Options

Mispronounciations that are grating

2»

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    "GIF" vs. "JIF". I don't care what Steve Wilhite says. I refuse to say it as JIF".

I concur... the abbreviation is for Graphical... and that is pronounced with a hard G, so the abbreviation gets the same treatment.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can I just point out that 'Mispronounciations that are grating' is a horrendously constructed sentence?

Also, half of these are actually correct and Americans bastardised the words/pronounciations.

icon_thumright.gif
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    swabbiesswabbies Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A co worker of mine pronounces meme as "meh-meh". It is very distracting. I pretty much don't hear the next 30 seconds of him talking after that.
    thanks,
    Swabbies
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    I've been thinking of starting to call it "squeal" instead, just to see if it catches on.

My supervisor was calling it "squeal" in 1994-1995 for much the same reason. It didn't catch on, but I'm sure he'd be glad to know the spirit lives on :)

Here's the funny part: we were stationed at Scott AFB at the time, and it appears you're there now. Maybe it's something about Belleville that makes people want to squeal! :)
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    Also, half of these are actually correct and Americans bastardised the words/pronunciations
    icon_thumright.gif

Which Americans bastardised them? The North or South Americans?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can I just point out that 'Mispronounciations that are grating' is a horrendously constructed sentence?

Also, half of these are actually correct and Americans bastardised the words/pronounciations.

icon_thumright.gif

Care to point out which ones? The British pronounciations over which Americans typically cite are inconsistencies... like router (yes, we do it too... I think it is common to route with an 'ew' sounds for roads and paper routes, but not by all), and WiFi is messed up by everyone unless you pronounce it like Why Fee... because it is Wireless Fidelity... long I then short I (note, Americans mispronounce it, too). English is just a messed up language... and I mostly blame the French for that. :P
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□

That's because it's not a sentence. Admittedly it uses passive-voice, but the fragment, "Mispronounciations that grate," requires even more brain power to parse.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I say "Re-ack-ull" for Re-ACL, "Jif" for GIF & probably a bunch of other things that piss people off. I like how they sound.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Ok, I am cringing hard just THINKING about this guy again...

Back in tech school, we had an instructor who referred to VPN as vippin. He also called switches, "svitches." He wasn't even from Europe, he was from the US. I couldn't even focus on the material because of how horribly distracting his pronunciation was.

Oh, and people who say "CAC card." No, its just "CAC." I am not going to refer it as a "Common Access Card Card."
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    People who say "rooter" instead of "r-out-er" have a special place in hell waiting for them.

People think the phrase "en route" is "on route", morphing the original French phrase into mangled English nonsense. Proper names, like Route 66, are just an evil we're stuck with since that's the pronunciation that took hold, but I'll be damned if I'm going to excuse poor grammar from network engineers, sysadmins, or other technical types who should know better.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go throw some kids off my lawn. . .

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've heard CIMC pronounced so many different ways...
    see eye em see
    see mc
    sim see
    kim chi (no idea why)

Supervisor cards being called sup instead of soup
    it's not a suppervisor...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA