well and not just the common ports like 22, 25 etc... know most common port numbers in regards to security like 1433, 513 etc...

Know your Nmap Switches. Know Wireshark captures.
    TCP header I don't think you need to focus on but you will have to know what all the Flags do and what response is given when certain flags are set.
  • Options
    TCP header was just an example :)

How close to the real exams are those Matt Walker examples?

Another thing that took my attention... the exam is online, and the "anti ****" method used is ProctorU

I am quite surprised about this. I cant see how it will detect having a second screen and somebody doing the real exam there...
  • Options
    TCP header was just an example :)

How close to the real exams are those Matt Walker examples?

Another thing that took my attention... the exam is online, and the "anti ****" method used is ProctorU

I am quite surprised about this. I cant see how it will detect having a second screen and somebody doing the real exam there...

I would say that Matt Walker examples are good but your not going to be asked those exact questions on the exam. It is more important on your ability to think and reason out why 3 of the 4 answers are wrong. Like the Matt Walker book says it may sound dumb but eliminating the answers that are wrong is key. I found it not to hard to get down to 2 answers to select from.

I did the exam in person. I believe the ProtocU requires to you have a web cam on you at all times
  • Options
    Matt walker book is this?

CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-In-One Exam Guide

Looks pretty similar to the study guide (CEHv8 Certified Ethical Hacker Version 8 Study Guide by Sean-Philip Oriyano), isnt it? At least, test assestments look the same

Thanks
  • Options
    Matt walker book is this?

CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-In-One Exam Guide

Looks pretty similar to the study guide (CEHv8 Certified Ethical Hacker Version 8 Study Guide by Sean-Philip Oriyano), isnt it? At least, test assestments look the same

Thanks

I believe that is the first edition and is from 2011.
    Newest book from Matt Walker is (2014):
    http://www.amazon.ca/Certified-Ethical-Hacker-Guide-Second/dp/0071836489/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452261787&sr=8-3&keywords=matt+walker

I also purchased the practice exams:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Certified-Ethical-Hacker-Practice-Second/dp/0071838732/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1452261892&sr=8-5&keywords=matt+walker

There is a bundle with the second edition book and the practice exams.
  • Options
    slyweexslyweex Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JaviDR,

Yes, it is. There is also a practice exam book by the same author