Options

IT Audit Manager at Big4

Big-JJBig-JJ Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have a chance to work at one of the accounting firms as IT audit manager. Havne't worked there before, so just wan to know if it would be a good choice for me.

1) What is like working there? (heard that you need to work 90 hours a week sometimes)
2) How often do managers travel?
3) What are my exit options?
4) Has having work experience at big 4 helped your career?

Thanks for sharing your insight.
MBA, CIA, CRMA, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CISSP, PMP

Comments

• Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello.

I do not have an answer to your questions, but I see that you are a CISA and a CIA.

I am planning to go for CIA training this year, hoping that passing the CIA will give me a better chance in getting an entry level IT Audit job (Hopefully in one of the Big 4!)

So, what is your education / work history?
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i also have not done that, but.. I bet that's some good money
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Big-JJ wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a chance to work at one of the accounting firms as IT audit manager. Havne't worked there before, so just wan to know if it would be a good choice for me.

1) What is like working there? (heard that you need to work 90 hours a week sometimes)

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Which firm??

It's entirely possible that you can work brutal hours, but it really depends on a lot. The quality of the people reporting to you, your clients, YOUR management (senior, partner, etc..), maturity of the practice, etc. I wasn't at that level, but I saw managers who did nothing, and managers who did everything..so I guess that doesn't help at all :).

Also depends. Are you in a major city where most of your clients will be local - for example if you were in the US, living in Washington DC or Northern Virginia, and doing Federal Govt audits, you probably wouldn't travel much or at all. If you were in another industry such as healthcare you might have to travel to hospitals all over the country very frequently.

Big 4 employees regular shuffle around firms (in the US at least)

Yes. Always good to have one of those names on your resume. Also, see above (#3)..once you're in, it's much easier to move around to other firms.