Options

Taking notes as you revise.

Hi all,

Just a quick question;

Do you take notes when you study?

I am finding it is slowing me down loads and actually putting me off studying all together. I have now done a few videos without making notes and the fun of studying has come back a bit.

My plan is to get to the end of a chapter and then lab lab lab, next chapter, lab lab implementing the last chapter in etc.

I have made notes in the past for earlier exams but I didn't actually read back through them.

Cheers,
Simrid
Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I rarely take notes. However, I find that the value in taking notes is moreso the process of taking them rather than actually reviewing them. It helps to commit them to memory better... but that has only been somewhat problematic as I have gotten older (still not bad, at all).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually take notes, not that I do much with them afterwards. I do find them to be a nice way to review when preparing for an interview. It does slos me down a little bit, but I think that can be a good thing since it forces me to pay attentio instead of glossing over the subject. I find studying a chapter a day(half if it's really long) is usually a decent rate for me. Any less I tend to lose steam and never take the test, any more and I get overwhelmed and burnt out.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I take notes. You may want to think more outline than detailed.
    write topics and key words.
    this might help you speed this process up.
    taking notes is part of learning too.
    it is not a waste of time even if you don't look at them later.
    you will retain some info just because you took notes.

i 2nd, taking notes makes me pay more attention.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never. I, however, use a lot of techniques to memorize the material that involve rephrasing everything you've learned with your own words and be able to describe how things work. So, whenever I have a moment, while driving or waiting in a line or waiting to fall asleep I tend to give speeches to myself on what I've learned and if I find that I can't explain something in clear words I re-read or re-do the learning.
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a labor intensive note taking process. Write it down by hand as I watch a video or read a book. Later, I'll type everything in under the right section of the blueprint and add any other relevant details. Then for studying, I review the blueprint.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a labor intensive note taking process. Write it down by hand as I watch a video or read a book. Later, I'll type everything in under the right section of the blueprint and add any other relevant details. Then for studying, I review the blueprint.
    I go through this process as well. I find that writing it and then typing it helps commit it to memory and after you're done, you have a means of searching through your notes electronically for quick reference.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I also take a lot of notes. By making notes, it slows me down, but I remember all of the content and I can review it if something slips my mind.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't really take notes per se... As I go through the material that I need to learn, I just write down the topics that I need to focus on some more... I find this to work much better for me.

I also tend to cut down the material into a lot of sections, it makes understanding the topics a lot better, which avoids me from having to take notes on everything.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, I always take notes while I study. I will read a section, think about that section and try to internalize what I just read and then write an outline of what I learned. It took some time to master and is not as fast as just reading. However, I'm studying to learn and not to finish the book. I usually try to write the concept/term with definition and then restate in my own words a one-liner that summarizes the concept. If I need to develop a mnemonic to memorize a list of terms, I'll do it here and write it down.

My notes are always in Outline Format. Here's a quick sample of what it would look like. I use a lot of quick formatting with H1, H2, H3, etc. I always use Microsoft OneNote, one 'page' per chapter, all pages in the same 'section' for a given book.

CIA Triad
    Confidentiality
    Limiting information access and disclosure to authorized users
    Think "Keeping private information private"
    Integrity
    Information is only changed appropriately
    No accidental or unauthorized changes
    Can include input validation
    Think "Accuracy of information"
    Availability
    Information resources being online and able to serve legitimate requests
    Think "Systems online"
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wanted to add that part of studying that we don't often talk about (or sometimes even think about) is learning how you learn. What techniques work best for YOU? If you can master your own learning style, it will go a long way for anything else you want to pursue.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    I wanted to add that part of studying that we don't often talk about (or sometimes even think about) is learning how you learn. What techniques work best for YOU? If you can master your own learning style, it will go a long way for anything else you want to pursue.

Coincidentally, I just signed up for a free course about this:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn