Options

Is it okay to be a Mediocre IT worker?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    E Double U wrote: »
    When companies have layoffs it seems to be about the bottom line: money. You don't seem like a slacker at all, but that isn't necessarily the reason you were kept. Someone with less experience would demand less money (keep that bottom line in mind). Or maybe they just like you more for personal reasons. I've had a director show me a layoff list that was based on who she liked the least, not work ethic.

Congrats on not being in that 25 though.

Thanks for that vote of confidence. However, in my meeting with the higher ups they told me they admired me for the reasons I listed and because my future goals were in line with theirs. I didn't just pull that stuff out of my ass.

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    ^^ did not mean for that sto sound snarky :)

A+ certified
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting view on this.
    the mediocre employee will not be asked to work on new projects if their work is mediocre.
    thus, the mediocre can sit back and not have to work any harder.
    and then they may be sitting back complaining, pointing fingers and staying "safe"
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gotta disagree a bit.

Some people only want to do the Job that they are Tasked with;
    Nothing more, Nothing less.

They Don't want to Volunteer for new projects.
    They Don't want to help You do Your job (in adddition to theirs).
    They Don't want to stay late nor work weekends.

What they Do want is:
    Put in their 40 hours,
    Deliver on all Tasks/Expectations,
    and be On their Way.

They have other passions/priorties outside of the Workplace.
    The "job" is simply a Means to an End.

Is that person, mediocre?
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Gotta disagree a bit.

Some people only want to do the Job that they are Tasked with;
    Nothing more, Nothing less.

They Don't want to Volunteer for new projects.
    They Don't want to help You do Your job (in adddition to theirs).
    They Don't want to stay late nor work weekends.

What they Do want is:
    Put in their 40 hours,
    Deliver on all Tasks/Expectations,
    and be On their Way.

They have other passions/priorties outside of the Workplace.
    The "job" is simply a Means to an End.

Is that person, mediocre?

Yes. But if that is what they want, and they are willing to accept the "consequences" that come with that (being passed over for a promotion, raise, etc.) that's fine. But have realistic expectations about feedback, salary, etc. etc.

I have certainly had jobs where I put my 40 hours in and left. Ultimately, I didn't feel satisfied being "mediocre" and found something I was passionate about and WANTED to excel at.

A+ certified
  • Options
    hubbaraahubbaraa Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IT is one of those jobs that you get what you put into it. I've seen lots of employees just sit around and collect a paycheck and doing the bare minimum. They are usually the first to get cut, or stay in the same position for years (both of which almost amount to the same thing).

You should always have the mindset of "making things better". And a lot of that is making yourself better. Whether it's working on new projects or working on certifications, IT is a fast changing field and you should always be learning the new things.

Personally I look at my career as an investment, for every $ I've spent in learning new technologies it's netted me 10X. If there are free opportunities to learn something new at work, jump on it.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ^^ did not mean for that sto sound snarky :)

haha I didn't think so. Hopefully my post didn't come off that way.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    25 people were just laid off in my department. I was the ONLY seasonal employee who was kept on permanently and I was chosen over people with more experience and more time at the company under their belts. The guy who was hired on the same day as I was had a 2 year degree in networking and I had a shiny brand new A+ cert and zero experience and I was chosen over him. Why? Because I show up, work my ass off, constantly ask questions on how I can improve, try to soak up as much new information and experience as I can, and am ALWAYS willing to tackle a new project (even if it's one I am not pleased with...*cough* printer support *cough*) So while you CAN be mediocre at your job, does it really benefit you in the long run?
    You sound like me except instead of the A+ I have a CCNA. My department tasked me to pick up all the printer issues that arises since no one else wants to deal with them. I won out against 3 other contractors to become fulltime since I could always show up without "pulling teeth" to help with IT problems that came up during the weekends.