Options

What IT job will be best for me in the future? I cannot figure out what path to take

jaycrewzjaycrewz Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
Skip to the bottom for the TLDR questions.

So a little over a year ago I made the decision to break into IT. After years of being a tech nerd, I did some research and initially decided on getting the COMPTIA trifecta to break into the field. I got my A+ last year and landed a decent Desktop Support role recently with a regional healthcare company. I was lucky enough that my non-technical bachelors, but years of personal technical knowledge got me into the company's second tier of support without any professional experience in IT.

Now I'm wondering where I want to eventually end up and cannot decide what to start studying for. Can you help me out? I've always enjoyed researching computer parts, and building them....and Ive also enjoyed learned the ins and outs of my BIOS settings and Windows in order to get programs and games to work the way I want. Ive also done the same with Android, and take great enjoyment in rooting, flashing and tweaking my mobile devices...as well as staying on top of great new mobile tech.

Anyways, I used to think I'd really want to end up a sys-admin, but having been at the new job for a little bit and becoming more familiar with what our sys-admin does...I dunno if its for me. It seems a bit boring to only be building images and administrating through Active Directory all the time. My role actually allows me to have pretty wide use of AD, and its really just ok. Its not as cool as I thought it would be.

While studying for my A+ through the Mike Myers book, I really enjoyed learning all the technical and business history behind many different components and OS's. I kinda liked learning the networking stuff too...but figured out early on that dealing with and configuring routers, switches, and numbers all day wasn't for me.

Part of me thinking getting the N+ and S+ will help me pad my resume, learn some good information, while also becoming certain if networking and info-security is something I definitely don't want to specialize in. But the other part of me wonders if Ill be wasting time and money better spent on a different path Im meant for.

So what path is good for a guy that loves:

1. Researching the best components for new PC builds, contrasting and comparing different CPUs, RAM, and video cards along the way.

2. Putting new builds together in a way that's safe, efficient, and ensures optimum hardware performance

3. Tweaking BIOS settings and Windows settings to get maximum software performance....the highest speeds, and smoothest user experience

4. Researching the newest and best mobile tech devices...comparing the pros and cons of a new Android, Apple or Blackberry devices...or staying on top of Google's Project Ara modular phone.

5. Tweaking Android settings and flashing new custom software for maximum freedom and performance.

Any help would be great. I just want to keep growing and move towards a position I truly love...and never get complacent in my new career. Keep in mind that I eventually want to graduate out of the lower level desktop support role.

Comments

• Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what you described... PC tech at a place like NCIX. IT is mostly enterprise stuff. No-one in the corporate world cares much about putting together own hardware in an optimal manner. Usually it's a see-saw between you and management to get the most money to get the most server for the money.
  • Options
    That's something I also left out. I really enjoy getting bang for buck in terms of performance. So getting the "most server for the money" could be enjoyable for me. What do you recommend in terms of furthering my knowledge? Which cert path to undertake?

Also, is project management anything Id want to do? Seeing as they deal with planning and budgets? Or are these jobs generally less technical and more business-like?
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From reading your post, this was clear as day: IT Architect or Engineer. Those kind of roles look for optimization, performance tuning and max efficiency. Take a look at what these kind of jobs do. I'm sure the position descriptions will likely line up with your expectations.

The tough part is that you won't easily land those kind of roles without significant in-field experience and education. If I were you, I would take on any kind of support role (esp. sysadmin) so you can gain a larger understanding of how all of the various platforms and hardware work.

Perhaps if you know a long range goal (lets say a System Engineer), then you can refocus how you see current opportunties/roles that will ultimately get you there. Sysadmin work can be a blast to do if you're trying to figure out the "how does this work" part of it as well.
  • Options
    Based on my posts, what certification route do you suggest to take while I gain my experience towards a position like IT Architect? I am already working a desktop support role as the second tier of my company's MIS/IT department. I just want to study up while I'm gaining my professional experience.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IT architects need a very wide range of knowledge, at least if IT is considered a complete system/network. You could really use 'pro level or mid tier' in servers, networks, storage, virtual, cloud and desktop to a lesser extent. Think CCNP, VCAP, MCSE, AWS, SNIA. You really need to figure out how they work together whether good or bad. Great experience and knowledge can be earned at SMB's that have few IT employees that get to touch everything. MSP's are an option but I think it's more putting out fires that can be stressful and not give much of an opportunity to get in depth with the network. MSP's are a popular landing for IT architects it's just getting there through promotion seems unlikely and not very optimal path.

Project management is more business oriented. You don't need much technical ability to perform well. You need to be able to prioritize tasks and bridge stakeholders and IT. IT architects should have some PM knowledge as they'll likely work with them. Project+ provides plenty of knowledge, PMP is a bit much.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    ^Very informative. Thanks