Options

Need Advice - Scripting and Programming - Applications - C169

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
I'm taking this course now. I'm having a hard time with the book and uDacity training provided by WGU. They way Cay Horstmann explains the language just doesn't stick with me for some reason. Have you guys used any other training for this class? I started using the "Java Tutorial for Complete Beginners" on Udemy.com and it's really helping. The language is explained in a much more logical way. I'm just wondering if I can get away with not using the training provided by WGU? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Horstmann's Udemy class was terrible for me. I didn't make it past the second video before my brain started to hemorrhage. I finished the performance assessment by simply reading the textbook and googling things I didn't understand. Oh, and your mentor is your best friend with this class, seriously. She helped me so, so much writing the program.

Now, the objective assessment has been a nightmare for me. Already failed twice and giving it a 3rd shot later this week. I WILL pass this time (I hope!). Tips I can give you on the objective assessment is to WRITE DOWN every bullet point in the course objectives and ENSURE you understand all of it. Every.last.bit. You can and will be tested on the majority of those concepts. Take your pre assessment! I wouldn't take the actual exam until I could make a 77 or better. The BEST place to review after you have finished the text and done all the Horstmann practice questions is chortle.edu and go to the Java section. The guy who created this content is amazing. I have seen many answers to questions on the exam in there and it has really helped reinforce the concepts.

Last tip, Introduction to Java holds the MOST weight of a single section and I advise you really, REALLY understand the difference between the JDK, JRE, and JVM. Be able to identify each part of the program (instance variable, method, constructor, etc).

Good luck, I have been struggling with this class for way too long and I am getting blackout wasted the day I finally pass the assessment. drunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gif
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    gburg999gburg999 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat. Stem rolled everything up till now. All I have left is C169, My tech writing (Proposal for Capstone) and Capstone project then I graduate. However, failed the assessment twice. However, I used the long list of videos from youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKTxG9DdQA

and these have all the more easier to understand. I am taking the assessment (3rd attempt) tomorrow. Wish me luck !
  • Options
    jak096jak096 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Scored 57 on the objective today. Course Mentor is off until Monday. Haven't heard anything from the other mentors yet. Going to start with chortle.edu and pay close attention to the objectives of the course. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Worried about time.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    HELL YES you can use other resources, and you should. Especially because of the train wreck that is the uDacity course.
  • Options
    jak096jak096 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good choice of words. The biggest train wreck I've encountered.