Options

Have your interviewers always said "we have more to interview first"?

I finally got to the point where I can apply to datacenters, and one of them called me the next day after getting my email. It's just a small one, under 2000 square feet of raised floor, but I figure it'll be a good starter datacenter job. 6 months or so in there and good sized ones (over 10,000 square feet by my definition) may take me more seriously.

They seemed excited by my work history and certsicon_study.gif, but after telling me I was the second person they interviewed, they pulled out the old line about "we have a few more candidates to interview in the next week....." .

Which may be true, but I find it annoying nonetheless. Have your interviews always gone this way? I guess there's good reason for it, but I hate the waiting time.

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Common but don't take it as a bad thing. I've been hired after hearing that. My current position I was hired during the interview, I really wasn't prepared for that.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just wait it out its not a big deal really...standard response. I've been offered a role after 10 Minutes of conversation on the phone and still had to wait 4 weeks for an official offer. You might have gotten the job but they are just performing due diligence.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    When I'm recruiting for support staff I will be given a huge list of candidates from recruitment agencies which I whtle down to the interview list by sifting and phone interviews, so by the time I am at interview, stage the list is of candidates I really want to see.

If you are the 2nd candidate of 10 on my shortlist then I'm not going to tell you there and then that you gave the job as I made a commitment to the other candidates to give them a chance to impress me - plus they the next candidate may be much better than you so I am doing myself a disservice by jumping for the first candidate that meets the requirements.

It is all about showing respect to the candidates and looking after my best interests in the end.

I hope that helps put it in perspective.

Iain
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is typical to be told that. Honestly, its fair. I've only been the interviewer for a couple of positions and I have always said that. I put a lot of effort into filtering down to a handful of interview candidates and want to give each one a fair shot.

Look at it from the flip side: If you were interviewing for jobs and had five potentially good positions - would you take the first one or wait till you had explored the other options?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Typical. Send a thank you email! You will stand out.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    bordigabordiga Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also keep in mind that depending on if they say they have more to interview after you, that can sometimes indicate that you might be the first or one of the first people that they wanted to speak to. I know that is pretty much how it happens where I work. The person we are most interested in not-so-coincidentally is the first to be interviewed, and then it is "the rest." Not true in every circumstance but also bear that in mind.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Send a thank you email! You will stand out.

how does TE feel about that? I used to always do it, but lately I have stopped, I thought it was too formulaic
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No way. Believe me it works, plus bringing in a notebook to ask questions and to write things down.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    No way. Believe me it works, plus bringing in a notebook to ask questions and to write things down.

I do that part
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's pretty much a canned response. I've been told that then had an offer letter 30 minutes later.

As far as a thank you email I always do that as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Research company beforehand
    Take notes during interview
    Send thank you note after.

Make sure hair is cut and nails are clean, shoes are polished. Etc. I know a lot of people say that IT is different than other industries, and it certainly is in some respects, but the standard niceties of civilized society and job interviews still apply (even more so, as it's easier to stand out in that respect among the regular unwashed IT masses such as myself. I really need to go shave ;) )

On the original question, I always hear it, never worry about it. If the interviewer isn't talking to other people I wonder whether or not other job seekers in the area know something about the job/company which is keeping them from applying which I should know.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been given an official job offer in the afternoon of the same day that I have heard that line. It's standard for a lot of places.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    joelsfood wrote: »
    Make sure hair is cut and nails are clean, shoes are polished. Etc. I know a lot of people say that IT is different than other industries, and it certainly is in some respects, but the standard niceties of civilized society and job interviews still apply (even more so, as it's easier to stand out in that respect among the regular unwashed IT masses such as myself. I really need to go shave ;) )

This is really important as the way you look after yourself and the way you present yourself are a strong advocate for your work ethic at a subliminal level - plus I would never want to employ someone dirty or smelly when there I have to work with them on a daily basis. I hate having colleagues who don't wash (themselves or their clothes) and thankfully our HR policy has a section about hygiene that I can use to make them wash or go onto disciplinary proceedings.

Iain
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think there is a clear difference between being nasty and dirty and having some facial hair or unpolished shoes. I could care less if a guy has some long hair or facial hair as long as he knows what's up. Unless of course we are talking about the sales side of the house going on customer sites.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A lot of people are just spitting out canned responses. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.