Options

ITT Tech horror stories...

JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
Wow, I had always heard rumors that ITT Tech was a bit under par but check out this thread.

http://tcpmag.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?tid=1638&pn=1

I've met a few people who attended one of these places but they all dropped out and transferred to an accredited college. Unfortunately they told me that none of their credits were accepted at any school they applied. Life lesson learned I guess. Apparently they claim to be accredited, but not by the all mighty Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Therefore, they really aren't recognized by other colleges.

We interviewed a few grads of ITT but their skills were at such a basic level that we had to pass them by. We could of used them at the help desk, but that's a slap in the face to someone who applies for a network tech position. What a shame...

Comments

• Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    God this reminds of the tech I attended useless wont guarantee me a job university is the better way to go never trust public institution there are not legit at all god no!

Now I'm going to http://www.auckland.ac.nz

Auckland University
  • Options
    If you've ever watched an American television station, you've probably seen commercials for this place. They have these actors that say how successful they are and the types of jobs they have after graduating. It's such a joke, unfortunately some people fall for it.
  • Options
    ITT Tech University or institute ?
  • Options
    moss12 wrote:
    ITT Technical Institute - they are not accredited.

www.itt-tech.edu
  • Options
    Then why go to ITT Tech at all if you don’t have the credits to get into university you should follow a university entrance exam or something
    Otherwise you will be just wasting your time. I have read tcpmag forum some losers trying to exploit the situation by regarding all you not to **** and all that stay at ITT Tech "Don’t listen to them" there negative influence if you listen to them you will not be successful.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I really think this place is a product of the people who attend it. I think it was desinged for people switching careers or people who work during the day. People who complain about a decision they made or blame others is an honest problem with themselves and the pattern did not start with their educational decision. I had a friend who went their and he had like 100 credits and only 30 some transfered into a university. The reason some don't transfer is because they have straight 2000 server classes or Cisco style classes. Uuniversities have alot of broad based classes that are not as direct. I know a place like Davenport will take them.
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    Aren't ITT programs accelerated? I also went to a private school for my 2 year degree and it didn't help much at all when I went to apply for jobs in my field of work....not to mention a good amount of credits didn't transfer over to a University I wanted to attend to at the time....

I think the problem with these schools stem from the fact that they don't really teach you much at all....not even the basics you learn effectively....

They try to cram a class that would take 3 to 4 months and teach it to you in 1 month or less so of course unless you’re a fast learner and the type to continue learning off campus then you probably won't do well in the real world after graduation.....

Some of these schools are accredited (AIU, Devry, and FMU) but trying to rush things doesn't really work out to well....

I also think most people who attend these schools attend due to the fact that they are quicker and more efficient for them... OF course if you in career transition and you seek another degree and you're, let's say 30+ then Devry might interest you more than a traditional university because of the smaller classes and quicker graduation date....

I'm 31 and I'm going back to Public University for my bachelors, then again the time this is going to take is very, very long since they want me to basically start from scratch(not accepting the majority of credits) as well as the prep courses they want me to take.... I just took my first class that has to do with my major and I've been there for over 1 year already....that's a good 11 months of biology, math, reading and so forth.

I even had to retake the incredibly hard Introduction to computers since they wouldn't accept the fact that I took it already from my former school....so you get the point...

Either way you’re screwed, get education while you're young so you don't have to go thru the bullshit when you get older. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    LOL well put main _event
  • Options
    Main Event I love your quote very much

""Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."
  • Options
    marie2006marie2006 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, if one is even thinking of pursuing education past an Associate's Degree, you should do your due diligence.
    You have a better opportunity for financial aid, grants, student loans, and scholarships if you go to an accredited school. Non-accredited technical schools do not always have access to the best students, instructors, or materials. They do not receive much of the federal funding or state funding that accredited institutions enjoy.
    A co-worker of mine worked overtime so that her teenage son could have the benefit of an education at DeVry University - guess what? Just a few months shy of her son earning his Associate's Degree in IT, she learned that none of his credit hours would transfer to ASU - why? DeVry is not an accredited university. Also, most employers out there prefer a degree from a university that they recognize and can research when they are looking at you for a job - this also increases your credibility as a pro.
    Don't waste your time or your money - if you are planning to continue your education, be serious about it and make the investment from the start - don't begin your college career with a hinky-dink vo-tech on the corner that doesn't have a strong, certified curriculum.
    MISM, BSIT
  • Options
    GradualManGradualMan Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Judd wrote:
    moss12 wrote:
    ITT Technical Institute - they are not accredited.

www.itt-tech.edu

http://www.acics.org/accredited/documents/accreditedinstitutions3-21-06.pdf

Actually they are accredited by same accreditation agency as University of Art Institute in San Francisco ACICS.

I go to ITT Tech in missouri, and honestly I don't see what all the negative fuss is about. I've learned heaps of vB and learning flash soon in the animation class. I know photoshop quite well but I knew it before going there.

They have like 80+ campuses so it all depends on which one you go to, but ours is quite good and all instructors have masters or bachelor's in their fields and can always help you.

The reason people complain about ITT is because they think if they go to ITT they'll be guaranteed a job when they get out. Well that's not the case with harvard university either, so they shouldn't complain imo. It's their fault they were naive to actually think any school would guarantee anything. And you should be able to transfer your ITT credits into any ACICS accredited school. If a uni wont accept your credits, go to another one. I'm going to switch from itt to another school with a better game design program after I get my associate's. And NO I dont expect a 50K/year entry level job knocking on my door when I graduate.

Sorry, I had to let that out. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not to put ITT down but normally when someone talks about accreditation they are talking about the six original regional accrediting agencies. This is an international forum so I don't really know why it is important or how one can hope to understand it globally. In the U.S. these are the same agencies that handle the public primary school system and the same ones that would do a MIT, USC, UCLA, Purdue etc. Normally they have separate divisions or commissions for each of the categories primary, 2 year JC , 4 year college and Uni.

The one I am familiar with because I have to deal with them is
    Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Handles California (10 percent of the population) Hawaii and all U.S. schools in the Pacific Rim.

The other five are

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
    Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
    Southern Associations of Colleges and Schools

Between the six of them they more or less protect each other and make sure that general credits are transferable. They provide a united front when interfacing with other countries for the same thing. Then there are accreditation bodies that are unique to a field of study or profession like law, medicine, engineering etc.

ACICS I believe is the Accrediting Council of Independent Colleges and Schools. Basically those that for whatever reason did not go the traditional route and stay well... Independent. Many other associations partner with the regional commissions like the secular schools but the independents choose not to. There is one for the boot camp schools too; Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology. The federal government puts them both in the category of nationally recognized agencies instead of regional institutional agencies.

Here is my standard book mark page to the U.S. Department of Education.

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.asp

Any and all can do their own research and decide. To me the whole issue seems to be becoming more and more pointless as everyone has their own opinion.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    GradualMan wrote:
    If a uni wont accept your credits, go to another one. I'm going to switch from itt to another school with a better game design program after I get my associate's. And NO I dont expect a 50K/year entry level job knocking on my door when I graduate.
    I can't blame you for being on the defensive, but unfortunately defending this type of organization only proves the point further per your example above.

Universities work with IT industry leaders to ensure that graduates have the most current entry-level skills that can be applied early on in the career field. Colleges and universities that meet this standard and many more earn the regional accreditations mentioned in the post above.

ITT Tech provides a very basic level of instruction in the IT field, basically designed so that anyone can pass. This is very well known in the industry. Honestly, a "bachelor's" from ITT roughly equates to a technical diploma level from a two-year school due to the lack of required classes that accredited schools must have in their degree programs to meet standards. This is one of the many reasons why so few credits transfer if any to an accredited school.

I highly agree with the idea of you transferring to a different school, especially if you value your time, resources, and quality of education.
  • Options
    wanosdwanosd Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    marie2006 wrote:
    A co-worker of mine worked overtime so that her teenage son could have the benefit of an education at DeVry University - guess what? Just a few months shy of her son earning his Associate's Degree in IT, she learned that none of his credit hours would transfer to ASU - why? DeVry is not an accredited university. Also, most employers out there prefer a degree from a university that they recognize and can research when they are looking at you for a job - this also increases your credibility as a pro.

I think you need to get your facts straight.

There are many types of accreditation, ranging from legitimate ones to questionable ones (such as self-proclaiming). The best accreditation you want to shoot for is Regional Accreditation.

Why is Regional Accreditation important?

The most important fact about attending a school that is regionally accredited means you can transfer your credits to another educational institution. ITT is a nationally accredited institution. Although “nationally” sounds better than “regionally”, national accreditation is actually one step below regional accreditation. That means some of the credits one earns at ITT will not transfer to another university/college.

My brother went to DeVry, and now he’s getting paid $20/hr doing software testing for Microsoft as a contractor, without having prior experience. All his school buddies are also working, in the $20/range, give or take. I personally went to AIU Online, and I’m just starting to look for jobs, so I’ll tell you guys how I turn out. But while there, I knew of someone who got his masters degree from AIU Online and was accepted to Portland State University under a PhD degree program. AIU Online is regionally accredited by SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools). Both DeVry and University of Phoenix are regionally accredited by NCA (North Central Association of Colleges and Schools).

In the end, it boils down to did you really study? Do you have experience? Do you have certifications to back up your claim to fame? The area you’re looking for work in also makes a huge difference. If you live in an area where IT jobs are scarce, you will have a harder time finding an IT job. An area such as Seattle, WA where there’s high need for IT professionals is good start.

No matter what college or university you go to, expect to be frustrated and looking for jobs for at least a minimum of 3-6 months. Unless you have good contacts in the business, it’ll be hard to get a job right away without experience, even if you have the certifications and the degree.

Please see this site for more information:

http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-accred-whatis.html
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Judd wrote:
    GradualMan wrote:
    If a uni wont accept your credits, go to another one. I'm going to switch from itt to another school with a better game design program after I get my associate's. And NO I dont expect a 50K/year entry level job knocking on my door when I graduate.
    I can't blame you for being on the defensive, but unfortunately defending this type of organization only proves the point further per your example above.

Universities work with IT industry leaders to ensure that graduates have the most current entry-level skills that can be applied early on in the career field. Colleges and universities that meet this standard and many more earn the regional accreditations mentioned in the post above.

ITT Tech provides a very basic level of instruction in the IT field, basically designed so that anyone can pass. This is very well known in the industry. Honestly, a "bachelor's" from ITT roughly equates to a technical diploma level from a two-year school due to the lack of required classes that accredited schools must have in their degree programs to meet standards. This is one of the many reasons why so few credits transfer if any to an accredited school.

I highly agree with the idea of you transferring to a different school, especially if you value your time, resources, and quality of education.

Did you got to ITT?
  • Options
    cyberbarristercyberbarrister Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's just hilarious. You "could of" used them, but you found their skills inadequate, you say? I am assuming, then, that the school you attended did not have language skill requirements.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I only hate ITT because of how much my student loan is. However, I was the only student to land a job while still in school so its got to amount to something right? Its amazing how far you get in life when you just apply yourself.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Not to put ITT down but normally when someone talks about accreditation they are talking about the six original regional accrediting agencies. This is an international forum so I don't really know why it is important or how one can hope to understand it globally. In the U.S. these are the same agencies that handle the public primary school system and the same ones that would do a MIT, USC, UCLA, Purdue etc. Normally they have separate divisions or commissions for each of the categories primary, 2 year JC , 4 year college and Uni.

The one I am familiar with because I have to deal with them is
    Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Handles California (10 percent of the population) Hawaii and all U.S. schools in the Pacific Rim.

The other five are

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
    Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
    Southern Associations of Colleges and Schools

Between the six of them they more or less protect each other and make sure that general credits are transferable. They provide a united front when interfacing with other countries for the same thing. Then there are accreditation bodies that are unique to a field of study or profession like law, medicine, engineering etc.

ACICS I believe is the Accrediting Council of Independent Colleges and Schools. Basically those that for whatever reason did not go the traditional route and stay well... Independent. Many other associations partner with the regional commissions like the secular schools but the independents choose not to. There is one for the boot camp schools too; Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology. The federal government puts them both in the category of nationally recognized agencies instead of regional institutional agencies.

Here is my standard book mark page to the U.S. Department of Education.

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.asp

Any and all can do their own research and decide. To me the whole issue seems to be becoming more and more pointless as everyone has their own opinion.

You forgot the Higher Learning Commission, which is another of the traditional regional accrediting agencies.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    marie2006 wrote: »
    . . .Just a few months shy of her son earning his Associate's Degree in IT, she learned that none of his credit hours would transfer to ASU - why? DeVry is not an accredited university. . .

Something sounds amiss here. . . DeVry IS regionally accredited. Your friend's son should appeal that basis for any decisions. Now, it IS possible his DeVry credits don't match up with what's in ASU's programs-- and that's an entirely different matter.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Each Devry location must be accredited, not all are. The same can happen even in a high school or a physically disjoint state college campus for example making your diploma useful only for wrapping fish and chips.
  • Options
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    You forgot the Higher Learning Commission, which is another of the traditional regional accrediting agencies.

Gee you pulled up a four year old post? I don't even remember it, that was back when I was a grant reviewer, but the regional commissions are affiliated with the Higher Learning Commission by default. Follow the money or tax dollars as it were.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Gee you pulled up a four year old post? I don't even remember it, that was back when I was a grant reviewer, but the regional commissions are affiliated with the Higher Learning Commission by default. Follow the money or tax dollars as it were.

I didn't even realize it was 4 years old because it wasn't me who brought back the post to life.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    sloboogerslobooger Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Main Event wrote: »
    Aren't ITT programs accelerated? I also went to a private school for my 2 year degree and it didn't help much at all when I went to apply for jobs in my field of work....not to mention a good amount of credits didn't transfer over to a University I wanted to attend to at the time....

I think the problem with these schools stem from the fact that they don't really teach you much at all....not even the basics you learn effectively....

They try to cram a class that would take 3 to 4 months and teach it to you in 1 month or less so of course unless you’re a fast learner and the type to continue learning off campus then you probably won't do well in the real world after graduation.....

Some of these schools are accredited (AIU, Devry, and FMU) but trying to rush things doesn't really work out to well....

I also think most people who attend these schools attend due to the fact that they are quicker and more efficient for them... OF course if you in career transition and you seek another degree and you're, let's say 30+ then Devry might interest you more than a traditional university because of the smaller classes and quicker graduation date....

I'm 31 and I'm going back to Public University for my bachelors, then again the time this is going to take is very, very long since they want me to basically start from scratch(not accepting the majority of credits) as well as the prep courses they want me to take.... I just took my first class that has to do with my major and I've been there for over 1 year already....that's a good 11 months of biology, math, reading and so forth.

I even had to retake the incredibly hard Introduction to computers since they wouldn't accept the fact that I took it already from my former school....so you get the point...

Either way you’re screwed, get education while you're young so you don't have to go thru the bullshit when you get older. icon_wink.gif

While I do agree with some of your opinions, (getting a degree while you are young) I have to say, I went to ITT tech, where I excelled at learning in an actual hands on environment. I tend to find that standard universities do not provide the flexibility for me to actually have a job in the day. I have been working in the IT environment for the last 6 years, I graduated from ITT tech in 2007, while working as a Windows Administrator. I am now a UNIX/Linux/Windows/SAN/EVA Administrator with a very broad skill-set. ITT Tech actually opened the door for me.

My view, from my experience of going to the school, is you get what you put into it. The reason ITT Tech looks so bad, is the amount of paperwork the teachers have to do to actually drop the "piece of ****" students that come in thinking they are getting an easy degree and just having the paper makes them worth something. When they slack trough the courses barely getting Cs and are surprised to find that nobody wants them. Then they blame the school because they are about as smart as a brick.

I am a professional, I work hard, do my studying and try to get as much out of it as I can. I am paying a large amount of money in order to take courses after work. Online schools in my experience were a joke, and I got nothing out of them. Community College was fun when I was younger and had no job. But at this time, I cannot afford to quit my job to go to school, and ITT Tech has done well for me.

But then again, I work hard, and try to get my $$ worth.
    Hiring managers should look at the candidate more, and what that piece of paper says less. Bad workers can come from anywhere, I have seen plenty of employees with PHDs from Universities who could hardly send an email, let alone manage a server.

Its really the person, not the school. Its just easier to blame the school when you fail.
    Of course, if ITT would kick the dirtbags out more often, their degrees would look a bit better.

Last note: The education is strong, if you apply yourself. (at least in my experience)
    Experience may vary by campus.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As previously stated ITT Tech is accredited by the ACICS, there are many private colleges that have this accreditation. What people really want to avoid are for-profit schools, not because profit is a bad thing, but it's because these schools have negative press all around them.

Schools like UoP, Kaplan, Westwood, ITT, Strayer, Capella, and the list goes on...these are the school to avoid. For the people that graduated from top schools, employers know their school names, they stand out. For everyone else, I don't really think an employer is going to ask was your school regionally or nationally accredited. I do think they will have second thoughts when they see a for-profit school on your resume. I think UoP is probably at the top of the list of well known for-profits, and they have been sued many times, and settled with the plaintiffs.

Having said that, I'm sure some employers don't care, they just want someone with a degree and I know someone who did go to ITT and they were a very knowledgeable IT worker. Unfortunately...I know more people that went to UoP and ITT and they don't really know anything, so I will think about them before I think about the 1 guy I know that was an ITT success.

No offense to anyone that has gone to one of these schools, but it's hard to shake their bad stigma.
  • Options
    tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL I can't stand ITT Tech. Back in 05 when I was in highschool, I took a course which prepared you for the A+ exam. These jokers came in one day with their pamphlets and propaganda about the industry, acting like any other school besides them would lead us to failure. Famous quote I remember was the lady representative from ITT Tech asking me, "What do you plan to do after highschool? Do you plan to attend ITT Tech?" I answered, "I'm not sure yet, haven't really given it much thought, I might attend ITT Tech". Her response was, "Well then you MIGHT have a future!".

Really can't stand them