Options

Renewing entry-level certs

Alright, this will be a little wordy, so bear with me.

I'm getting near cert expiration on some of my certs, but I'm not quite sure how to handle that. For example, I have my VCP5-DCV, CCNA Security, and C|EH coming up for renewal shortly. EC-Council has also recently decided they're just not making enough money so they've tacked on an $80/yr "maintenance fee". I guess the $500 per exam, plus the training materials you can only get from them (or their partner) just isn't enough to cover the costs of their shitty certs. But I digress.

I'm a currently a security engineer, I'm working on my Master's degree and part of that is getting my C|HFI. My goal in the next 5 years is to eventually move into an Architect position somewhere in the PNW. Once I've completed my degree I plan on pursuing my OSCP, and maybe my CISSP. The latter only because it seems to be required by everyone to be a security architect.

Here's my question: of the certs I've mentioned, which should I focus on renewing? Or should I even bother? I realize that when I get my C|HFI it'll automatically renew my C|EH, but I'd have to retake the CCNA Security (or another exam) and my VCP if I wanted to keep those current. I also don't fancy paying EC-Council an additional $240 for three years to be allowed to say I'm certified.

It's not like I'm letting my skills stagnate, far from it. I just don't know whether or not I really need to update my entry-level certs to stay relevant in my field.

What are your thoughts?
WGU - MSISA - Done!!
Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you see yourself using those certificates in the future? Can you think that an employer could evaluate you on having them?
    If so, renew them. As stupid as it is. Experience is king but the certificates will get you in the door and it is easier than having to do the multiple exams over to receive the certification again.

The money is quite a bit understandably, see if your employer will help pay/reimburse. Use that new paycheck you're aiming for to pay for them.

See if a higher certification renews the old one. Go for the higher one. It can help.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depends on why you have the cert. If it's job related, then I can tell you in this instance that most people ask if you're, for example, a C|EH. What they mean by that question is - did you study for, pass the test, and become accredited by EC-Council. Nobody asks to see if you paid your renewal invoice 3 months ago, they just want to know that you know the subject matter and passed the test.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    Do you see yourself using those certificates in the future? Can you think that an employer could evaluate you on having them?

That's the thing, the C|EH will look good to some employers, but I would think that an OSCP and CISSP will trump that. The VCP and CCNA Security is a maybe. The higher level for the VCP is the VCAP and I can't honestly see that being at all useful in a security career. The higher level for the CCNA Sec is a CCNP Sec which is, like, four more exams. I'm not sure that would help me in my path.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Nobody asks to see if you paid your renewal invoice 3 months ago, they just want to know that you know the subject matter and passed the test.

This is a good point. I know the guys on my team all have a few GIAC certs, but they're all long expired. They still use them in their email sigs, though. icon_lol.gif
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!