Options

Home lab recommendation

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to purchase a home lab to study for my CCNA. I was wondering if this would be a good lab to start with from cert kits.

If any of you have any other recommendations I would love to here them.

Basic 2 Router & 2 Switch CCNA Lab Kit 200-120 - CertificationKits

Thanks.

*edit

Will I also have to buy the access server?

Comments

• Options
    27 views but no posts? icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That kit uses old routers/switches. I paid ~$100 for the same routers/switches 3 years ago. Figure another $10 for the patch cables and console cable. So, unless the workbooks are worth $130, you're better off using eBay.

As for what I would suggest --

If you don't plan on going past CCNA:

3 x 1841 ($90-105)
    1 x 2811 ($25-45)
    3 x Catalyst 2950 ($60-75)
    6 x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 (These will frequently come with routers on eBay, but can be bought separately for $6.50/each or less)

Total: $175 to $264

If You Plan on Doing CCNP:

3 x 1841 ($90-105) -- Add 1 more for CCNP
    1 x 2811 ($25-45)
    2 x Catalyst 3560 (Any 24/48 Port Model)($100-130)
    1 x Catalyst 2960 (LAN Base NOT Lan Lite)($52-65) or 3560 (Any 24/48 Port Model)($50-65) -- Add 1 more for CCNP
    8 x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 (FREE to $52)

Total: $267 to $397

If You Plan on Doing CCIE:

NOTE: To do physical routers for CCIE, you would need 20 x ISR G2 Routers with Data and Security Licenses. Given that would cost $8,000 or more...most CCIE candidates opt for the CSR-1000V, which is a Virtual Router that runs on VMware ESXi (and some other Hypervisors). It does not support Serial WAN, but is otherwise a very good router. You would need a dedicated ESXi compatible server, but these can be had for under $300 if you don't mind it being really loud and producing a ton of heat (Dell PowerEdge 1950). I would suggest using physical routers for at least CCNA so that you learn how to connect to the Console Port, Perform Password Recovery, etc...

You will need 4 IOS 15 switches for the Layer 2 portion and a breakout switch to connect everything together. If CCIE is your ultimate goal, then you would be benefited by buying only 3560-24TS, 3560-48TS, or 3560G switches which have 32 MB of flash and support IOS 15. This would avoid having to replace switches down the road.

WARNING: The 3560E uses a Universal image, which is IP Base. Unlike earlier switches (3560 and 3560G), to upgrade to IP Services would require a license key. You can't just drop the IP Services IOS on it like older switches. When buying any switch (3560E, 3650*, 3850) or Router (1900, 2900, 3900 Series) that runs a Universal Image ensure that it has a Permanent (Not Time Limited) IP Services License (Switch) or Data and Security Licenses (Router).

*Though the numbers look similar and you will find 3560s frequently mislabeled as 3650s (you can easily tell the difference by looking at the picture) on eBay, the 3650 is a newer switch, which runs $1,300 and up.

If You Plan on Doing Collaboration:

Substitute 2811/2821/2851 for any 1841
    Unless you also plan on doing CCIE R&S, get PoE switches (3560-24PS or 3560-48PS) instead of Non-PoE (3560-24TS or 3560-48TS)

NOTE: Early 1841 Routers were not rack mountable. Later models have screw holes to add rackmount ears. If you want to mount your routers, make sure you are getting one with the screw holes.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Awesome post! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I will be going for my CCNP but that will be down the road. If i purchase the equipment you recommend(CCNA) would it be the same workbook everywhere or are there different workbooks and if so which would you recommend?

Thanks

*Edit

If I buy these separate will I have to purchase a software license?
  • Options
    I looked at each item individually and they seem to be quite a bit more expensive (I'm in Canada). I looked for a full lab kit and came across this one.

Cisco Ccna Ccent Massive LAB KIT 5X Routers 3X Switches Selling 1 LAB ON Ebay | eBay

Any good?
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I looked at each item individually and they seem to be quite a bit more expensive (I'm in Canada). I looked for a full lab kit and came across this one.

Cisco Ccna Ccent Massive LAB KIT 5X Routers 3X Switches Selling 1 LAB ON Ebay | eBay

Any good?

If they're offering the 2821 for no extra cost then I would request it as it is more expandable (but therefore bigger - 2U rather than 1U).

I started with 1x 1841 and 2x 2811 routers, plus 1x 2960 and 2x 3560 PoE switches. If I knew then what I know now with the information I've learned from these forums I would not have bought the 1841 (as 2811's cost pretty much the same if you don't rush to buy the first you see), and I would not have bought PoE 3560 'PS' switches as they have only 16mb flash and can't be upgraded to IOS 15, whereas the 'TS' versions have 32mb flash and can, but then I'm thinking about what I *might* need if I go beyond CCNA - so far there hasn't been anything I can't do using IOS 12.x

Since starting I've added 2 more 2811 routers, one with a NM-8A/S 8-port serial card for connecting to the WIC-1T serial cards I have in all the routers (I know in the US they seem to favor WIC-1DSU over WIC-1T or WIC2-T but look around and buy what's cheapest remembering to cost in cables as well).

In the future I can see myself replacing my 1841 with a 2851 running IOS 15 AdvancedIPServices or AdvancedEnterprise so I can expand it for voice, and I'll get myself at least one 3560-24TS-S switch running IOS 15 IPServices. I guess then the PoE switches will come in useful for running the IP phones.

By buying kit off eBay instead of lab kits you can buy newer stuff (personally for the tiny difference in cost I would buy 60-series switches over 50-series, and 1800/2800-series routers over 2600-series), but you don't get the books or videos that some include. That said, that kit does look good value when I add up how much I've spent, and it does include cables and everything else like rack mounts which you often realise weren't included and so end up costing you more. Treat it as a starting point which I'm sure you'll expand as you get more into your studies and want to look at newer/different kit.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□

Will I also have to buy the access server?

You can always just set up SSH/Telnet.
  • Options

Any good?
    I don't think 2950s will cut it for CCNP labs. You want Catalyst E or X to get all the features. The cheapest switch which will last you all the way to the CCIE is the 3560e.

I think that lab is overkill for the CCNA and inadequate for CCNP.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My recommendation on equipment is to get the least amount that you can to start. Then you can just keep adding to it as needed.
    I like certification kits but you are not buying them for the value you are buying them for the convenience.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    You can always just set up SSH/Telnet.

Then, the first time you "write erase"...

An Access Server is a nice addition. While, it isn't 100% necessary, it will save a lot of headache and hassle. This is especially true since it is nearly impossible to find a USB to Serial Cable that actually works correctly. Before I bought my Digi, I had resorted to buying a 15 year old laptop off eBay just for the serial port (after 3 different USB to Serial Cables would not work correctly - different brands).

I love my Digi CM32. Much cheaper than a Cisco 2509 and it uses regular Patch Cables to connect to the Console Ports rather than bulky octopus cables. I could connect up to 32 devices to it and connect to their console ports, allowing me to configure them even when they were not yet configured to be on the network and allow Telnet/SSH connections.
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    theodoxa wrote: »

An Access Server is a nice addition. While, it isn't 100% necessary, it will save a lot of headache and hassle. This is especially true since it is nearly impossible to find a USB to Serial Cable that actually works correctly. Before I bought my Digi, I had resorted to buying a 15 year old laptop off eBay just for the serial port (after 3 different USB to Serial Cables would not work correctly - different brands).

I love my Digi CM32. Much cheaper than a Cisco 2509 and it uses regular Patch Cables to connect to the Console Ports rather than bulky octopus cables. I could connect up to 32 devices to it and connect to their console ports, allowing me to configure them even when they were not yet configured to be on the network and allow Telnet/SSH connections.

+1 and then some. Love it too!!!
  • Options
    theodoxa wrote: »

Place I worked at before had stashed a couple of old laptops for that purpose. I guess I'm lucky since I've been using the same USB->Serial cable for over 8 years now. Some network admin gave it to me when I was a systems guy and I've been using it ever since.

I didn't know about the Digi CM32, I may pick that up since it can be had for $35 on eBay.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Place I worked at before had stashed a couple of old laptops for that purpose. I guess I'm lucky since I've been using the same USB->Serial cable for over 8 years now. Some network admin gave it to me when I was a systems guy and I've been using it ever since. I didn't know about the Digi CM32, I may pick that up since it can be had for $35 on eBay.
    Businesses seem to have better luck, though even they aren't 100%. The last place I worked...the folks who did initial configuration on new devices had cables that worked like a charm. OTOH, I heard at least one Engineer complain about his cable (same problems I had with the 3 I bought).