Options

Want to quit on the spot...

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
Quick history: I worked as an IT Tech for 5 years, went to university to study digital forensics for 3 years (very technical, finished with a first class degree). I got a job as a security analyst after graduating - it was somewhat technical, but I worked shifts 7am-7pm on days, then 7pm-7am nights. After 10 months, I was done. I weighed 2 stone more than when I started and was done for.

I got another job (9-5:30pm) as a security analyst (again, my mistake). I've now been there 11/12 months and i've hit the point where i've gone stir crazy. I got offered a forensics position with the police last month but had to turn it down because they offered £21k (i'm on £40k right now) and to drop 19k was a bit too unrealistic - especially seeing as the job was 90 miles away. On top of this, my manager was arranging to send me on SANS, but seeing as the police forensics role got in touch with my manager for a reference - he has responded by putting everyone else in the team on SANS - apart from me, because he knows I want to leave. Talk about a kick in the gut.

For the last 12 months, i've literally had NOTHING to do. Nothing as in: nothing. The most I get to do is right click and run a report (xls) and open the spreadsheet. That's it. I'm contemplating just quitting on the spot. My family will be extremely angry with me (I still live at home). But I don't think I can take much longer of this. Colleagues are lazy (on youtube all day, loving the fact they do nothing). If I was more emotional, i'd probably shed a tear at how bad this job is.

I know quitting on the spot is bad and will make it harder to get another job, but what do I do? Spam CV's? I have reached breaking point with this current role.

Comments

• Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Not to sure if this is the case but isn't this technically work place bullying? I mean your manager knows you want to leave so is basically forcing your hand now giving you nothing but rubbish to do.

I would go to his manager and have a chat about how you feel singled out and its causing you stress etc.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would study up and look for another position. That's a rough spot to be in.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been there, don't do it. You'll find it harder to get a job without a current one. You'll never know what their HR department will say if anyone calls looking for employment verification. Just don't. Hang in there. Something will pop up.icon_thumright.gif
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dont quit on the spot.. thats a bad thing to do. I would send my CV out or register on jobsites. what part of the UK are you located?
  • Options
    Dont quit on the spot.. thats a bad thing to do. I would send my CV out or register on jobsites. what part of the UK are you located?

In the north west. I'm finding that there aren't many IT jobs based here.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    In the north west. I'm finding that there aren't many IT jobs based here.

There are loads of jobs here in London. Considered relocating?
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree. If they're not giving you anything to do, use that time to study and look for a better job. Essentially, they're paying you to look for a new job. That happened to me with a contract I was working 12 years ago. I kept asking for something to do, and they said work was coming. Meanwhile, I was getting paid to do nothing. Use this time to your advantage.
  • Options
    There are loads of jobs here in London. Considered relocating?

I wish to remain in the north west if possible.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tedjames wrote: »
    If they're not giving you anything to do, use that time to study and look for a better job. Essentially, they're paying you to look for a new job. That happened to me with a contract I was working 12 years ago. I kept asking for something to do, and they said work was coming. Meanwhile, I was getting paid to do nothing. Use this time to your advantage.

Exactly!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is not the smartest thing in the world to ask for a reference from a current employer.
    In the future do not give your future employer any information.
    Quitting on the spot will not help you. They do not want to give you any work since you are already thinking of leaving. Thay are making it easy for you to leave.
    Staying there while you find a job and being a better worker may (or studying) be your best course of action.
  • Options
    bigdogz wrote: »
    It is not the smartest thing in the world to ask for a reference from a current employer.
    In the future do not give your future employer any information.
    Quitting on the spot will not help you. They do not want to give you any work since you are already thinking of leaving. Thay are making it easy for you to leave.
    Staying there while you find a job and being a better worker may (or studying) be your best course of action.

Just to clarify - I ticked the box that said "don't contact my current employer" and they contacted my employer without me knowing. It was only when my boss said he'd received an email from them that I knew what had happened.

I'll just study whilst i'm here. The work is soul-destroying. People here just want the pay-cheque, not to learn and embrace technology.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I ticked the box that said "don't contact my current employer" and they contacted my employer without me knowing.

I wouldn't even provide my current employer's contact info.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am curious, did you put phone/email/names for current employer or did they blindly reach out to them?
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I am curious, did you put phone/email/names for current employer or did they blindly reach out to them?

I put an email address and ticked a box saying "dont contact employer without my consent"
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This sounds like a pretty $hitty situation man... I would be pretty pissed especially about the SANS training. Sounds like you know what you need to do, and it's just hard finding a job in your area atm.

This story definitely makes sure I'm going to find out the salary of a job right away though. (I usually would wait so I don't seem pushy to anyone)
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just don't understand why the potential prospect would call your current manager for a reference. Isn't that a conflict of interest while you're employed and have not yet advised the manager?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    That stinks that they contacted your employer. I know it is hard, but don't quit on the spot. Find another job first.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why would you do that.
    No offense, but that is stupid.
    If they are not giving you work, fine... fire up few VM learn something new, start looking around, when you feel comfy start appllying... then when you find the right position move on.
    Only my 2 cents
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Look at the situation from an outsiders point of view:
    - You have a decent salary and job title relevant to the arena where you want to work.
    - You have loads of spare time to develop your skill set and get all the experience / certs you could reasonable hope to get
    - You have a position of comfort to apply for jobs from and can pick and chose from the offers.
    - If you have nothing to do then email your manager, copy in their manager asking for more work and responsibility. Repeat monthly and you have a track record to show to the HR dept if you ever need to raise a discrimination case.

I think plenty of people would love to be in this position of being able to plan and develop free from the constraints of the job with plenty of income and the safety net you have for applying for other jobs.

Saying it is driving you crazy shows you need to focus on what is important here. Your situation has become broken through a mix of bad luck and inexperience with recruiters. Can you change this? No, so deal with it and refocus.

The market is hot at the moment so get busy applying for roles while developing yourself (remember no job searches/applications from the workplace or they could use this to dismiss you) and wear a great big grin that your stupid boss in paying you to do this.

In terms of thinking your situation stinks - sorry but you are so wrong, it is an awesome opportunity that you are squandering by letting the negativity win out. Take charge of it and you will be much happier for it.

When life throws you lemons, make lemon sorbet. Or freeze them and throw then though life's windows while wearing gloves to avoid fingerprints ;)

You are a lucky man sir.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its called studying for the next job. waste no time feeling bad about the situation and getting angrier by the day. take everyday and prepare for your next job. use youtube to learn, cbts, books and etc. also if your not getting the hits on the resume change it. refreshing the resume can generate new hits and get you the job you want.

don't let your feelings keep you in a bad place, use them to empower you to what you desire
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    as they say:
    make lemonade out of the lemons...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I could never advise anyone to quit their job without something else lined up. It definitely stinks that they are treating you that way, so I would be on my way out too. While they are youtubing, you can be studying. Hopefully you can find something soon.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know quitting on the spot is bad and will make it harder to get another job, but what do I do? Spam CV's? I have reached breaking point with this current role.

You said you were still living at home and earning 40k a year. That's above average wages for England, there's no reason why you couldn't relocate for a better position, if no opportunities are available in your area.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    routergodsroutergods Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let's say you do quit... what would your answer be to any future interviews when they ask,

"You've quit before, how do we know you won't quit on us?"
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with what everyone else said.

For a bit of perspective it could be worse. You could be crawling across framing studs in a crawl space above the ceiling on your hands and knees attempting to run a cable while simultaneously trying to avoid falling through the ceiling and trying to avoid getting shocked by electrical junction boxes that don't have plates on them, while your knees and shins are in serious pain(no knee pads.) My knees and shins are still tender and sore from doing it last week.

Now granted that was the first time(hopefully last), I've ever had to do that. However, I would take clicking on excel spreadsheet all day long for however long in order to avoid doing that again.

I realize that task is monotonous and boring, but if you're in an environment where you can get paid to study then take advantage of it.
  • Options
    someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you still doing your Masters? could you not study that during the day?

I agree with others don't leave until you find something, especially since the salary is pretty good.

I cant believe the police contacted your employer, that was really out of order.