Options

Modems and another question

longshotlongshot Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need to know about the Modems troubleshooting. Where can I find info on the Digital Loopback and Analog Loopback?

Second (please delet if this steps over the boundries)....
I have noticed on practice test (2 different types) that when Multiple answers are required the areas to click change shapes (from round to square). Is it like that on the real test? Just curious.
Webmaster: www.longshotdesigns.com
Stunters Digital Artwork (It's halfway up now)

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as I can remember with A+ & Net+ radio buttons = 1 answer and check boxes = 2 or more.

Now modem troubleshooting. Digital & Analogue loopback??? Are you referring to a digital or analogue modem?
    Please explain icon_confused.gif:

There is the Loopback Plug, which is simply a RJ45 wired crossover EIA/TIA 568A to 568B - exactly the same as a crossover cable.

Then there is the Loopback Address - commonly 127.0.0.1 that is used to check the TCP/IP stack.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    The question I ran across on a test was something like:
    To check your a computers modem on a network, with another computer ...so on and so forth. It was something to that effect.

Its on an Exam Web test that comes with A+ Passport by Mike Meyers.
    but I could not find anything in the book on any type of loopback for modems. Did not see loopback stuff in the technotes either.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Atually there is something about a loopback adapter, almost at the bottom of this TechNote:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/mediatopo.shtml

nothing in specific about a modem loopback though, but I guess the following links will clear it all up:

icon_arrow.gif support.jp.dell.com/docs/comm/mt5634/en/loopback.htm

(note: there's a typo in RussS post, the IP loopback address is 127.0.0.1.)
  • Options
    Ok Found one of the questions.

Which test is done on your system when another system wants to test a modem connection between two systems?

This is the loopback stuff I want to find out about.
  • Options
    (Please do not post complete multiple choice questions from other sites...)

I've replace the links with a better one, that might help you to answer the question yourself... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Thanks Webmaster. Sorry about posting the question. Didnt know.

The Dell link seems to be what I was looking for. Thanks again.
  • Options
    No problem and your welcome...

If you have questions about a 'question' from another site, just ask the same thing in your own words without the answers/choices. This doesn't work for MS or Cisco questions, but works for most CompTIA questions (because they are 'merely' technical facts) and prevents us from having to worry about about copyright issues.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Hrm, Longshot from Jacksonville, Florida. You don't happen to be the sysop of the Fringe BBS and a Telegard beta guy, do you?
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    Ahhh, I was going to go back and edit that Johan, but didn't bother after other posts went up. I did however field a couple phone calls from people I know taking the .... out of me icon_jokercolor.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    :D I've could have edited it myself, but then it says: "Edited by webmaster last time on xxxxx" and when I browse thru forums and see that the post has been edited by the site admin... I always start wondering why icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    Hrm, Longshot from Jacksonville, Florida. You don't happen to be the sysop of the Fringe BBS and a Telegard beta guy, do you?

I dont think so 'cause I have no clue as to what that is...lol. I am just a Sportbike Stunter and webmster of soon to be up www.longshotdesigns.com icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    longshot wrote:
    I am just a Sportbike Stunter...quote]

Kewl! Any pictures to share with us?
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    longshot wrote:

I dont think so 'cause I have no clue as to what that is...lol. I am just a Sportbike Stunter and webmster of soon to be up www.longshotdesigns.com icon_lol.gif

Ah, alright, I knew a gentlemen from that same area who went by the same aliases. Was just wondering how small of a world it really was ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    longshot wrote:
    I am just a Sportbike Stunter...quote]

Kewl! Any pictures to share with us?

Well..when I finish the site...thats what its gonna be....Stunter Digital Artwork. (Photoshopped pics...lol)

For now I did make a Video....go here:

http://www.longshotdesigns.com/lakeland.wmv

Enjoy!
  • Options
    AlienitoAlienito Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, I am studying for my A+ certification and I have the same question about local digital and remote digital loopback tests and i can't find the answer in any book or enywhere in the internet. That link that the webmaster post is very confusing. icon_cry.gif

i understand that a local analog loopback test checks if the transmitter and the receiver of a modem works correctly.

But i am still confuse with the difference between a local digital a remote digital loopback test, can somebody please help me?

Thanks,
    icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    That is really a little beyond the scope of the A+ exam, however ...

Digital Loopback - Test that checks the modem's RS-232 interface and the cable that connects the terminal or computer and the modem. The modem receives data (in the form of digital signals) from the computer or terminal, and immediately returns the data to the screen for verification.

Analogue Loopback - Modem self-test in which data from the keyboard or an internal test pattern is sent to the modem's transmitter, turned into analog form, looped back to the receiver and converted back into digital form.
    www.supercross.com