Options

What's the diff btwn FORMAT and FDISK?

huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here is my basic understanding of the two. Please correct me and add to if you see fit.

FDisk is to partition a drive. Partition means changing its file system type btwn FAT and NTFS. Also it can create or destroy disk partitions. Partition in this sense can be a verb or noun.

Format completely wipes out all info on the logical drive so you can have a blank slate to install anything in it.

It would also help if anyone can better explain what is a partition, a logical drive, logical drive letter. Is phyical drive = hard drive = logical drive?

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
  • Options
    Hey thx omni. these links are very helpful. not only to my immediate questions, but any future ones. These links need to be stickied.
    But the link to microsoft.com about FDisk and Format is not detailed and complete. It states

Fdisk
    Starts the Fdisk program, which configures a hard disk for use with MS-DOS.

The format command creates a new root directory and file allocation table for the disk. It can also check for bad areas on the disk, and it can delete all data on the disk. In order for MS-DOS to be able to use a new disk, you must first use this command to format the disk.

What is the correct order for use with a new HD on a GUI OS like win xp?
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    more info about fdisk

don't quote me on this, but if i'm not mistaken fdisk isn't used with WinXP.
    personally i would use compmgmt.msc to create partitions, or diskpart if command line is necessary.
    witty comment
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    huzzx wrote:
    Hey thx omni. these links are very helpful. ........
    But the link to microsoft.com about FDisk and Format is not detailed and complete. It states

huzzx, what is your story? Are you just beginning to learn about computers or have you done it for some time? This is the second time I've seen where someone has done a bunch of the legwork for you and you have criticized the assistance they've provided.

I don't know what country you are from, so maybe something is getting lost in your post translation, but it just doesn't seem that are making an effort to research some of the information yourself, let alone try it out first hand.

Similar to the 'which files are hidden' thread, you will need to try these things out to see the results for yourself. It is pretty difficult to learn something well, by solely reading about it.

You mentioned on another thread you only have one computer and cannot install an OS on it as it's the one you use. Perhaps it is time to locate an old PI/PII or even a PIII - these should be pretty inexpensive and allow you enough power to install Win9.x possibly even XP to see how the files show and which order of fdisk,format you want to use.

If you are indeed new to computers, it's great that you have questions and are asking questions. However, you need to work some of these things out in a home lab or spare box somewhere. And once you get beyond A+, you will need to learn to research material on your own. What would you do if you boss gave you a box to format today? What if a client need a driver updated? How could you check to see if they needed one updated?

I've always seem to be able to find inexpensive spare's and you could just get a KVM switch to go between your main box and your test box. If you have a good box now, and a bit of extra money, you could invest in VMware and run a couple OS's on one box.
    What is the correct order for use with a new HD on a GUI OS like win xp?

Why GUI like XP? Sets up pretty similar to 98/ME/95/2000.

How have you installed an OS in the past? Or have you yet to install one?

Maybe you don't want to say you've 'never' installed an OS, but if you have I'm curious how you have done it in the past and why you suspect things to be different with XP? If you have never installed an OS of any sort, then say that you've never installed an OS.

There isn't likely a more 'right' way, but there are a couple methodologies. Old school of installing to the HDD and running setup or newer school of letting the system boot to the Atapi device.

If you format a drive before you partition it, you will defeat what you were hoping to accomplish. If you try it out, you will see what happens if you try to install the OS on an only fdisk drive.

Partition:Format:Install.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Hey Plantwiz,

Thx for your interest in my story. Heres my story, I've worked on PCs for the pass 7 years. Solely as a hobby, building for myself and for friends and family.
    I've installed OS 98, ME, 2k, and XP. I've installed Athlon XPs but never P4. I buy spare parts from all over the place; from stores, convention centers, and now primarily websites. I even overclock my current AMD 64 3200+ venice, and Corsair 1gig ram. I upgrade each part as needed.

Now all those customization were done with the knowledge that I gained from my friend, manuel, and online sites. I know only what I need to know at the time. During the installation I know the parts by sight, not by its techincal name, and certainly not every single detail about it that A+ is asking for.

As for the installation of OSes, it was extremely easy considering the steps the OS walks your through. I know how to do it, I just can't name step by step, know which files are involved, how the name of the procedure. Basically now I need to know the science behind it. It's like the human body. We use it everyday, but now we're tested on its scientific name, its functions, its limits, etc...Heck, we just do it.

As for you thinking I'm not appreciative of people are helping me, I do. Maybe because you guys think I'm a complete newb thats why your giving me half ass answers. Maybe I'm used to other forums where people provide more detail plain out. I refer to these forums when I'm completely stomped and thought your words would be better understanding, and easier to understand than how websites provide them. Its like looking for answers in a text book vs asking a friend. But instead I get answers like its a text book.

Now your suggetions for hands on experience is great. Now if I do it, I will actually know the process and the name of each part as I'm doing it. I know how to do it all along, but now I will learn its scientific name, etc....

Hope that clears it up for you. Appreciate the concern. THx.
  • Options
    raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FDISK is a DOS utility used for OS's prior to NT/2000/XP. You can not use FDISK for NTFS file system. FDISK only partions a hard drive for FAT16 or FAT32. Once you partion your hard drive you exit the FDISK utility and re-boot, then use the DOS command FORMAT to format your partition.

You no longer need or use FDISK with the newer OS's,