Options

At Crossroads about what to do next

jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
I hope this is a good place to post this but if it isn't I apologize ahead of time. I am at a crossroads with what I should go for next. I have my IC3, HP, A+, and Net + certs under my belt along with my Associates in computer network technologies. I have thought of different things to go for below but I could use some guidance and assistance in making my suggestion.

1. Go for my Bachelors.

2. Go for Security + cert

3. Go for CCNA cert

4. Go for off certs such as Server + etc.

I am torn about what to do and where to go and could use some help.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    First of all, what do you like to do the best? Go with that.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you do right now? Are there certain aspects of your job or areas of IT you like and want to learn more about?
  • Options
    Well right now I am a network admin for a small company and in case something happens I see other places looking for bachelors or some say certs or some say experience in the field. I enjoy building maintaining and fixing the stuff that breaks which is my strong point. I will say my weak point is sub netting with routers and switches, I have always struggled with it and calculating hosts etc. I would like to also strengthen my knowledge in the security sector also. I have good knowledge on it already but I could do better.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One suggestion I would consider is maybe a Bachelor's degree at WGU. You would get a better degree and certifications at the same time. It might be one option to consider. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jah8887 wrote: »
    Well right now I am a network admin for a small company and in case something happens I see other places looking for bachelors or some say certs or some say experience in the field. I enjoy building maintaining and fixing the stuff that breaks which is my strong point. I will say my weak point is sub netting with routers and switches, I have always struggled with it and calculating hosts etc. I would like to also strengthen my knowledge in the security sector also. I have good knowledge on it already but I could do better.

Well in that case I don't see how Security+ or Server+ will help you. I think going for the CCNA is the most cost-effective and quickest way to add some value to your resume in case "something" happens. Doing a Bachelors while working will take forever btw. You could do what Dakinggamer87 said and start WGU and get CCNA in the process. I don't know much about WGU, but can you start with the CCNA course? By attending WGU you can also put WGU -- Expected Grad Date x/x/x on your resume. Some might say it's a cheap way to get a University on your resume but that's up for debate.
  • Options
    Tom789Tom789 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would go with CCNA. It is a well respected certification, even if not that easy to attain, and will give you plenty of knowledge as well. You should be able to land a NOC job with it.
  • Options
    I want to thank you all for your input. I am going to take the leap into the CCNA and try to get that certification next. I appreciate all the responses and help.