Options

IOS upgrade problem

jmanningjmanning Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to upgrade the IOS in my 2507 router but I am having trouble. I enter " copy tftp flash" into the command line and go through the steps but when the router goes through the reboot cycle the image is not copied and I enter ROM monitor mode. Have any of you guys encountered this before? The router and server are able to ping each other I don't know what the problem is.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you TFTP'ing from a server or another router? Is that image you're trying to TFPT over running on another router? Can you run a different image on this router with no priblem? Are you sure the image you're TFTP'ing isn't corrupt? What size is the image, what size is your flash? What does show flash show? What did a show flash show? Can you even get to a show flash or are you stuck in rom monitor mode now forever? Have you upgraded the flash recently? Have you downgraded the boot roms?

And what does the console session show when you TFTP the image? Does it ask about erasing the flash? Does it show it's copying the image? The image should be copied before it reboots....

I guess it comes down to 3 possible problems -- IOS image, flash memory (or other hardware problem), or operator error.

Which problems can you rule out?

Sorry about answering you question with lots of questions. :D But think about all the great practice you're getting. And you're probably going to learn more than you ever wanted to by eventually figuring this out.

Oh, and any idea what your configuration register was/is? (this would go under operator error).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    The IOS size is 15MB, I have 16MB flash. I am tftp'ing from a server. The current show flash shows a image name of igs-i-l.111-24.bin. I can't even save a config file to flash, every time I boot router I get prompted to go into setup mode. Here is sh flash output:

System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 3928052 igs-i-l.111-24.bin
    [3928116 bytes used, 12849100 available, 16777216 total]
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jmanning wrote:
    I can't even save a config file to flash, every time I boot router I get prompted to go into setup mode.
    If you do a show version, the last line should be the configuration register value.

0x2102 is "normal"

Other values could allow you bypass the startup config file... like for password recovery. A different value would boot the router to ROM Monitor Mode -- which sounds like what you are getting now.

enable
    conf t
    config-register 0x2102

will get you back to where you want to be.... if you are not there already.

Even if this isn't your problem -- the configuration register values could come in handy some day.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    As your flash is set to read only you have to boot into RxBoot mode but issueing the command config-reg 0x2101

You can then erase the flash

after reboot ensure your tftp and interface are in the same subnet, as Rxboot doesnt support IP routing.

more info here for you

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800941aa.shtml
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Yeah that was the problem. The register was set to 0x2142 or something. All is good, thanks.