Options

Are my old certs obsolete, unable to be used on my resume?

metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have an A+ and MCP certification from way back in 2002. The A+ didn't expire when I took the test, but it's my understanding it does now. And if I'm not mistaken the MCP is no more. Are these certs of any value at all any more? Should I even bother putting them on my resume?

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Put them on it cant hurt. what kind of job are you seeking?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your A+ doesnt expire. I think the A+ expire for those that had to take 2 exams for it.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @=TheFORCE

where did you get this information from? i thought they all expired. Can you post a link if you have one? thanks
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Top 10 FAQs in CompTIA

A+ has always been two exams as far back as I remember the exams being offered...late 90s. The exam was something like 60-70 questions, then they went to an adaptive style, then back to 90-100 questions, then for 2011 added the CE.

If your exam does not expire, list it. If it expired, I would leave it off and save that conversation for an interview if needed, but MCP and A+ cents alone are not likely to make you stand out as a candidate. Consider what you will be working on next with a goal date to accomplish the new certs and promote what you are working on.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The recertification requirement didn't come until later and was mostly for the benefit of the DoD that requires recertification be part of the certs (or have them versioned) so that they can include them into their standards. The old certs that predate this are lifetime certs, so you are fine.

In regards to listing older certs, I try to find a way to showcase my certification longevity. So, when I put down MCSE, for instance, I will show all of the versions.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I will go ahead and use these certs on my resume since they were acquired before the days of expiration. I have about 11 years of networking experience as an Analyst, so hopefully that will carry some weight too. I'm also studying to pass the CCNA and ITIL Foundation exams...from there, I'll probably take some new Microsoft tests. I'm thinking all of those will help sell me as "well rounded" and be a good start to a job hunt.

Cheers!

-Paul