Options

Not sure what to do to progress in my networking career

haydhayd Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All, a little about me: I'm 23, live in the UK and I hold Security clearance, I have CCNA R&S, currently thinking of going either CCNA Sec/NP or straight to CCNP R&S.

I recently got promoted to network engineer, at £30k, I got accepted for £36k with my manager however HR won't let me jump two pay grades.

My issue with my current job is that I have no colleagues around with network knowledge to help bounce ideas/learn off. I'm currently doing sys admin tasks and still like the rest of my colleagues who are data base enginner, share point engineers still have to answer service desk calls for password resets and low level issues.

My problem is that I want to increase my networking knowledge as to be honest I don't have much, I get put on courses around 2/3 times a year too but course is a course and I need experience.

Recently spoken to ex-colleague of mine who is a contractor but had said they've had 3 people leave recently so atmosphere is down in the work place but they get lots of exposure to all sorts of technologies which I don't use, Junos, brocade, Juniper and web/mail filters. However they too are hiring £28-35k I'm really puzzled what to do at this moment.

I would feel bad having to leave my company which had trained me to where I am the moment. If anyone care share any thoughts or advice that would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    First thing that comes to mind is to remind you that the relationship with between you and your employer is strictly business. Professionals are expected to develop and grow. Never feel bad for looking to better yourself. When the times come to make a move, thank them and whatever but always keep looking forward, as no one else will look out for you. If the tables were turned, the company probably wouldn’t feel guilty at all.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My 2 cents: very interesting post. I'm 26 and on a similar wage to yourself. I understand that you want to learn more and get to grips with more technologies, but also consider the downsides. In my IT career, i've found very, very few people who share knowledge. In fact, i've found people in the IT industry keep knowledge in their head. By moving to a new job, you might find you actually don't learn anything new. There is a chance you will, but there's also a chance you wont.

If you've got a CCNA already, then I agree, you should probably go down the CCNA Sec route - those kind of jobs are always advertised. Contracting is a risk as i'm sure you know. One of the guys left my work for a 3 month contract - after 3-4 weeks they decided they didn't need him. He was free for a week before he found another contracting role for 1 month. After the month is up, he'll be out of work again (unless they extend). His CV is starting to look quite patchy.

Sorry if i've confused you further, but to me, it sounds like your situation isn't that bad. I'd stick with this gig, get more certs e.g CCNA Sec and look to move on in around a year or so.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hayd I am in a similar situation and have been in the past. I am a big fish in a little pond. At some point the big fish stops growing and has to find a bigger pond to continue to grow. I am ahead of all my peers and have outpaced them in the knowledge and background area. So now I have to find another job internally or externally. The good part is that I am in a position to look and choose the exact opportunity I want. Not just taking whatever is out there because I am unemployed. This is the advantage of the situation. You may have to get additional training or education to make the jump or you may not. Looking though and shopping around to see what is out there never hurts.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Hayd I am in a similar situation and have been in the past. I am a big fish in a little pond. At some point the big fish stops growing and has to find a bigger pond to continue to grow. I am ahead of all my peers and have outpaced them in the knowledge and background area. So now I have to find another job internally or externally. The good part is that I am in a position to look and choose the exact opportunity I want. Not just taking whatever is out there because I am unemployed. This is the advantage of the situation. You may have to get additional training or education to make the jump or you may not. Looking though and shopping around to see what is out there never hurts.

Cant stress this enough. Continue to challenge yourself in your studies and take your time looking for a new role. You have a current job and it could always be worse!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    haydhayd Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your replies, the job will be permy which is ok for me. The three people had left, my ex-colleague clarified why they had left, one had moved locations, the other felt it was time to move after 9 years and the other found a job £15k more hehe.

Reassures me that they did not leave because it was a terrible place to be. I'll be doing BAU/faults and involvement of project work with along side my ex colleague, whom was great to learn from before.

I forgot that the relationship to my work place should strictly be as business its hard to remember that when you enjoy and respect the people around you.