Options

Help w/ Custom PC

2»

Comments

• Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    First of all, thank you to everyone who chimed in during this whole ordeal where there were pluses and minuses abound.

I tried installing a Gammaxx 400 cpu fan and heat sink but it kept coming off resulting in my new CPU to overheat. What I did then was to use the stock one that came with my machine but during the switch the sata connection on my SATA HDD (which was my primary broke....ARGH) Now I need to find a way to get a handful of files from that drive that weren't uploaded to the cloud (figures)

Other than that, everything is running real smooth on this computer. I have two SSD at almost 1 GB with a new CPU > 4.0 GHz and 32 GB ram.

Will probably upgrade the case when I perform another build in 2 years. if anyone has suggestions on getting access to my data on that drive it would be great.

FYI
    Salvaged with electric tape in order to transfer data over and now ready with a semi new computer
    What an ordeal this was
    Thanks to all who helped
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    2077a
    A comedy of errors
    Got done installing a new heatsink for this new machine and as soon as I fired it up, I saw a spark come from my power supply and now the system won't turn on again. Trying my best not to panic thinking the entire system fried.
    If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know as soon as you can
    thanks
    so bummed right now
  • Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    That is odd, if you have not seen smoke or loud pop, which is an internal fuse which will blow up to protect your equipment in case of a failure it might be fine, which PSU, brand and wattage did you get?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    Dollarhyde wrote: »
    That is odd, if you have not seen smoke or loud pop, which is an internal fuse which will blow up to protect your equipment in case of a failure it might be fine, which PSU, brand and wattage did you get?

Corsair 750 modular psu
    Bought the same exact power supply from a store and it fixed the issue
    This is unbelievable considering this did not even give me 7 days of usage until it crapped out.
  • Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    That is odd, however they have a good warranty system, if something is wrong they will replace it for you. Either way, I am glad you fixed the issue.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    Dusting off this thread because I finally want to upgrade other components in my machine (mainly graphics card) and wanted some input on my system. I'm noticing the temperature on my cores are running at 30-35 C and wanted some input if that is safe.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    intel CPUs are usually fine for 80C. I'm a fan of having a decent heatsink on CPUs though, simply to keep noise levels down.

What's your budget for the GPU? What games you play? Budget? Since your CPU doesn't have VT-d, Nvidia or AMD shouldn't matter. Noise-wise, my GTX 1060 6GB EVGA ACX 3.0 is quite impressive.

If you are in an upgrade itch mood, new fans or case can be fun (aand improve quality of life with the noise levels), or getting another SSD for your VMs or to go HDD-less (use dock for backups only maybe?)
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    Dusting off this thread because I finally want to upgrade other components in my machine (mainly graphics card) and wanted some input on my system. I'm noticing the temperature on my cores are running at 30-35 C and wanted some input if that is safe.

Those temps are fine.

One thing regarding your upgrade. I went through a similiar issue that you had building a PC for a family member for a gaming rig. (Haven't build a PC in over 10 years). I spend 3 days working on it, broke a clip on the heatsink and the damn thing wouldn't power on. I ended up testing each cable from the MB to the PSU one by one to see where the error was. It turned out, the aux cables on the case that provided power on the 2 front fans did not like the PSU for some reason and the system wouldn't start. I ended up not connecting that 1 cable and the system was flying after that.

My advice, it's not worth it to build a PC these days, unless you are building a crazy insane PC. Everything you need to do can probably be done with an already build PC, just salvage hDD's from your old one and you are good. I actually just upgrade the memory on my machine to 24GB because i was having issues with the VM's just like you, runs like a charm now.
  • Options
    nster wrote: »
    intel CPUs are usually fine for 80C. I'm a fan of having a decent heatsink on CPUs though, simply to keep noise levels down.

What's your budget for the GPU? What games you play? Budget? Since your CPU doesn't have VT-d, Nvidia or AMD shouldn't matter. Noise-wise, my GTX 1060 6GB EVGA ACX 3.0 is quite impressive.

If you are in an upgrade itch mood, new fans or case can be fun (aand improve quality of life with the noise levels), or getting another SSD for your VMs or to go HDD-less (use dock for backups only maybe?)

Thanks
    I just built this rig last year with everything new, but now my graphics card (bought cheap) is no good. I was planning on playing some steam games after I finished my MBA and a few certs this year and figured why not upgrade my graphics card
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Those temps are fine.

One thing regarding your upgrade. I went through a similiar issue that you had building a PC for a family member for a gaming rig. (Haven't build a PC in over 10 years). I spend 3 days working on it, broke a clip on the heatsink and the damn thing wouldn't power on. I ended up testing each cable from the MB to the PSU one by one to see where the error was. It turned out, the aux cables on the case that provided power on the 2 front fans did not like the PSU for some reason and the system wouldn't start. I ended up not connecting that 1 cable and the system was flying after that.

My advice, it's not worth it to build a PC these days, unless you are building a crazy insane PC. Everything you need to do can probably be done with an already build PC, just salvage hDD's from your old one and you are good. I actually just upgrade the memory on my machine to 24GB because i was having issues with the VM's just like you, runs like a charm now.

TheFORCE
    I usually just build my own machines because I like to know whats new in the world of personal PC hardware. I just built this machine last year and it runs great, I was just wanting some input because I am new to PC gaming and did not want to blow out anything if I upgraded my graphics card. I currently have a pretty diesel machine and figured that I would just upgrade the card and keep it like this for 3 years before I have to upgrade again.

Any recommendations on a card form anyone?