Options

Security+ Is it worh it??

RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am considering taking Security+ and am not sure about its validity and worth on the market.

I bit of a background for me:

I work as a System Admin, with 7 years experience, primarily Microsoft guy with a lot of experience with Microsoft technologies and visualization.
At the moment I am doing vSphere6 official training and will be getting VCP-DVC in the next few months.
Security wise: I have really solid foundation, I take care about the security at my company, perform security trainings for 150+ employees, wrote and implemented security policies for the company, ACL/Firewalls, web filtering, AV, auditing etc.
I have CEHv7 but other than than no real security exam.

I don't think I will have any problem passing Security +... I was thinking that it will be nice to have some kind of cert as a validation of your knowledge, but am not sure whether is worth it taking Security +.
I do not follow Comptia Certifications, but I remeber 7-8 years back Security + was not that of a big deal, so wanted to know what are your thoughts on it now as problably you will have more insight.

T be fair, long tear goal is to take CISSP, but that is kinda something I will look into after 2-3 years as I cannot afford the time to learn it properly.

So, should I spend 300$ on Security plus or I wait 2 more years and go to CISSP.

Also, I do not really see myself as security analist, not that I will not like it, but since I have all those system admin certs already and am experienced system admin I thing I'll rather continue as sr. system admin/team lead or IT manager then going to security analist.

I will be happy to hear your thoughts

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely sounds like CISSP would fit you alot more based on your experience. Unless your planning on looking for a new job within the next month or just want to pad your resume, I would just use the time and study for the CISSP. I would think the Sec+ would be a waste of money for you at this point imo.

Signed
    -Lowly Security Analyst