Options

Graduated 5 years ago with AAS in Network Administration...

blahblah79blahblah79 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
But never started IT. I gave up looking because at the time, starting out the pay was garbage. Comparable to what you would expect making flipping burgers. A few people I've talked to lately say that's change and within a short period of time with a CCNA you can expect about $60K a year. Has it really changed or are they dreaming? For what I currently am looking into doing I am expecting around that anyway in my non-IT career, hopefully! But was curious.

Here's my original post from several years back, don't bash!

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/71953-gave-up-but-good-luck-everyone.html

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Salaries may start low in IT, but they can rise extremely quickly compared to other fields. You could be making six figures by now if you played your cards right. $60k within a few years is definitely realistic.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Define short period of time. A couple of months? A couple of years?

Like networker said, it starts low but rises quickly. When I was looking for my first job, I had an Associates and a CCNA. I couldn't find a job for months. I applied everywhere no matter what the salary was. I even offered to work at places for free just to gain experience. I blew through my savings and racked up quite a bit of credit card debt during this time. I did land a job eventually for 37k and made it to the 60s after 2 years.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup every kid down the street can do the entry level stuff so there is a lot of competition but as you progress, the herd thins out a little. Also, don't kid yourself, there are plenty of people still making **** money after 2-3 years in IT because they don't have options or because they lack ambition.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a 2 year degree in computer science.
    thought I had it made, but multiple times was told I needed 4 year degree.
    the older people with 2 year degrees seemed to have no issues getting job.

so, I started on 4 year degree. I got some part time jobs while finishing my degree. After graduating I still was not getting the big job. So, I kept looking for anything that would get me experience. I had 3 part time jobs related to user support, lab tech at university, research assistant and adult education computer teacher. I even had a job to teach Saturday classes at local community college. 4 part time jobs. I kept applying and was working so many hours it was getting hard to schedule interviews when they starting coming in. I took each interview as a learning experience. I always went in wanting the job. I met bosses I would have liked working for and some were not very nice people. I finally went to a job fair and resume and me got attention. Got interview at top office, had very good interview. Then CIO gave me reference for a lower manager to interview me the 2nd time. I was hired as a computer programmer with emphasis also on desktop support!!! Also dbld the amount of money I was making. So my standard was to finish out all my part time jobs which required two week notice and working 2 jobs til the classes I was teaching ended and I handed out grades. A tough month!!!

later I found out a 4 year degree not enough as there heavy interest in hiring CNEs. Since network administrator was my goal, I got cne and very soon after moved into a network admin job!!!!

i continue doing my own professional growth courses and certifications as in the past they really paid off and I have seen my salary increase 75% as I continued working in IT and now starting move into mgmt.

you have to want it, keep working it and never give up. Cause what are you going to do when a critical server goes down on Friday night?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My first IT job was for $25K/year, which was the same as I had made in my previous job as a full-time shift manager at a fast food restaurant (including overtime). That was w/o college or certifications. I had some small increases over the next few years until I completed my first MCSE and began college. After that, with a few years experience, good certifications, and continuing my education, everything started to pick up speed. You have to put in the time and be serious about it along the way.

To be honest, if that is a story I heard during an interview, it would turn me off to you as a candidate. You didn't want it badly enough to at least get your foot in the door with a lower paying job? If you want to get a job now, you are going to need a better story than that.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just as money doesn't grow on trees, experience doesn't grow either. Some people have high expectations with little experience while the rest build their expectations little by little and keep grinding the game of life. Never to late to get in the game though, but just as people said, you have to want to make it and just make money.
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Time definitely has changed. I graduated last summer with an AAS and I started my first IT job (desktop support) at 45K/year.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You have to start somewhere. Experience helps with the salary.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mstd0nmstd0n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like the others have mentioned I definitely think it is a combination of education, experience, and communication.

I started working IT as a support technician about 4 years ago at $30k along with 2 other guys. The position only required an A+ certification, but I noticed most of the other technicians on the team had their Security+. I tried to get the 2 other guys to start a study group but they weren't interested since it wasn't required. One of the veteran team members started mentoring me since he saw I had ambition to advance my knowledge and career. When he was promoted I took over as Printer Administrator for +500 printers in the org and now was over the 2 guys who started the same time I did. I finished my security+ and 2 months later my original mentor told one of his colleagues about me and they offered me a jr sys admin position for $40k. I worked hard there got another couple certs and was given the opportunity to lead a few projects and 3 years from when I started I was offered a promotion to Software Test Engineer at $55k.

I finish my BS this may, and just last week I was approached by the senior leadership for a developmental position with our cybersecurity division where I will start out at $68k and get about a 10k raise ever year for the next 3 years.

All of my success came from 1. being humble in my new work environments and trying to learn as much as I could form the veterans. 2. Showing a desire to progress my knowledge. 3. Effectively communicating with my coworkers and managers. I honestly haven't applied for a new position since my initial job 4 years ago, every subsequent one has happened because a manager or coworker suggested me for promotion.

and of the 2 guys I started with, 1 is still sitting in the same cube doing the same thing from when we started, and the other quit IT to go back managing a retail store.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    But never started IT. I gave up looking because at the time, starting out the pay was garbage. Comparable to what you would expect making flipping burgers.

I went and checked your original post, you did have something better paying at the time. Nothing is guaranteed in life is how I see it. Expectations and what potential employers think you are worth don't usually align when you have no experience.

It's tough when you are a career changer though. I see back when you made your original post you were making 18 an hour, if you had not given up you probably would have blown past that amount by now.

I think the problem is you thought you were entitled to a certain amount due to education and certs and now that you heard rumors of a better job market you are tempted to stick your toes back in. Big problem might be is that your education and certs are older now.

Something else I noticed, you posted that you gave up on IT barely six months after graduating?? I was working retail for a few years while going to night classes 3/4 time. IT was my hobby and I got my first job opportunity because of somebody who sat next to me in one of my classes referred me once he got hired into his first IT job.

Not bashing here but you need to ask yourself, do you even like IT or are you chasing a big paycheck? I got into IT by accident, building computers because I played too many video games. During the .com bubble the pay was big and opportunities fast and I saw too many paycheck chasers burn out from the fluid requirements of IT. The fluid requirements are that you can learn and move in your career, be able to adapt and evolve as the field requires or you want to change jobs.