Options

Offer letter after accepting another...

thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I did a few interviews around New Year's Eve and got a job offer on the 4th. I started at that company on the 5th and it's *okay*. The company I really thought was cool just sent me an offer letter tonight. I am a little skeptical, because I felt like the interview didn't go very well (the in-person lasted 15 minutes and they said they were going to interview a bunch of other candidates). I offered to connect to the Hiring Manager on LinkedIn. He only added me after the offer letter was sent to me.

I am wondering if he saw my updated LinkedIn profile that described my new position. Perhaps the offer letter is some type of gesture they have to make before getting authorized to outsource? It just seems strange.

Bottom line: Do you think it's a serious offer letter? I thought I bombed the interview because they didn't even give me any technical questions. It was a simple "social" chat with a few team mates. Granted they were impressed by my certs and my motivation to learn but the whole thing seems strange to me. Perhaps I'm overthinking it.

What are your thoughts? I would accept this offer letter for sure if I think it's genuine.
2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are the 2 positions the same? What are the pros and cons for each one? How will either position benefit your long term goals and your career? All questions that only you know the answers but you have to make your decision.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Seems like you're over thinking it to me, but if you get a bad vibe then maybe you should just stick with what you have. None of us were there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They could've sent an offer to someone else but it didn't work out with the person, that's why it took so long... No one here knows though. At my current position I just got I really didn't get any technical questions in my interview either. Think you could over thinking it. Gotta go with whatever you feels best for you.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    An offer is an offer. If you like this role more, then consider taking it(of course you will burn a bridge however). If you have concerns, maybe counter to see just see how committed they are.
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would tend to think the offer letter isn't a joke. I don't think any organization would want to jeopardize its reputation sending out fakes to potential job candidates.

As for the interview "chat", I've worked several places in my lengthy career, and a lot of my interviews have often been mostly "chat", and less about the techie. After all, a lot of the time the managers, even in IT, have left their skillsets sag so they don't know what to ask, etc...and/or a lot of techies simply aren't so hot on the communication side. Could be a bit of both. I had one former manager who told his team when interviewing candidates to not get too technical...I really don't get that, but it could even have been playing a part in your interview. This isn't to say some basic chatting in an interview is bad, as it gives one the opportunity to feel out other's personalities, but it also isn't too unusual, at least to me, to have an IT interview even still lacking on technical questions.

They also may be looking at your certs and assuming you have a basic level of knowledge, so no need to ask. Much as I learn from certs, I would never want a manager to rely simply on what they see on paper, but....

If there was a delay getting back to you because they were offering the job to someone else, if it's a job you want just disregard that fact. If you were the "second choice", who cares? As long as it's a job you want and will benefit you, don't worry how you got the opportunity. After all, any job you get will be a success or failure because of what you do, not how you got the opportunity. Ideally, later on the manager will say, "Shoo, I'm glad the first guy didn't work out because our organization got a much better employee." I had something similar happen once, where I interviewed a couple times, didn't hear anything for weeks, eventually they called me and wanted to offer me a contract position, to which I said "No" because I had a full-time gig. Months later, they called me and offered me full-time. They'd pick another guy for the contract gig, and their first choice didn't work out, so they decided to see if I'd be interested in full-time. I took it. Ironically, four months later I got an even better gig with a buddy, and left, yet they still countered me twice trying to get me to stay. :) I'm glad I took my current job, but don't get think too deeply about how this all happens. :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All of these posts bring up good points.

This company was actually my first choice in the round of interviews I did. I would get to work with Vmware, Linux, Palo Alto, and a lot of technologies I would really enjoy. The company I'm with now is more convenient commute-wise (it's a 15 minute commute opposed to a 40 minute) but it seems limited to Microsoft and the occasional SonicWall project. They both pay the same.

Chances are I will hold off from saying anything for a few days. The job would start in late January so I have time to think about it. For the time being, I can not be so stressed at the job I'm at now because there's not much pressure to stay anymore.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're in the driver's seat now.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They could've sent an offer to someone else but it didn't work out with the person, that's why it took so long... No one here knows though. At my current position I just got I really didn't get any technical questions in my interview either. Think you could over thinking it. Gotta go with whatever you feels best for you.

I agree with this statement, I suspect you were the second or third in the line, or they went to vacation and took over after they came back.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thatguy67 wrote: »
    This company was actually my first choice in the round of interviews I did. I would get to work with Vmware, Linux, Palo Alto, and a lot of technologies I would really enjoy.
    You should have LED with that.
    lol
    thatguy67 wrote: »
    I am wondering if he saw my updated LinkedIn profile that described my new position. Perhaps the offer letter is some type of gesture they have to make before getting authorized to outsource?
    You young whipper-snappers with your goofy Social-Medias.
    Sometimes you just need to stop OVER-SHARING!!
    lol