Options

What do you have to know about SQL ?

k31453k31453 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am network engineer and I am gonna graduate this year but didnt learn anything about SQL in uni.

Some of the tech support job requires the understanding of SQL.

For level 1, level 2 what should i know about SQL?

Where do I begin?

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't think a network engineer needs much SQL but start with Head First SQL
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Hi! Network engineer here.

Depends your role.
    I had to learn how to replicate databases when I worked at a msp.

Now at a non msp it helps a LOT to know basic queries if you use solarwinds.
    Especially making custom reports. Something you can honestly learn in 2 weeks.

Otherwise it helps with python automation but depends the environment.
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Hi! Network engineer here.

Depends your role.
    I had to learn how to replicate databases when I worked at a msp.

Now at a non msp it helps a LOT to know basic queries if you use solarwinds.
    Especially making custom reports. Something you can honestly learn in 2 weeks.

Otherwise it helps with python automation but depends the environment.

Ok so at the moment I am working for an education sector which provides courses like diploma and stuff. They have AD and Database server. So our staff are 60% sales people who outbound call random people to hook them up for our education that we provide. Now we have to store information how many calls they made and selling stuff like that.

So as Level 1 and Level2 I think they use Microsoft Environment for SQL.

So where should I start off with
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    k31453 wrote: »
    Ok so at the moment I am working for an education sector which provides courses like diploma and stuff. They have AD and Database server. So our staff are 60% sales people who outbound call random people to hook them up for our education that we provide. Now we have to store information how many calls they made and selling stuff like that.

So as Level 1 and Level2 I think they use Microsoft Environment for SQL.

So where should I start off with

You don't nees SQL to find that information. If you are using Cisco IP phones like most shops do nowadays, all you have to do is look at the log reports from the call manager. As a network engineer you should have access to these reports already.
  • Options
    Thanks .. I ll ask him
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    When companies advertise that you need to know MySQL or something related, it usually means that the database they use is that specific database. Someone else is usually the admin for that database but it is good to know how to extract information with Select, From, and Where statements as others have suggested just in case the admin is busy or something comes up.