Options

Please help Regarding Security+ exam

ephoria4uephoria4u Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a Business Analyst that has been working as a BA for security and identity access & management for the past 5 years. I love what I do but I would like to get into SOC (security operations center). My team interacts with SOC but we don't actually sit in SOC even though we have access to SIEM system they use. Someone I knew from Soc suggested that I start off as a security admin and work my way up to a security analyst. He suggested I take the security+ exam as a starter. Is there any advice that you guys can give me?

Also regarding the exam, I have been studying by watching CBT nuggets, Professor Messer's **** sheet and Gibson's book. I was all confident knowing it's a 90 minute, 90 question multiple choice exam. Unfortunately I found out there are 10 performance based questions??? So the mix and match I get. Fill in the blank I also get. I also get updating settings in routers. What I am confused about is if I am asked to perform some actions in the command prompt? Do I also need to study basic commands now? What else might they ask me to do? I have no idea. Are there any materials or videos that I can refer to, so I know what might be asked? Please help!

Comments

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took the Security+ exam in August 2014. I did have to take some performance-based questions.
    You can find some performance-based simulations on YouTube and on Darril Gibson's paid site: Get Certified Get Ahead | Helping people Get Certified so that they can Get Ahead. Darril's site also has hundreds of standard practice questions. They really helped me prepare for and pass the test.

From what I recall, it was mostly just fill in the blank and drag-and-drop.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Pay for Darril's site. Well worth it, and it goes over the simulations.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As long you as understand all the topics Gibson's book I think you should be able to pass this exam.
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the Security+ exam a few months ago. I have to agree with other posts, you cannot put a price tag on Darril Gibson's practice questions...they were...*extremely* relevant to the exam.

Best of Luck,

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    CassLCassL Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril Gibson's book is how I got my Security+. His information is extremely helpful!
    To brush up, the last week or 2 before my test, I went through Professor Messer's videos, but by then I was already ready for the test.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ephoria4u wrote:
    What else might they ask me to do? I have no idea. Are there any materials or videos that I can refer to, so I know what might be asked? Please help!

All the information you need to know about is contained within the Objectives. You may download a copy of the objectives directly from CompTIA and this will provide you the current content.

Please do not ask our members to divulge their exam information as it violates the NDA they signed and goes against the rules of this board.

Sybex has a terrific text to prepare from. However, the amount and type of prep you need will depend upon the amount of experience you have working with the topics being tested.
    Best wishes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Best response! Thanks Travis!
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    not to hijack but my employer has offered me skillsoft. i have gibsons book and watching messers videos. i also paid $10 for messers notes. is skillsoft worth it?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    If it's free. Sure. I am using that to study for 70-461.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To ephoria4u: Use Gibson's site and his book. This may be the best path.

To dhay13: I had used Skillsoft about 6 years ago and found that the material was not that specific. It may be good as a secondary resource.

Good Luck to all!!!!
  • Options
    I would like to thank everyone for their replies. My intent was not to provoke anybody to break NDA. I will try Gibson's iphone app practice questions. I heard they are just as helpful as the site. Also I will most likely buy the two exam take voucher (deluxe). That is $380. Anyone know where I can buy it for cheaper? I am in a very tight situation right now.