Options

Not as advertised

Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
So here's the situation, I recently took a position that while going through the interview process was advertised as a network troubleshooting role. In my previous IT job I was a monitoring analyst, so pretty much a tier 1 position making calls on down circuits, servers, databases, etc. After three weeks at my new position I am finding that the job isn't really what was advertised. Essentially all we are doing is opening trouble tickets on maintenance windows and contacting ISP's, which is almost exactly what I was doing at my prior position. No configuring, no troubleshooting.

The biggest reason I took this position was because, 1) I was trying to advance into a more challenging role and 2) I was extremely unhappy at my last position, so I kind of feel as though I just jumped ship on the first offer.

I'm kind of confused on what to do here. I personally believe that I can take on a larger role as before my monitoring analyst role I was in the Navy and did a lot of work with cisco routers, configuring satcom IP links and building ACL's. I don't necessarily think that I deserve some high level engineering role, in fact I don't think that I deserve anything but I just feel that I can do a whole lot more than I'm doing now. I'm worried that by sticking it out for 6 months, I'll take a hit on my resume for pretty much making a lateral transition to a new job or that by bailing too soon I'll take a hit on my resume for not being loyal/ team player / company focused, you name it.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in my shoes and could offer some advice right now...
Working on: CCNP Switch

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No one will fault you for moving up in the world. No one you want to work for anyway. Like you said, a bunch of short term lateral moves will start to look bad though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, I have taken a position that ended up not being what was advertised. I got some exposure to the technologies that were advertised, but I was not really allowed input into things... the boss was the biggest micro-manager I have ever seen. It was billed as a job that required technical expertise to think on your own and contribute, but that wasn't the case. On paper, I was able to use it as an opportunity to advance to my next position, but it was soul-sucking. I would look for your next job and say that you don't have anything against your current position, but you were looking to grow and it was more of the same, or something worded a bit better.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Were you explained the responsibilities during an interview? If so, talk to the one that explained the responsibilities. I'd show interest on working on issues or at least to work alongside those that are resolving the issues. If that's not an option, I'd get out as quick as you can. It's becoming more and more important to show progression on a resume. If you're only there for a month or two you can explain that you left because it wasn't what you expected.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Thanks for the response everyone, I really appreciate it.

@Techfiend, Yes, the responsibilities were discussed during my interviews. In almost every other situation I would totally discuss my confusion with my interviewer, however that is my direct report and from what I've seen and heard so far he can be a bit of a loose cannon. I would love to work with some of our supporting teams but the role here seem so ridged that its very hard to branch off of your position.

If I do decide to jump ship, how exactly would I convey this on my resume? Honestly, I've only really been in a training role working side by side with coworkers since I've been here.
  • Options
    How long have you been there?

I think exhausting every possibility is worth it before finding another position. Let's face it, finding another job isn't all that fun and can take a lot longer than expected.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was actually about to post a related question. When you find yourself in a position like this, what do you put on your resume? Your title and what you actually did or what you were supposed to be doing? I don't want to misrepresent myself whenever I apply for my next position, but the current job is literally nothing like it was advertised. With any luck i'll stay within my current contracting company, but goodness.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, been through that. I looked for another position, found it and then quit the position that was far different than advertised.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    SaSkiller wrote: »
    I was actually about to post a related question. When you find yourself in a position like this, what do you put on your resume?

You put your current position.
    You put what you do, your duties, etc.
    And you explain in the interview why it isn't working out.

I have a job on my resume that is 3 months. The place told me they were going through a merger it would take 2 years.
    It took 2 months instead and they told me my position would be eliminated in another 3 months due to the corporate office was relocating to another state.
    I just explain in interviews. I did this while I was there. This is what I learned. This is what happened. **** happens. I moved forward.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, I think i'll be hanging around for a while, but i'll apply this when I am ready to go.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This happen to me at my last gig at a law firm. It was sold as one thing in the interview, but completely different once I got there. I was there 3 months and spent about 2 of months looking for a new gig.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    My current job was not as advertised nor as promised during the 2x interviews that I did. Very similar to what "powerfool" explained, except that my boss is a great guy, the team is awesome...there is just no growth. Pay is good, brand name is good, and a bit of 'exposure' to technologies that I don't get to configure nor make decisions about....'good' job, not 'great' though. I've been here for a year....
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    I'd say that the worst part about this situation is that I really really really enjoy my co-workers. It's been a while since I've been in a position that I work with like minded individuals that have the same career aspirations.

@Techfiend, I'm going on about 3 weeks now. I'm defiantly going to try to exhaust all options here first but in the meantime I've polished up my resume and put it out to see if I get any bites.

Thanks again everyone for the input!
  • Options
    You'll find good people pretty much everywhere you go. It may sound kind of selfish but you make your career, not them, prioritize yourself to become the better man.