Options

6 months at first IT job - is it too soon to look elsewhere?

psaechaopsaechao Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been very fortunate to land my first IT job doing help desk, but I feel like can find something better.

I've worked here for 6 months now and I feel like I've mastered nearly 95% of the tier 1 help desk duties - user management in Active Directory, mailbox management in Exchange, general PC software/hardware/connectivity troubleshooting, etc. We provide full IT services for about four major enterprises and host servers for many smaller companies so I am now very familiar with "cloud computing" (essentially remote desktop / terminal services).

The company is very small - less than 20 employees - which means that I've gotten my hands into pretty much everything. Unfortunately though, because the company is quite small, the pay is also ($14, located in California). Recently one of the tier 2 technicians left the company so I basically took his place, although I never got a promotion. Actually, there are no tiers at my company. All help desk technicians get paid the same.

On top of my "tier 1" duties, I do a lot of "tier 2" back-end things now. Although I'm still trying to understand how it all works, I am the one person assigned to build virtual servers for our clients through VMWare (only two other people know how to build the virtual servers: our EVP and systems engineer). Some of things I do in this process are to build the virtual machine in VMWare, install specific applications that the clients will be running, edit DNS records, install backup protection using Microsoft DPM, and set up SFTP so that clients can do a data migration onto our server.

It's only been 6 months, but I feel like I'm at the climax for tier 1 duties. I'm now doing tier 2 things, but my pay hasn't increased although my skill set has. I'm very grateful to have landed my first IT job, but am I crazy to think that I could be paid more? From my vague job duties that I listed, could I be getting paid more? Also, I will have my AS in Networking Systems in April, then my BS in April of 2017.
DeVry B.S Network and Communications Management: Completed
CCENT: Completed
CCNA R/S: 2019

Comments

• Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say stick it out a few months longer and pick up more tier 2 duties.

If only so it looks a little better when you're applying, and you can actually confidently talk about tier 2 stuff.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    6 months is not going to look great on your CV at this stage in your career - personally if you can afford it I would say try for at least a year or it may look like you are easily bored and will suffer the same issues at your next position.

What is the harm in asking if there is more to do - you may well get more work to develop your skills, even it is in not "pure" IT work. This is relevant as most companies make or do something that isn't just IT related so knowing more about the actual business and how it uses IT to enable it to make money is a remarkably good skill to have.

I would also look to learn as much as you can about the tier 2 work and see if your employer will cover the cost of exams so you can start adding some more advanced certs to your CV and boost your ability to get interviews.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was at my first IT job for only 9 months and ever since then my pay has increased. I will say this, not every Help Desk job is the same. A Tier 1/Tier 2 at X,Y,Z company maybe different than a Tier 1/Tier 2 at A, B, C company. So with any fundamental Help Desk career you'll gain some sort of experience that may/may not help you with your next position.

My first IT job I re imaged computers, changed out hard drives this that and the third. I haven't re-imaged or done 80% of what I learning on my first IT job ever since!!!! I gained knowledge yes, but have i done Help Desk related duties since you ask? NO. Though, learning the basics and fundamentals account for the other 20% that I've used since. So, do you have to stay at the job over 6 months, the answer is NO. You might find another Tier 1/Tier 2 job that it just answering phones and putting in remedy tickets. You might find another job where it's less hands-on. So like i said before I see no problem in you leaving because Not all jobs are the same , they just share the same job title.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Try to get at least 1 year on your resume. Absorb as many tier 2 duties as you can. Try to knock out at least one decent cert depending on what direction you want to go. If you want to stay doing systems work then get at least your MCSA in the next 6 or so months. If you want to try to move into networking then try to knock out your CCNA. Get at least 1 solid year of experience and one of those certs on your resume and you should be able to find something else higher paying.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    I never did help desk work. When I began doing IT work, I went straight into desktop support. But I had years of experience doing my own PC repairs for people on the side, so I was already prepared for it. I don't have the patience to be on the phone with someone, and tell them to click the start button and they say "The what button?".
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    psaechao wrote: »
    The company is very small - less than 20 employees - which means that I've gotten my hands into pretty much everything. Unfortunately though, because the company is quite small, the pay is also ($14, located in California).

Not True AT ALL.
    Im currently at a company with 19 employees. They compensation is ABOVE average.

Size of Company <> Size of Compensation.
    Stinginess of Company = Size of Compensation.

With that being said... it sounds like you landed a Great gig :]
    GET that EXPERIENCE!
    lol

Consider this:
    How long did the Tier-2 tech work there, before he left?
    (Does that change your mind a little?)

What Certs do you have??
    If you dont have any... then you Need to GET some.

Get on the Wait list for Stanly College's VMware course.
    Consider taking Professor Messer's NETWORK+. (or his Windows 7 Config)

Just Do Something!!
    Consider the next 6 months your PAID Internship.
    Get a couple of Certs, then have a "sit down" with the BOSS.

If they don't want to Pay.... (which is possible Since the other guy left)... then it's time to FLY :]
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going to disagree a bit here and say 6 months is fine if the next job is a good deal better. You just have to justify why you left after 6 months. No reason to stay if there's a way better opportunity out there.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with markulous. If there is a better opportunity then no reason to pass it up. Probably shouldn't make it a habit of bailing every six months though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    If they don't want to Pay.... (which is possible Since the other guy left)... then it's time to FLY :]

I believe this is the main reason why he had left. As the new guy, I was getting paid almost what he was and he had been working there for over 2.5 years.

And I guess what's really bothering me is that there isn't much room to move up outside of the help desk. There is a TON of room for learning, but because the company is so small, all positions outside of the help desk have already been filled by guys who have been working there since the start of the company.

Our help desk doesn't have a "tiered" system so all help desk techs get paid about the same amount (DOE when they first got hired), regardless of what type of duties they do. For example, we have one tech who does lots of the network administration. He coordinates with contractors to go onsite to conduct installs for our servers and firewalls. He is also the face of our client's IT department when contacting their ISP for networking issues. I would consider him a tier 2 tech/jr. network admin, although we have similar pay rates. He is simply our "help desk tech who does lots of networking related stuff".
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    I'm going to disagree a bit here and say 6 months is fine if the next job is a good deal better. You just have to justify why you left after 6 months. No reason to stay if there's a way better opportunity out there.

Thanks for the input, markulous. I think the best decision is to continue working there and to gain as much knowledge as I can, all while keeping an eye open for potential job opportunities that would be considered a "vertical move" and not "lateral". Robert Half actually just contacted me about a "Systems Analyst" position, where the salary was close to $50K and the company has over 200 employees nation wide - a major step up. I don't want to make it sound like it's all about money, but if the opportunity is there, I'd really like to take it.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the best decision is to continue working there and to gain as much knowledge as I can, all while keeping an eye open for potential job opportunities that would be considered a "vertical move" and not "lateral".

This is the best thing you can do honestly. I am in the position I am now because I stayed at the help desk, learning all that I could while I kept my eye out. You have a job now, so you don't have to rush and accept anything that you come across. Worst case: It takes you a while to find something, but even in this case - you are still gaining experience on your resume.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the input, markulous. I think the best decision is to continue working there and to gain as much knowledge as I can, all while keeping an eye open for potential job opportunities that would be considered a "vertical move" and not "lateral". Robert Half actually just contacted me about a "Systems Analyst" position, where the salary was close to $50K and the company has over 200 employees nation wide - a major step up. I don't want to make it sound like it's all about money, but if the opportunity is there, I'd really like to take it.

Sounds like you have a good plan then. :)