Options

When does the CISM exam start?

fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
I live in the DC area and I'm taking a CISM boot camp in Dallas the week before the June CISM exam. I'm trying to work out what my flights should be. Is anyone here familiar with when exams typically begin? Do they have a morning start or an afternoon start? Would I be better off moving my testing center to Dallas and just staying the extra night?

Opinions welcome!
"It's so stimulating being your hat!"
"... but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked."

Comments

• Options
    upnorth77upnorth77 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the December exam I took, you were to report at 8:00am, with no more people being admitted after instructions began at 8:30. The exam itself was scheduled to start at 9am.
  • Options
    Thank you, that's very helpful!
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Arrive the day before, get settled in and relax. Last thing you want is to be hurried and rushed immediately before a hard test you're already nervous about
  • Options
    upnorth77upnorth77 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Arrive the day before, get settled in and relax. Last thing you want is to be hurried and rushed immediately before a hard test you're already nervous about

Good advice. I had a 5.5 hour drive to the testing center, and that's what I did.
  • Options
    I'll probably miss the last bit of the boot camp in order to fly from Dallas to DC on Friday afternoon. That way I can at least get a little sleep before being at the testing center.
  • Options
    andhowandhow Member Posts: 151
    I'll probably miss the last bit of the boot camp in order to fly from Dallas to DC on Friday afternoon. That way I can at least get a little sleep before being at the testing center.

Coward. If you had any guts, you'd drive from Dallas to DC in the spirit of the movie The Cannonball Run arriving just as the test starts and with the police in hot pursuit.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why not take the test in Dallas? It's offered there.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Dan-in-MDDan-in-MD Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took an ISACA boot camp at George Mason University in the DC area before I took the CISA last June (2015), but it was a big disappointment (multiple instructors, uncoordinated, moving through the content so fast--at a high level--I doubt anyone would retain much). I didn't stick around for the third day. I passed in the top 5% mainly studying the official study guide and using the ISACA online practice question database.

I plan on taking the CISM this June in the DC area, so you might be in the room with me, but I'm planning to use the official study guide and practice questions. I think a two month study window is ideal for these types of tests where you take practice questions on a regular basis, 20-25 "new" (no repeat) questions a day across all the domains.

I am thinking about taking the national chapter's CISM review course. Unlike the CISA course last year, it isn't 3 days during a work week, it's three Saturdays separated by 2 weeks each. I'm thinking that might be useful.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I live in the DC area and I'm taking a CISM boot camp in Dallas the week before the June CISM exam. I'm trying to work out what my flights should be. Is anyone here familiar with when exams typically begin? Do they have a morning start or an afternoon start? Would I be better off moving my testing center to Dallas and just staying the extra night?

Opinions welcome!

Stay the extra night and take it in Dallas, you will be more rested, and less travel fatigued than flying home to take the test the next morning. I took the CISSP bootcamp and exam in Dallas late 2014
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke