Options

Need Some Advice Please..

Ls1raiderLs1raider Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I'd like to first thank the whole techexam community for the wealth of information on this site. I wouldn't be where I am without all the knowledge on this forum.

Now to my dilemma. I'm currently working at the help desk at my company. I've been here about a year and a half and I feel ready to move on. Our network group recently(about two months ago) borrowed me from the help desk Tues-Friday for some projects they had lined up. I have my CCNA and I am working on more network certifications. I've loved the time working with them and the experience has been invaluable. They've mentioned to me that it's a possibility that they'll bring me over to the network team permanently, but have never guaranteed me or made me feel like it was a for sure thing.

I was just informed by a colleague that he will be vacating his position on our companies imaging team. They basically prep all systems with our companies image before being sent out. He mentioned to me there was a high possibility i would get the position if I applied.

My question to you is, should I apply for that position and basically leave the possibility of getting hired by the network team or should I stick around with the network team and risk them not opening up a full time position and end up back at the help desk. This has happened over the weekend and haven't spoken to any management yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
AAS Computer Networking and Service Technology

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    What do you WANT to do. Do you want to do sys prep? Because I have a feeling you go there the you won't transition to the network position. Because then the company has two spots to fill.

You want to do sys work go with sys prep.

You want to do networking wait it out.
  • Options
    Ls1raiderLs1raider Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response Kohr-ah. I'm just afraid to pass up an opportunity for one that might not be there. But I definitely want to go the network route.
    AAS Computer Networking and Service Technology
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is important to have a plan and stick to it. If you want to do networking and are willing to take it on faith you might get a job then you should do that. I think it is important to also let them know you will be passing on the imaging job (or at least that you will not apply because you want to keep the door open for the possible other opportunity, even if it isn't a sure thing). Showing you are willing to pass, might prove you aren't just interested in making more money, even if a networking position isn't a sure thing.

I had always wanted to be a "Sys/Net Admin" and every choice I made reflected that reality. When a position opened up for desktop support, I passed on it, even though it was more money than what I was making at the time. I think my passing played a small part in me eventually getting to where I am now.

Good Luck,
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”