Security+ about to expire. Is it worth it to renew it?

TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, My CompTIA Security+ is about to expire, but since I don't work in network security, and working on my CCNP, is it even worth it to renew the cert? I feel like employers don't care much for CompTIA certs, but Cisco certs are more worth in Network Engineering. What are your thoughts? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will beat around the bush a little unfortunately for you. I will say that when I first received my CCNA and years later the only jobs that were offered to me are/were NOC jobs paying less than $20.00 an hour. If you can live on nothing more than peanut butter and jelly and spam with a NOC job than CCNA is worth it. Yes, higher level Cisco Certs are paying a lot more than that below poverty rate.

Again I am going to beat around the bush unfortunately for you. When I first got my Security+CE certification I was offered a job as an HBSS Admin (with no HBSS ePO experience) making about $76k a year. All that job required was Security+ and a clearance at the time. I can probably find 75 posts (on this site) of people with CCNA that aren't making anywhere close to $76K. I literally can drive down 95 and see General Dynamics, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Mantech, etc etc etc etc so it's really about where you reside. Sorry I got off topic. Moral of the story, yes I feel it's worth if ........if you stay in the right cities and states. If you stay in Parkersburg, West Virginia probably just let it expire

So....If someone asked me if they should get Security+ or CCNA I would first asked them do they want to make 40K a year or 70-100+k a year. Like I said I just had CCNA (1st cert) and Security+CE (second cert) and a clearance (most important)
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Security+ is very reputable to employers even though its a foundational cert. I would keep it active until you get a higher level security cert.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I renewed my Security+ just this past year, and I have most every other CompTIA cert that has ever been offered, including many retired ones. Of all of them Security+ is probably one of those that I think "holds more water" in IT than some of the others. So, yes, renew Security+. Every arena of IT touches security at some level, so being able to show a prospective employer on your resume that you have a foundational exposure to the concepts is worthwhile.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, renew. It is helpful on the gov/contracting side..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would renew, especially if you want to go for your CCNP Security, that is a goal for me. I renewed my Security+ by taking the CASP, which was one hell of a test.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you have any other Infosec certification that is a higher level? If not, you better suck it up and renew it.
  • tx7tx7 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

My Security+, ( also Network+, A+), is also expiring this year, and I'm thinking whether to renew it or not.
    I'm currently working as a help desk.

Thanks.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hou always have the option to renew it with other certs:

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security

I believe you would have to pay a renewal fee that comes close to the cost of the exam, but you wouldn't have to study to pass the Security+ exam.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There was no renewal fee when I did it. You just load a copy of the cert and add credits like normal.
  • skynet1126skynet1126 Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Were there alot of performance based questions and command prompts on the CASP? or just a handful with the majority being multiple choice?
    Kevin in NH
    ITF, A+, NET+, SEC+, Linux+, Server+, CySa+, LPIC-1, SUSE, Mobility+
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Again I am going to beat around the bush unfortunately for you. When I first got my Security+CE certification I was offered a job as an HBSS Admin (with no HBSS ePO experience) making about $76k a year. All that job required was Security+ and a clearance at the time.

That is definitely not standard. Though I guess it all depends where you live and the demand but where I live, no chance in hell of me pulling that unless I had 4-6 years experience. Nice work achieving that!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon