Options

How much weight do NSA CAE's hold?

SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
For those in the DoD/FedGov information security / assurance field – particularly those who may have been hiring managers....

What sort of weight does NSA CAE degree designation hold within the hiring process?

At the current time, I’m highly interested in the two following programs:

Northeastern University – Online Fast-Track BS in Information Technology

Norwich University – Online BS in Cybersecurity

The former will accept my associates degree in-full (per their “fast track” program), and will only cost me $2,000, when factoring in employee tuition reimbursement. Bonus points because it is completed in 18 months. This program IT NOT an NSA CAE.

The latter will only be taking ~48 credits of mine (per official assessment), and will cost around $13,000. This program IS an NSA CAE.

That said... is it really worth it to get a degree solely for the CAE designation? Would that provide a significant, competitive bump in the hiring process? Or is it designed primarily for those out of high school who desire guidance towards a solid security education?
LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Think about it...the NSA is saying the curriculum is what is needed. That right there ensures you will learn relevant subjects because without meeting requirements they do not get the designation. Is it worth the extra $11,000 plus additional time? That is a hard call. Ask both universities where their graduates get jobs, how fast they get jobs, and average salary if they know it...these can be major factors into your decision for obvious reasons.

Also...is one program more established than another? Are you trying to get into information security? I would compare the curriculums and see what is different and similar. I would think that whichever one you choose is where you would most likely end up finding a job...either IT (sys admin, etc.) or Infosec...at least at first. Seriously though, find the answers to those questions I listed and it should help you out.
  • Options
    curtisc83curtisc83 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For those in the DoD/FedGov information security / assurance field – particularly those who may have been hiring managers....

What sort of weight does NSA CAE degree designation hold within the hiring process?

At the current time, I’m highly interested in the two following programs:

Northeastern University – Online Fast-Track BS in Information Technology

Norwich University – Online BS in Cybersecurity

The former will accept my associates degree in-full (per their “fast track” program), and will only cost me $2,000, when factoring in employee tuition reimbursement. Bonus points because it is completed in 18 months. This program IT NOT an NSA CAE.

The latter will only be taking ~48 credits of mine (per official assessment), and will cost around $13,000. This program IS an NSA CAE.

That said... is it really worth it to get a degree solely for the CAE designation? Would that provide a significant, competitive bump in the hiring process? Or is it designed primarily for those out of high school who desire guidance towards a solid security education?

I've worked for the DOD as a contractor and now as a GS. During my entire 15 year career I have yet to see the NSA CAE mentioned while hiring is going on. The name of the school seems to matter more and of course the candidates interview skills. The only place I do hear about the NSA CAE is edu forums. Even the DOD directive that governs what IT Cert you need for your position doesn't mention the NSA thing. Maybe that's why I never hear about it since it's not something that's required. That doesn't mean it doesn't have worth I'm sure the NSA CAE schools give a stellar education when compared to non CAE schools which will lead to a fantastic career. If you see worth in it then pick a school that has it.
    Liberty University - Overton Graduate School of Business -Class of 2013-
    U.S. Army Paratrooper & OIF Veteran

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/curtisc83
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Will it be a factor in whether you get an interview? Probably not.
    Will the more rigorous curriculum help you once you do land an interview? Probably.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Think about it...the NSA is saying the curriculum is what is needed. That right there ensures you will learn relevant subjects because without meeting requirements they do not get the designation.

TechGuru80 -- I fully agree with this, but my intent with the post was to find out if it actually provides a quantifiable bump in the hiring process (much like veterans preference does with the points system)... something I should've clarified a bit further in my initial post! Looking at job announcements, not once have I seen one that even mentioned CAEs nor alluded to any sort of official preference (in contrast to other federal jobs with factors like veterans preference). The NSA security-related jobs just list out interested majors.
    Also...is one program more established than another? Are you trying to get into information security? I would compare the curriculums and see what is different and similar. I would think that whichever one you choose is where you would most likely end up finding a job...either IT (sys admin, etc.) or Infosec...at least at first. Seriously though, find the answers to those questions I listed and it should help you out.

There is certainly a "seniority" gap within the different programs, with the Norwich BS (CAE) being less than a year old. The other (Northeastern BS) is much more established, yet only a general IT degree. Fortunately, I've already been in the security world for a year at this point, with 4+ years of other IT work behind me. So, hopefully that and related 8570 certs make up for other areas!
    curtisc83 wrote: »
    I've worked for the DOD as a contractor and now as a GS. During my entire 15 year career I have yet to see the NSA CAE mentioned while hiring is going on. The name of the school seems to matter more and of course the candidates interview skills. The only place I do hear about the NSA CAE is edu forums. Even the DOD directive that governs what IT Cert you need for your position doesn't mention the NSA thing. Maybe that's why I never hear about it since it's not something that's required. That doesn't mean it doesn't have worth I'm sure the NSA CAE schools give a stellar education when compared to non CAE schools which will lead to a fantastic career. If you see worth in it then pick a school that has it.

curtisc83 -- thanks for your input. While I've never worked in the DoD arena, that's also been my experience. No mention in DoDI 8570, and something I've never seen mentioned in job announcements outside of related scholarship-for-work / fellowship announcements.
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • Options
    Ede890Ede890 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the veterans pref. isn't as much as you think trust me I KNOW lol icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TechGuru80 -- I fully agree with this, but my intent with the post was to find out if it actually provides a quantifiable bump in the hiring process (much like veterans preference does with the points system)... something I should've clarified a bit further in my initial post! Looking at job announcements, not once have I seen one that even mentioned CAEs nor alluded to any sort of official preference (in contrast to other federal jobs with factors like veterans preference). The NSA security-related jobs just list out interested majors.
    It is probably going to be hard to get a straight answer as specific as that. This is because secretly behind doors is where the school and degree get evaluated based on the people involved with hiring's point of view.

What was the reason for the switch? If you preferred infosec and that is where you want to be, then you might get more out of the infosec degree.

You also might want to check who the faculty are because you might have people with a lot of valuable experience at one school and not the other.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly i've never seen it brought up, even at NSA. I have seen FBI job postings mention the CNSS certifications, but... the FBI has issues anyway.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.