Options

OSCP - Gearing Up

lugerluger Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody,

I'm new here and planning to take on the OSCP course in the coming months. I have been working in Infosec for the last 2 years with my main duties being managing deployment of systems projects like laptop encryption, MDM, VPN etc. I have almost no pen testing experience except that I also manage our vulnerability scanners of our internal and production servers.

I understand that to take on the OSCP course and test, one must be familiar with Linux, Nmap, Python as well as Bash scripting. I have no experience in neither of these fields and only just started self studying in these areas. I have just finished the linuxsurvival tutorial course (link below) and quite "comfortable" in using all the commands given in this tutorial. I'm currently doing the sthurlow Python course (link below) but still at the beginning. Also bought a 3 month subscription for Pentesting Academy and doing the Python for pentesting course.

My biggest concern is how "comfortable" should I be in these areas before being able to seriously take on this course? I have read lots of threads and all OSCP students say you have to be "comfortable" in these areas. I mean everybody has his own definition being "comfortable". How will I know when i'm really ready to take on this beast? icon_sad.gif

Pentesting Academy
SectionPage | Linux Survival
Lesson 1 - Installing Python

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    good thread, I am in a similar boat as you, I am going to follow your lead
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I did the OSCP with little pen-testing experience and I don't remember using any bash. It's a great course, although prepare to get frustrated.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    I did the OSCP with little pen-testing experience and I don't remember using any bash. It's a great course, although prepare to get frustrated.

So you sat for the course and not the exam?icon_confused.gif:icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    luger wrote: »

I think you are doing fine here. I want to tackle OSCP but feel I need more Python and linux skills. I did the same in wanting to gain more experience in Linux and Python, by getting a PDF version of an LPIC certification study guide (overkill here) and I registered for Pentesting Academy in order to take the Python course. I am going to use your two resources for the linux survival and the python sthurlow course. I think its fine taking a month or two in order to sharpen these skills.

If you need to sharpen up your nmap or metasploit skills you can tackle these freebies as well.
    https://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/
    https://nmap.org/book/man.html
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I, too am preparing to start OSCP. I bought a few books - Gray Hat Hacking, Basic Security Testing with Kali Linux, Penetration Testing and Offensive Python.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Ok looks good so quite a few of you guys are in the same boat as i am. I was thinking of really getting my head for 2 months in Linux and Python, especially Python as i dont really like coding but Python seems to be more fun than any other coding language. Today I bought another couple of books for Nmap and Wireshark which I think will really help me. Im lucky enough to have the company I work with pay for all my books, Pentester Academy subscription and also the OSCP course. Now its just a matter to decide when is the best timing to go for the OSCP....not an easy decision icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Did u get to do the exam in the end? How did it go?
  • Options

Did u get to do the exam in the end? How did it go?
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't have any knowledge of bash and I made it through the course and exam just fine.
    You should be VERY comfortable with using the Linux CLI as well as the Windows CLI to get any tasks done.

Edit:
    Also, there is a whole slew of posts here on TE in the security forums about various member's experiences, mine included.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe look at eLearnSecurity's Junior Penetration Tester course. Based off of what I have reviewed so far, it seems to cover everything you would need to be successful in taking the OSCP course.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks all for the advice and guidance....much appreciated. I have read all of the OSCP threads on here and all great reads. Seems like I'm abit off to be ready for the OSCP yet and doing some research on the eLearnSecurity Junior Penetration Tester....might actually even start with this one before going for the OSCP.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    So you sat for the course and not the exam?icon_confused.gif:icon_confused.gif:

I did do the exam and passed it. Hardest exam i've done in my life.
  • Options
    I did do the exam and passed it. Hardest exam i've done in my life.

Congrats on passing the OSCP.....so in reality how "comfortable" does one need to be in Linux and Python scripting?