Options

Need a network mapping/monitoring program

BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
Hey guys -

I just started a new position in IT ops with an automotive component manufacturer. One of my assigned projects is to compile a complete list of all our networked equipment. Rather than tackle the massive headache of trying to go around and find everything myself, I'd like to find a program to tell me whats out there. I'd very much appreciate your suggestions on what to use. Let me explain further what I need:

We have about equal number PCs, thin clients, and networked printers (Lasers and Zebras). I need a program that I can set up on one of our servers to run constantly and autodiscover every machine that comes online, over a period of, say, a week (we run multiple shifts, so of course not all equipment is running at any one time - hence the need for something to be constantly polling). I don't need something that gives every detail, in fact simpler is better as I'm just getting my feet wet. What I do need from every device is:
-DNS name
-IP (a flag as static or DHCP would own)
-Device make/model
-OS/service pack / firmware revision

Anything else like system specs is bonus, but this is what I absolutely need in order to start keeping a running inventory (until now it has all been done by hand in Excel, and well, things are in no way accurate).

Cost wise, a few hundred can be justified. A few thousand = no.

Thus far I've tried Hyena, Steel Inventory(freeware), NEWT(freeware), and I'm on the trial of IPswitch Whatsup Pro, but I've yet to find a SNMP enabled device to run it through.

Your advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Have a look at these folks, been around a while. You can download the single use advisor for a look at their analysis depth.

http://www.belarc.com/ctadvisor.html?B
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    BelManage looks pretty good, but unfortunately it's cost prohibitive. I can't get $2300 approved for this. I'm going to be limited to a couple hundred. icon_sad.gif

Edit: Something else I should mention - several of the programs I've tried simply query Active Directory and then just basically monitor for what it finds there. This isn't appealing because our AD isn't very up to date. Finding what's really there and what's really not is what I'm going for here.