Options

Trying to focus on Network side....

ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am looking to move to the network side of life, in the near future. I probably have the same problem many of you have.
I live in an area that doesn't have hardly any network type positions come open. (rarely at best) Eventually I would like to be
a Network Engineer, and in order to do that, there needs to be experience. My current position does not allow me much experience with that side. We have a team out of another state who takes care of it. I would just switch equipment, make sure the AC is good, keep track of equipment, etc.

I also only know of one or maybe two NOC's in my area. Is there some secret list of NOC's in Kansas? lol

I know most will say move to where the jobs are. And I intend on moving, eventually. My wife told me we can't move until my daughter graduates from high school. (which is in 4 years) So since I can't move to the job mecca's, it gives me plenty of time to gain experience and certs. (I have been looking at moving to the Dallas area) If you search in Indeed for Network Engineer in my city and in the Dallas area, the results are exactly what I am talking about. (Wichita = a mix of systems and network 8 jobs and Dallas =1500)

I can lab, lab some more, but at some point I need to be actually using what I am learning.

Any ideas for me in my area of the world?

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Come on down to Tulsa, the job market is great great!
  • Options
    That is an option, later. I like the Tulsa area too. Would probably be an easier sell to my wife, if the area has a bunch of jobs. (keeps us close to family)

I am just having the hardest time finding the NOC's in my area. I know Speedy Cash has one. Phacil I think, but they want people to have secret or above clearance. (I only have public trust)

What would be some terms I could do searches on, besides the obvious NOC or Network Operation Center?

But to your point jamthat, I would like to work somewhere around Wichita, then move down to Tulsa. I might be able to get my wife to budge on the time line. Even if she did and I could start looking now, I would next to no experience, looking to get into network side, in a new town, having to move a family. That's a lot of if's and but's. lol
  • Options
    She said absolutely no moving until my daughter has graduated. So I need to find a network gig around my city, in the next year.

I did a search for MSP's and NOC's, and came up with nada. So any input would be awesome. :P
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network Jobs, Employment in Wichita, KS | Indeed.com

Cisco Jobs, Employment in Wichita, KS | Indeed.com

Network Information Technology Jobs in Wichita, KS on CareerBuilder.com

Some overlap in the positions listed.

Also, try searching for potential employers, not just the job boards. Some places will only list jobs on their own site and have their own recruiters.

https://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/performBasicSearch.do
  • Options
    The link thru Cisco tools, wow. That showed me places I have never heard of. Thanks a bunch Mow!
  • Options
    No prob! Keep in mind many of those places are national offices, so your local office may be a closet with a sales guy sitting in it.
  • Options
    Yea I was just wondering that. I think a few of them are more than that. If there is no career link or applicant link, do I just send a resume to the email provided? I'm not going to do that now, since I only have my ccent. (the other part in a month) Plus I am not sure I would do to wonderful on a technical interview beyond the basics.
  • Options
    There should be a link to their websites, you can usually find some sort of contact through there. Or you can try to search for their corp recruiters on LinkedIn and connect with them, start a conversation, etc. Also, and I should have mentioned this before, if you're up for travel, CDW has a sort of apprenticeship program. They will hire you on and train you to be a network engineer. But I think it's a lot of travel. Search for their Associate Consulting Engineer program. Contact one of their recruiters, also, if you want more info.

Good luck!
  • Options