Options

Any Navy Guys here been to System Admin School? (C School)

nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
What was your experience with it and how useful was the information you learned there? I know Navy schools tend to suck .

Comments

• Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a buddy that went through 2791. He said it was a pretty informative school but he came from a strictly radio shop now he's working with CTN's.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how did he managed to work with the CTNs? i should have joined the Navy as one . seems like they get into more in depth networking stuff
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    A long time ago back in like 2003, It was pretty good to get an idea of how to do your job on the ship, but pretty much worthless in the real world. I also came from a fire control background, so I never got the IT A school. I just jumped straight into sysadmin from a cross rate.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    He's at a NCDOC. You could always cross-rate to CTN. My guess is they're still a pretty undermanned rate.

I don't know your whole situation but if you have a chance to get 2791 now while attached to a command I would probably do it, it's paid training ya know? Most of the IT billets I saw when I was choosing to stay in or get out listed 2791 as a primary NEC so if you stay in and do another tour you'll probably get sent to that school anyway.
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    A long time ago back in like 2003, It was pretty good to get an idea of how to do your job on the ship, but pretty much worthless in the real world.

Agreed, they are worthless on the civilian side but if you get the NEC that could open up some doors to get your hands on more gear while your still in thus translating to more stuff you can add to a resume when you get out.