Options

Your views

Rave18Rave18 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Came across the following thread: Hate my degree, going back to school for IT. Advice? | SoSuave Discussion Forum

What would be your advice ?

Comments

• Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd start by telling him to not listen to poonani maker lmao.

Realistically I'd say he's on the right track and his approach is really well thought out.

As far as the whole "starting late" thing goes... There's always going to be that feeling. "What if I paid more attention in high school, what if I started earlier, what if I hadn't switched my major so much", etc. It doesnt get better by not doing anything. All that really matters is that you're working to better yourself. Who cares what other people are doing with their life and how fast or slow they're doing it in comparison to yours. Focus on your own goals and dreams and put forth hard work to achieve them.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    jaycrewzjaycrewz Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rave, the system admin for my company did a WGU program. He actually started at a local public university, but then switched majors and transfered into WGU.

He finished the program with a Bachelors, his A+, N+, S+, and MCITP certs...as well as a couple of Cisco certs. He started at helpdesk, was promoted to my position after a few months (desktop), and then finally promoted into his current system admin position all in a little less than 18 months with the company.

If you dont already have a degree, I definitely think the WGU program is a good investment if you have the time for it. But I also think starting out with a couple certs on your own is a good path as well. If youre already working full time, and don't have time for a degree, and have no IT experience, study on your own during your free time, and try and get a couple certs.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The reality is if you don't like doors being shut in your face, you need the appropriate degree(s). Doesn't matter as much if the subject matter is spot-on to the job, but the degree itself shows commitment, execution, success of a goal. The "sorry no degree" gets old really fast trying to get your foot in the door. I took that as a major motivator to get my degrees done.

I can't stress enough the level of satisfaction I have when requirements come up and I already have all of the educational requirements met. (ok, I have seen a few with PhD as a minimum, but that is an extremely narrow niche area in research) There's no way I'd ever get to where I'm at now without the degrees earned. If you want to make it far, you will have to consider getting them or the journey will be very challenging and frustrating.

Find a subject you enjoy studying and it really does become fun.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    RoyalRaven wrote: »
    The reality is if you don't like doors being shut in your face, you need the appropriate degree(s). Doesn't matter as much if the subject matter is spot-on to the job, but the degree itself shows commitment, execution, success of a goal. The "sorry no degree" gets old really fast trying to get your foot in the door. I took that as a major motivator to get my degrees done.

I can't stress enough the level of satisfaction I have when requirements come up and I already have all of the educational requirements met. (ok, I have seen a few with PhD as a minimum, but that is an extremely narrow niche area in research) There's no way I'd ever get to where I'm at now without the degrees earned. If you want to make it far, you will have to consider getting them or the journey will be very challenging and frustrating.

Find a subject you enjoy studying and it really does become fun.

I have heard "Sorry no degree" many times. I couldn't take it anymore and enrolled last year into WGU. 5 classes left and I will never hear that sentence again.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A degree absolutely opens doors. Do you have to have one? No. Does it help? definitely.

As to the rants about only getting a job if you know someone, that is the battle cry of the sore loser. Yes, knowing the right people can help in ANY job, whether it's a union electrician job, a politician or a network administrator. Is it required to know the right people to find an IT job? Not at all. You just might have to work a little harder, apply a few more times, etc.