Options

CEH in Europe. Does it worth?

JaviDRJaviDR Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

Looks like in Europe, for most of companies CEH is not well known, and they request things like CREST, TIGER, OSCP...

Is CEH something purely for the US that doesnt add any value in Europe?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    It seems to be more popular over in US since US government accepts this association and requires CEH accreditation for some jobs per DoD 8570.01-M guidelines. It is also accredited by the ANSI to meet the ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 Personnel Certification Accreditation standard.

However a dozens of companies in Europe are now offering boot camps and it would probably become more popular if it gets accredited by some European Commission thingie.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It all depends on your location, if you don't see any companies asking for it, then it will not be of assistance to you in order to get a job. It may be more popular here in the USA. If you do a search on jobs and see what certifications/qualifications they repeatedly would like you to have, then you know what to go for.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't says its completely useless as its better than nothing but if your plan is to work as a Pentester in Europe stick to the certs you mentioned above. Don't waste your money on CEH.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The best way to tell if a certification is worthwhile, is to look at job listings. If no one asks for the certification, then it probably isn't worth the money to sit the exam. However, the knowledge can still be worthwhile, so reading the books and watching the videos isn't a bad thing.

Treat the CEH as an entry level pen test (maybe also incident handling) certification: it won't mean much once you have CREST or OSCP. Just like no one will be too concerned about your Security+ if you have CISSP, or the A+ if you have an MCSA. And if you do get CREST or OSCP, then the CEH shouldn't be too hard to get later if an employer needs it.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The ultimate goal is to satisfy job requirements. If you don't see CEH being listed, you can either use it to prep for a higher level certification or skip it all together.

With that being said, the CEH gives a broad view of pentesting and serves as an entry into the role. OSCP I feel assumes you have a certain level of pentesting methodology and focuses more on the actual art of exploitation and creating your report. Personally if you have the financial means, I would start with CEH still.