Options

Describe your managment network where you work.

pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
I'd like to get some input on how differing companies have their management networks setup and how access is working to them.

Are you just vlanning or using a separate physical network?

What type of applications are you separating?

Is there a time you don't separate out your management interfaces?

Comments

• Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Would need to know a bit more info about what exactly you mean by management network.

But for a VMware environment, as a consultant, I always recommend my clients use a dedidcated management cluster for their vCenter, SRM, vRO, vCNS, etc.

In terms of networking, same concept applies, VLANs for servers, desktops, printers, wireless, SAN, NAS, and so on. It really depends on the project, requirements and costs.
  • Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    TheProf,

Kind of what you described is what I'm wondering about. I've worked on different networks but most of them have not had a managment network and none of them separated out their printers, server etc. on a differing vlan. The ones I worked on vlan'd by department, building or floor of building. My current network is flat except for voice.

Can you tell if I VLAN'd printers, wireless, server etc. how that would look like from a routing/network standpoint? To me it would be a little complicated to manage if you had a smaller IT department and only a few people to set things up.

I think it would be nice and make things easy to track down in case of a problem but still a little hard to manage.

Thanks..