Options

WGU BS: IT vs. BS. Network Administration

plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I'm not sure if anyone else received the notice but it looks like WGU is offering to transfer people over from the Network Administration path to the traditional IT path. Doing so drops the requirements for the Windows 7 (70-680) class and the server 2012r2 (410,411,412) classes.

What is everyone's thoughts on market traction for the 2 degrees? I am 3 courses out for finishing the Network Administration path or I could switch paths and be done or potentially have 1 class left. I intend to do the MS:ISA January next year , but , then again a lot can happen in a year. I have my 409 class so I could take 2 more classes for the MCSA which are about 79 a piece with my student discount.

Should I jump or hold steady?

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    You work on/plan on working with servers? MCSA is great knowledge if that is your desired career path. Otherwise, I would jump because MCSA is time consuming and takes quite a while - especially without experience.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @bpenn

My current role is sysadmin. I am not necessarily worried about the coursework but more whether the network administration emphasis has any more traction than the straight BS:IT designation. I almost feel as if the Network Administration designation comes across misleading due to degree content but also wonder if the generic IT title is too bland and would be better off with an emphasis.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    In the market I am in, employers are only concerned that the degree involves IT, not the specialty. I dont really think it should be too much of a concern, but that is my opinion.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon