Options

IT careers with no competition

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
Careers in networking, database, or PC support often come with competition from job seekers with less than a college education. In
your opinion which IT careers have little or less competition from the population without college degrees. I've happened across SAP/Enterprise Resource Planning software support as one of these but figured to take another consensus on which ones are out there, or in which order they rank.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    A lot of my friends have been getting jobs in Cyber Security with little or no previous experience but have a college degree and are getting paid well, nothing less than $60,000 starting out. That is what I am currently trying to get into.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    $bvb379 wrote: »
    A lot of my friends have been getting jobs in Cyber Security with little or no previous experience but have a college degree and are getting paid well, nothing less than $60,000 starting out. That is what I am currently trying to get into.

Jeez,

I have 4 years of experience in Desktop/IA, an AAS in IT systems, and will finish my WGU IT SEC degree in May and I cant even break 50K...
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In infrastructure I'd say in order: AWS, Azure and VMWare DC have the lowest supply to demand ratio. IT field is going to be tough without a bachelors unless you're already a rockstar that can't be passed on.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Probably not going to find anything without a lot of competition. You'd be better served spending your time making sure you're better than the competition than trying to avoid it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□

Surprising, I've never seen security positions with 0 experience requirements locally.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Here in the UK there are often security analyst positions available for people with no work experience and a security degree. The problem with, many of these private companies hire clueless people alongside a few rock stars who keep the business in check. I was working with guys with degrees who were clicking phishing emails. It's a tough one. I honestly wouldn't focus on getting one particular role because whilst you're trying to get it, the game changes. Always have a backup plan.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

This is probably more about geography. In my experience, I've seen years of experience required in infrastructure or other places before someone directly jumps into security jobs. I have no doubt that there are places in the country that probably have a bigger need and willing to train up but this is not typically the rule and I would say that you probably shouldn't expect no competition in security in most major cities in the US.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Surprising, I've never seen security positions with 0 experience requirements locally.

Of course not, every homeless person would be applying if the help wanted ad said no experience necessary. The ad says experience required, but a good interviewer with the right kinds of certifications can get hired with no experience. The cyber security position I have now, I had no prior cyber security experience, but I did have a lot of experience in IT.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    bpenn wrote: »
    Jeez,

I have 4 years of experience in Desktop/IA, an AAS in IT systems, and will finish my WGU IT SEC degree in May and I cant even break 50K...

I see that you live in Florida, I moved from there in August because of what you said about pay. I was in the same position (making less than you) and decided to take my chances.

And to TechGromit's point (couldn't figure out how to double quote) if you have prior experience, some certifications, and can display the fact that you are willing to learn, then employers might take a chance on you if you are applying for jobs where some of those skills are in demand.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Probably not going to find anything without a lot of competition. You'd be better served spending your time making sure you're better than the competition than trying to avoid it.

What he said! Spend your time trying to improve, that trying to find a field that lacks talent so that you can benefit from it.
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree....here in VA/DC area.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is probably more about geography. ......

I have been looking at this site for at least 2 years. It has been discussed time and time again that it's states where the job market is horrible. I personally know two people working Desktop Support at the Mark Center in Alexandria, Virginia making over 80K with no college degree. I will even give you the name of the company (Yes I did work for them at one point in time).It's 100% about location. If you go where it's a few military bases and a huge Government presence you'll never go without a job. Another fun fact, I know someone who was picked up on my previous team as an Intern then brought on Full Time with Lockheed Martin. So, you CAN get a job with 0 experience (not to mention a clearance). You'll more than likely not have an outrageous salary and will probably have to be a full time student though. Moral of the story if you're in Florida and about 30 other states and the salary and the job market sucks..............M.O.V.E
  • Options
    whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yellowpad wrote: »
    I agree....here in VA/DC area.

Sir/Ma'am,

That is 100% False. I am in your area. VA/DC has quite a bit of opportunities for 0 experience. I do feel that the 0 experience getting a job mostly caters towards college students though. I worked at the Best Buy in Fairfax as a weekend job and it's a college student that works in the Computer Department that got an internship and they taught/hired him on as a Programmer. I personally feel that hiring someone with 0 experience (college student so you know they have goals) benefits the company. If you hire someone with 0 experience they are not going to request 110K+ a year like more experienced individuals out the door. You can pay them 70K or 60K contract to hire. It's a win win. They get experience and you save money.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    whiteskies wrote: »
    I have been looking at this site for at least 2 years. It has been discussed time and time again that it's states where the job market is horrible. I personally know two people working Desktop Support at the Mark Center in Alexandria, Virginia making over 80K with no college degree. I will even give you the name of the company (Yes I did work for them at one point in time).It's 100% about location. If you go where it's a few military bases and a huge Government presence you'll never go without a job. Another fun fact, I know someone who was picked up on my previous team as an Intern then brought on Full Time with Lockheed Martin. So, you CAN get a job with 0 experience (not to mention a clearance). You'll more than likely not have an outrageous salary and will probably have to be a full time student though. Moral of the story if you're in Florida and about 30 other states and the salary and the job market sucks..............M.O.V.E

Yes and no. There are a lot of great cities and states for IT but there's not a few universal job roles stretched among those places that is free of competition or willing to hire without experience. It's supply and demand. For example, Alexandria might have a harder time filling those spots or finding people to relocate so they're willing to hire people without experience but the same might not be said about San Francisco, San Jose, Austin, etc. It's really still situational and geography-based - even inside the IT hotspots in the country.

Taking that into account, there might be a couple places in this country where you can get hired without experience in a cybersecurity role but if most places outside of those few locations require 3-5 years of experience for the same pay scale and rate, you better be interested in continuing to live there to build up that experience or perhaps choose a job role that'd be easier to transfer to the majority of locations that people want to live.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Don't know what is with all the hate on Florida but my former co-workers have landed decent gigs in the panhandle of the state. The fact that you have a handful of military installations in close proxy of each other and big commercial companies, I find it hard to believe you guys are getting a much lower bid within the area especially when my colleagues have incomes in the range of 52K - 75K a year. If it is really that bad, relocation maybe the solution.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□

/thread
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□

Another vote for this, it's simply not going to happen. If you do find something with little competition then there may be little demand for it and thus the pay will be low.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd actually disagree with the security thing. It is a hot topic and in high demand right now, but I definitely see it as more of a reactionary need versus a long term necessity one.

What I mean by that is that there have been a lot of breaches making mainstream news lately. This has created a lot of panic within businesses at all levels (not just IT) and has led to a lot of hire first ask questions later decisions. Security will always be a needed field and perhaps businesses now realize this more, but this momentum will eventually die down along with the emergency security dollars.

My company was part of a large breach that made International news. Prior to the breach we had about 5 security guys for a 6,000 person company. After the breach, we somehow created and filled about 40 security roles in an area that is not exactly known for overflowing IT talent.

At the surface, I saw an opportunity in a hot field with a seemingly open checkbook. However, I soon realized that after the wave passes, the need for critical infrastructure roles will still exist. 40 highly paid security roles will not.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□

Best advice in this thread.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RHEL wrote: »
    However, I soon realized that after the wave passes, the need for critical infrastructure roles will still exist. 40 highly paid security roles will not.

Maybe not all of them, the security fear mongering in the media may continue.
  • Options
    RHEL wrote: »
    What I mean by that is that there have been a lot of breaches making mainstream news lately. This has created a lot of panic within businesses at all levels (not just IT) and has led to a lot of hire first ask questions later decisions. Security will always be a needed field and perhaps businesses now realize this more, but this momentum will eventually die down along with the emergency security dollars.

Momentum will only die down when the hackers stop hacking which wont happen but who know tools/robots might replace us. My real fear is the unqualified people who are now getting jobs in infosec because the demand is so high.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Infosec will continue to be an area of demand for years to come. This is because the number of people who are getting clever enough to start hacking is growing, and the perceived value of doing so is increasing because we invest so much of our lives into electronic data. It is becoming quite lucrative for the hacker.

Companies, one day, will start waking up and realising they need to be more proactive, but until then - I think it'll stay very much a reactive industry for the mainstream
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    There will always be competition for a job..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hi all,

I thought to shed some light on what I posted.

notice I said "which IT careers have little or less competition from the population without college degrees." I didn't say fields were there was no competition, just not from the job seekers without college degrees.

Of course there would be competition. However in IT I've noticed that while some people just work there sweats off to get an education and obtain certs, some guy who knows the bosses sister and just got a high school education ends up getting a job which the college educated have busted their asses to go after. This story of course is not the same in all fields of IT as I am sure there are those areas which the newly hired almost always have to have a formal education.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    CCNTrainee wrote: »
    Don't know what is with all the hate on Florida but my former co-workers have landed decent gigs in the panhandle of the state. The fact that you have a handful of military installations in close proxy of each other and big commercial companies, I find it hard to believe you guys are getting a much lower bid within the area especially when my colleagues have incomes in the range of 52K - 75K a year. If it is really that bad, relocation maybe the solution.

The key to the Florida pan handle is having a TS clearance (which I am struggling to get). Half the contracts here on base require it to start. I have considered moving but my wife's family lives here and my AF Reserve duty station is here. If I cant get a new job after I finish my degree than I think I will bite the bullet and move.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    egrizzly wrote: »
    hi all,

notice I said "which IT careers have little or less competition from the population without college degrees." I didn't say fields were there was no competition, just not from the job seekers without college degrees.

Of course there would be competition. However in IT I've noticed that while some people just work there sweats off to get an education and obtain certs, some guy who knows the bosses sister and just got a high school education ends up getting a job which the college educated have busted their asses to go after. This story of course is not the same in all fields of IT as I am sure there are those areas which the newly hired almost always have to have a formal education.

This is my main frustration as well. I have been working pretty much since I was 15, went to college (business management which was my biggest mistake), and have worked very hard for certs (I am 26 now). The friends I am talking about have little to know relevant experience but have STEM degrees, did an internship or two and now make $60K - $73K. It had a lot to do with their teachers knowing people in the industry. Plus if you have a STEM degree, you are automatically a front runner for the job.
  • Options
    hi all,

The Title of your post said "No competition" so that stood out more than what you said in the body of the post :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    hi all,

If you spend all your time worrying about other people and being jealous then you aren't doing yourself any favours. Suck it up and worry about what you can control, not what you can't.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□

Where can I get this job? I have a degree in computer science emphasis information assurance and am definitely interested in a career in this. I currently do design/engineering though I have been involved in some cyber-security assessments. I had a hard time finding a job out of college, so I consider all these friends of yours lucky.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • Options
    Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□

These friends happen to go to Georgia Tech or a well known university?