Options

WGU vs Capella

chris777chris777 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have my associates degree, A+ Net+ and Sec+. I've been in IT for about 15years now. From support, helpdesk, server, email admin, security, websphere developer. I need to go back to school and get my Bachelors, but I have a 1yr old and a 3yrd at home and obviously a full time job. So my priorities lie more in getting the degree quickly vs getting tons of certificates along the way. My job will cover, I believe, 80% of the costs. So costs isn't a huge factor. It's mostly time/effort.

Both are valid accredited schools. I know many here have gone to WGU. I have yet to talked to counselors from either side, wanted to get everyone's opinion here first. Pros Cons of each? Let me start with my understandings so far(limited).

WGU
  • Slightly cheaper
  • Certificates will immediately knock out some classes. No life/work credits.
  • You are required to put in a certain # of hours or credit units. Which may be a bit busy for me.
  • The basic IT degree seems much easier than the others? 2 CCNA or MSCA certs vs 2 CIW certs.
Capella
  • Offers life/work credits.(not sure terms)
  • Seems to have normal credit hours, so I could take even one class per semester?
Admittingly I don't know a whole lot about either college. But these 2 are the ones that stuck out to me in my little research. I am hoping for some good info here to make a solid decision on what I should do.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    The first question has to do with money. You said your work is going to cover 80%, so then you just have to come up with 20%. Are you going to be able to do that out of pocket or will you need financial aid? The answer to that question will determine how you move forward. If you need to get financial aid to cover the rest (or the initial outlay if your employer does "reimbursement" rather than paying for it up front) then you will have to complete a specific number of credits per semester in order to keep getting financial aid. The good thing about WGU is that you have six months per term, which is more than the typical semester (I can't speak to Capella), so there's slightly less pressure. You need to complete about three classes per six month term to stay eligible for financial aid.

Just some initial thoughts.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one pretty expensive (Capella) and one pretty cheap (WGU)?? Surprised your company would just be OK with that. Thought they were way different in costs.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another thing to keep in mind is the potential repercussions of WGU's current education audit. I don't know what the implications might be, but I would look into it a bit further before jumping on that train. There may be none... but just check.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    The other thing to consider is how much you do around the house. I've been a fairly regular student since 2007 and have four kids, three of which have been born since I started. It worked out that my wife worked opposite shifts from me and then, once I moved up enough, she was able to stay at home full time, but working full time, being a full time parent, and going to school full time is pretty rough. I've seen folks accelerate the hell out of their degree program, some even completing their entire Master's program in four months, but I don't think their home lives are comparable to yours. So that's definitely something to consider.

WGU and Capella's FlexPath program are entirely self-paced. You get an allotted amount of time to complete as many credits as you can, but you have to be aware of your capabilities. If you're a procrastinator it's gonna be rough no matter what program you go into. But at the same time you can get as much done as fast as you want, so you have some flexibility as well. Though it seems Capella's price is $2200 for 12 weeks vs WGU's $3000 for six months. The price doesn't seem all that comparable. You can get a lot more done for the same amount of money at WGU than Capella.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
  • Options
    goatama wrote: »
    The first question has to do with money. You said your work is going to cover 80%, so then you just have to come up with 20%. Are you going to be able to do that out of pocket or will you need financial aid? The answer to that question will determine how you move forward. If you need to get financial aid to cover the rest (or the initial outlay if your employer does "reimbursement" rather than paying for it up front) then you will have to complete a specific number of credits per semester in order to keep getting financial aid. The good thing about WGU is that you have six months per term, which is more than the typical semester (I can't speak to Capella), so there's slightly less pressure. You need to complete about three classes per six month term to stay eligible for financial aid.

Just some initial thoughts.
    Good question. I need to find this out. I'm not really clear how much the total cost would be. But I need to keep this in mind.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one pretty expensive (Capella) and one pretty cheap (WGU)?? Surprised your company would just be OK with that. Thought they were way different in costs.
    The trick is to find out what school you want first, and give your company only one option.
    powerfool wrote: »
    Another thing to keep in mind is the potential repercussions of WGU's current education audit. I don't know what the implications might be, but I would look into it a bit further before jumping on that train. There may be none... but just check.
    I was not aware of this, thanks! I may just hold off until that clears. I'd hate to end up paying for a bachelors and it end up being called a cert/degree mill and no longer accredited.
    The other thing to consider is how much you do around the house. I've been a fairly regular student since 2007 and have four kids, three of which have been born since I started. It worked out that my wife worked opposite shifts from me and then, once I moved up enough, she was able to stay at home full time, but working full time, being a full time parent, and going to school full time is pretty rough. I've seen folks accelerate the hell out of their degree program, some even completing their entire Master's program in four months, but I don't think their home lives are comparable to yours. So that's definitely something to consider.

WGU and Capella's FlexPath program are entirely self-paced. You get an allotted amount of time to complete as many credits as you can, but you have to be aware of your capabilities. If you're a procrastinator it's gonna be rough no matter what program you go into. But at the same time you can get as much done as fast as you want, so you have some flexibility as well. Though it seems Capella's price is $2200 for 12 weeks vs WGU's $3000 for six months. The price doesn't seem all that comparable. You can get a lot more done for the same amount of money at WGU than Capella.
    Once I commit to it, I won't be a procrastinator. And the difference in price, in my mind, can only be made up through the difference in total classes. I.E. My associates takes half away for both schools. My certs take a few classes for both schools. and Capella allows life experience to take away a few more classes. Making it roughly the same cost, yet shorter duration. I would have low expectations that they'd take both certs and life experience. Probably be one package that cuts out the same as WGU would.
  • Options
    JohnLJohnL Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently working on my MSISA at WGU and I have had a great experience there. I've attended brick and mortar schools where the professors couldn't care less about my progress. It feels different at WGU because I am in constant contact with my student mentors. I would recommend them to anyone.

One thing to note is that the "audit" that WGU is going through has been going on for years and is more about competency based and online education.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/01/15/education-departments-inspector-generals-high-stakes-audit-western-governors-u
    B.B.A. in Finance - 2007
    A.A.S. in Computer Networking & System Administration - 2014
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance - 2016
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: Routing & Switching
    Working on CISSP
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    chris777 wrote: »
    I'd hate to end up paying for a bachelors and it end up being called a cert/degree mill and no longer accredited.

That rules out Capella, then. For-profit degrees generally aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    That rules out Capella, then. For-profit degrees generally aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
    Is there any other valid accredited school that takes life/work credits? That was the main reason I found Capella. And the article I found said they were legit along side WGU.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I've never heard of a legit school that will give you credits for life experience without you having to write/do a lengthy project that's at least as difficult as taking a real course in the first place. Yeah, Capella might give you 'free' credits for life experience, but they also give your resume a free trip to the trash can at many places of employment ;)

If you really know the material well enough to receive 'life experience' credits in the subject, it's easy enough to test out of a course at WGU. Few hours worth of preassessment and possibly some brushing up, then take the final.
  • Options
    Is there any other valid accredited school that takes life/work credits? That was the main reason I found Capella. And the article I found said they were legit along side WGU.

I think the general consensus is that any school that actually gives you credits based on a resume or work/life experience is essentially a degree mill. And for-profits are pretty much right out for getting anything beyond mid- or entry-level. I had a coworker that got his bachelor's from University of Phoenix who said it was the worst decision of his life, both monetarily and the value that he felt he got for his education. He went to WGU for his MBA. Of course, YMMV.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
  • Options
    I think the general consensus is that any school that actually gives you credits based on a resume or work/life experience is essentially a degree mill. And for-profits are pretty much right out for getting anything beyond mid- or entry-level. I had a coworker that got his bachelor's from University of Phoenix who said it was the worst decision of his life, both monetarily and the value that he felt he got for his education. He went to WGU for his MBA. Of course, YMMV.
    This is all good information. I am glad to have asked before making any rash decisions. I've always been drawn towards WGU for the credits that come along w/the degree. So I'll probably do that. Question now will be price vs time. I need to find out how hard this will be on my family before signing in blood.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have had a great experience with WGU and it's competency-based learning structure when I completed my B.S. It works well for my schedule and keeps my wallet in check. ;)

I am about to pursue my Master's at WGU and I looked at Capella and it just didn't appeal to me as highly but that's just my opinion.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I am very critical of For-Profit schools....not necessarily because of my experience with one, but because of the experiences of many students that I have observed. If you do research on the industry, you will quickly become disgusted of them. You can read about how the For-Profit sector targets Veterans because of the G.I. bill, and how they (APSCU) spends millions of dollars lobbying each year to prevent any change from taking place. Now with all that being said, are there good For-Profit schools out there that provide a good return on investment for their students? Sure, absolutely!

I have a few points that I would like to make to you, and I will be perfectly honest with you.

I know many successful individuals who are working in IT who have degrees from For-Profit colleges (a few of which who are far more successful than myself). These individuals include graduates of ECPI, Devry, University of Phoenix, ITT Tech, Strayer.....the list goes on and on....However, a few of those same individuals have confided to me that they wish they had selected a Non-Profit school....because they are still paying on their loans years after attending (which would already be paid off had they attended a non-profit)

Now, outside of IT though, I know of far too many people who have pursued degrees at For-Profit (Nationally accredited) institutions for careers in Healthcare, Accounting, Nutrition, Criminal Justice, etc....only to discover at the end of their degree program that the credential that they were conferred is worthless, not taken seriously by employers, and not able to lead to gainful employment in their field of study. The For-Profit school makes off like a bandit with the Federal financial aid money while the student is saddled with debt and unable to get a job that would allow them to pay off the debt.

There are a lot of troubling statistics and resources that I can provide information to you that support this. However, you're interested in Information Technology, which seems to be an exclusion to the many students who find themselves unemployable after attending some For-Profit colleges.

There are some employers that will always look down upon Online degree program, regardless of whether they are Nationally or Regionally accredited. A VERY successful and qualified techexams member (irisTheAngel) could tell you about the time that she was interviewed and one of her interviewers was extremely skeptical of her because of her online degrees from WGU. Not only was she offered the job, but she declined.

Bottom line, Most Employers care about your ability to prove your competency in your subject matter areas. As long as you are able to prove your competency to your employer, and sell yourself, you can likely land the job. You will always run into a few people who prefer to select applicants who possess a degree from a reputable brick and mortar school.

Now, if you are interested in ACADEMIA, or transferring your credits to a Regionally accredited school (that is a Non-Profit), then yes, your degree will be worthless. Very few schools will even consider allowing your credits to transfer aside from other For-Profit schools.

With all of that being said......There is a lot of scrutiny of For-Profit schools that is well deserved. I think a troubling statistic is this....

For profit schools account for 13% of all students but almost half of all student loan defaults.

For more information on the For-Profit school sector, consider reading these resources.

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Ameri.../dp/B00JAJGIIK

Degrees of Inequality: How the Politics of Higher Education Sabotaged the American Dream: Suzanne Mettler: 9780465044962: Amazon.com: Books

This is the investigation on the For-Profit sector conducted by the HELP committee:

http://www.help.senate.gov/imo/media...t/Contents.pdf (Executive summary also attached for your review).

My goal IS NOT to talk you out of a decision that you are committed to, or which you believe is the best program for you. My goal is to inform and educate others who consider enrolling in a program at a "Nationally" accredited or For-Profit school. Attending a Nationally accredited school did impede me from achieving my educational goals. If your goal is only to earn a bachelor degree and you have no interest in pursuing education at a Non-Profit (Regionally) accredited school, then that may not matter to you.

The thing that sickens me though....is that right now....young kids are being convinced into signing up at schools such as ITT Tech.....

They take out loans for $45,000+ for an Associates degree....or around $90,000 for a Bachelor degree...and then find themselves completely unemployable after graduating. Meanwhile, there is currently a lawsuit against ITT Tech from the CFPB and the SEC. Of course, the Recruiters don't tell this while you are enrolling in the school.

Blockbuster Lawsuit Claims Abusive Practices Persist at ITT Tech

http://programinfo.itt-tech.edu/cost.pdf
    CFPB Sues For-Profit College Chain ITT For Predatory Lending > Newsroom > Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
    https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-loan-programs

I wish that I could say that ITT Tech was the only For-Profit college with ongoing investigations and lawsuits...but it's not...

Law Enforcement Investigations and Actions Regarding For-Profit Colleges |

In regard to Capella, I would recommend you read the reviews here:

Capella University Reviews - Is it a good college?

After my experience with a For-Profit college (especially one that's nationally accredited), I wouldn't ever consider one again....but your experience may differ from mine, and also from all the students who are complaining about their experience on the links that I provided.

Make the decision that is right for you. Hopefully someone else on these boards can provide you information about their personal experience with Capella.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was not aware of this, thanks! I may just hold off until that clears. I'd hate to end up paying for a bachelors and it end up being called a cert/degree mill and no longer accredited.

As a heads up the audit won't lead to getting the credentials pulled. What it will do depending on it's findings will cause one of three scenarios.

Scenario 1: The Inspector General finds the faculty role to be adequate in regards to "regular and substantial interaction" between students, instructors and faculty. No changes made.

Scenario 2: The Inspector General finds the faculty role to be inadequate in regards to "regular and substantial interaction" between students, instructors and faculty. WGU and/or congress petition the ruling and legislation is changed to encompass the changing needs and roles of the online college explosion and classroom differences. Federal aid eligibility is pulled until WGU makes changes to meet the requirements or the requirements are modified.

Scenario 3: The Inspector General finds the faculty role to be inadequate in regards to "regular and substantial interaction" between students, instructors and faculty.Neither WGU nor congress protests the ruling and WGU modifies the course structure to have course mentors make more frequent dialog or farm a small amount of the courses to physical class rooms and make the coursework and materials available online and bypassing a good portion of the rules as many of the community college and state universities do.

Regardless of the outcome the result will not be the pulling of accreditation as accreditation is tied more to the merit of the coursework and its validity and standardization then the schools designation. For instance Texas State offers both distance learning , traditional learning and correspondence courses, alll of which are under SACS accreditation.

There is pretty much no chance they will pull accreditation but a chance that they will require course changes that will make for painful course adjustments for the students to have to deal with.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    that rules out capella, then. For-profit degrees generally aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

BURRRN
    lol