Options

Should I be applying for entry level or high level jobs?

metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
If you've seen my previous threads you'll know I'm currently unemployed, looking to boost my marketability with certs. I have over 10 years experience supporting a Windows domain/production line environment. My current certs are very old, A+ and MCP from 2002. The job I was doing was very technical, but much of the knowledge I learned 15 years ago went unused. I have what you could call IT wisdom/intuition as much as anything else, if that makes any sense.

Going into my job hunt, I will have at least these certs:

A+ (obtained 2002)
MCP (obtained 2002)
ITIL Foundation (taking the exam tonight)
Security+, VMWare, OR CCNA (I don't have any of these yet, still choosing which route to go)

I want new Microsoft certs too, but not sure if I'll have those before I start applying for jobs. I want to be well rounded, hence the broad spectrum of certs. I'd have to say I'm currently best at Windows Administration. My questions are, going into an interview, with the 4 certs listed above, how valuable or competitive will I come across, considering my prior experience? Also, should I expect to only be considered for entry level? How much salary would be realistic to expect?

I'm aware I should just apply for anything that interests me, but I'm seeking opinions and what to expect realistically.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd apply at entry-level jobs to be employed and get current IT experience, however...If you applied to a higher level Sysadmin job, do you think you have the skills to do it? If so, then yes absolutely apply at those jobs too. The worst they can say is no.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    I'd apply at entry-level jobs to be employed and get current IT experience, however...If you applied to a higher level Sysadmin job, do you think you have the skills to do it? If so, then yes absolutely apply at those jobs too. The worst they can say is no.

Thanks. My experience is rather current, up to Oct. of last year. I am taking Windows courses just to brush up though.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Experience will win in the end (in my opinion)
    Apply for jobs you know you can do and have the skills to back up.
    Then while applying for those work towards the certs that compliment that experience.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Experience will win in the end (in my opinion)
    Apply for jobs you know you can do and have the skills to back up.
    Then while applying for those work towards the certs that compliment that experience.

+1 what he said. Someone with experience in my opinion always had an advantage than someone with out. You can talk from experience and elaborate, you have seen things in - experienced people have not. Don't get too distracted because you don't have this cert or that cert. Certifications have become extremely popular I'd say the last 5 years or so with everyone wanting a slice of IT.

With your experience though you should not have any issues getting the Microsoft certs. Messaging and office 365 are very popular right now. Get certified in O365 and you will get a job pretty fast after that.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, that's good to know. I've been stocking up on training classes from Udemy whenever they're on sale. I'll see if they have a course for O365.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Given my experience I'd suggest focusing on certifying experience. If you have Server 2012 administration MCSA or at least MCP 2012 would greatly help land a sys admin position. I'd focus only on positions that are at least the level you left in October. Everyone understands a horizontal move when you're unemployed. Very few understand a regression in experience and it's a big red flag for future employers.

vSphere is often the responsibility of sys admins, especially in SMB's and in the right place, networking experience can be gained in the same position. Then you can start certifying in these areas. Certifying while not working with the technology often leads to forgetting a lot of the material. The biggest mistake I've made when it comes to certifications is getting the CCNA when I was working exclusively with server 2012 and esxi. It was only 6 months ago but most of the knowledge has been forgotten. Now that I'm doing some networking, not very well, I plan on reading Lammle's CCNA study guide again to improve myself.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Given my experience I'd suggest focusing on certifying experience. If you have Server 2012 administration MCSA or at least MCP 2012 would greatly help land a sys admin position. I'd focus only on positions that are at least the level you left in October. Everyone understands a horizontal move when you're unemployed. Very few understand a regression in experience and it's a big red flag for future employers.

vSphere is often the responsibility of sys admins, especially in SMB's and in the right place, networking experience can be gained in the same position. Then you can start certifying in these areas. Certifying while not working with the technology often leads to forgetting a lot of the material. The biggest mistake I've made when it comes to certifications is getting the CCNA when I was working exclusively with server 2012 and esxi. It was only 6 months ago but most of the knowledge has been forgotten. Now that I'm doing some networking, not very well, I plan on reading Lammle's CCNA study guide again to improve myself.

Solid advice, thank you. I just started studying for Security+ since I should be able to knock that exam out in a couple of weeks. Considering your advice, after I get Sec+, I'm thinking I should go for my MCSA and WMware certs, perhaps concurrently. CCNA is great and all, and maybe something to get in the future, but I didn't have much experience with that in my prior jobs.
  • Options
    Do you have vSphere experience? If so, I'd go for the VCP-DCV first, it's 1 arguably easier test vs. 3 tests so it should take a lot less time to gain. Also I believe it has a lower supply vs. demand thus lower competition. In my case it was the cert that most companies focused on and allowed me to move into a higher-level role within a month of obtaining it. Went from administering a dozen windows servers at a single site to taking on all admin/engineer duties on 100 windows+linux servers at multiple sites. Environment size is one of the standard questions you'll get asked, the bigger they claim the better. Unfortunately VCP requires either you take a course (Stanly), use of an educational voucher (WGU) or CCNA+VCA which leads to a delay. It's a fairly straightforward self-study I think it's mainly a money grab by vmware for the thousands it costs to take the course through them.

MCSA is a good, difficult cert but I think it's more limiting in scope. There are far fewer companies looking for solid microsoft experience and little vSphere experience as opposed to a lot of vSphere with a little Microsoft. If you can manage to setup DC's, manage AD and maybe IIS you'll have the most desirable skills. The specialized MCSA positions are usually in large organizations where you're pigeon-holed so you won't regularly touch anything else and it's often AD admin/security requiring years of experience.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    I have a little bit of vSphere experience. Many of our servers were transitioned to virtual, but there was another Admin that officially supported the vSphere stuff. My team supported the individual server's OS, and had a few admin privileges in the vSphere console. I could definitely use some more vSphere experience.

Right now my experience is heavy on Microsoft and light on vSphere, which you say fewer companies are looking for. Although it's an old cert, seeing as I already have an MCP, maybe I'll go for the VCP-DCV first.
  • Options
    Maybe I shouldn't say far fewer companies are looking for solid MCSA in general but if you want a broad scope of experience it's true in my neck of the woods. Broad scope would likely come at an SMB or MSP. I personally think it's more optimal to go the SMB route as you get to really dive in and learn the environment. MSP is usually putting out fires, which builds trouble shooting skills, unless you are an architect or high level engineer. It comes down to if you want to be a problem solver or a creator, there isn't a wrong answer.

Check the delay part of my last post regarding the VCP-DCV. It may be beneficial to get at least 70-410, which is difficult but should be much easier with some experience as it's mostly common installation and setup. If you really know you want to be in networking, it's kind of a different world, then by all means go for CCNA and hope you can find entry-level position in SD. Apparently LA has them in high demand. From sys admin to noc tech has worked for other forum members but obtaining the first network position I found quite challenging. It's not really a regression as you're switching areas, unlike help desk or desktop support would be.
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Maybe I shouldn't say far fewer companies are looking for solid MCSA in general but if you want a broad scope of experience it's true in my neck of the woods. Broad scope would likely come at an SMB or MSP. I personally think it's more optimal to go the SMB route as you get to really dive in and learn the environment. MSP is usually putting out fires, which builds trouble shooting skills, unless you are an architect or high level engineer. It comes down to if you want to be a problem solver or a creator, there isn't a wrong answer.

Check the delay part of my last post regarding the VCP-DCV. It may be beneficial to get at least 70-410, which is difficult but should be much easier with some experience as it's mostly common installation and setup. If you really know you want to be in networking, it's kind of a different world, then by all means go for CCNA and hope you can find entry-level position in SD. Apparently LA has them in high demand. From sys admin to noc tech has worked for other forum members but obtaining the first network position I found quite challenging. It's not really a regression as you're switching areas, unlike help desk or desktop support would be.

Thanks for elaborating, this is very helpful. In your opinion, would the Security+ be of much value? I just started studying for it today, but if my time is better spent on the 70-410 or VCP-DCV, maybe I'll ditch Security+ for now.
  • Options
    Just an update, tonight I passed the ITIL Foundation. Per the advice of techfiend, I will prepare for the 70-410 (MCSA at a later date) and VCP6-DCV, both of which I was already considering. I found a 70-410/lab and an overview of vSphere on sale on Udemy, each for $15. Since there were no vSphere labs on Udemy, I got them from Boston for $149 (VCP6). They seem great for practical experience and preparation for the VCP exam.

So the plan for now is, quickly bang out the Security+ before diving into vSphere, then the 70-410 and on to MCSA, maybe CCNA from there. Well, that has my year pretty much planned out! Thanks again all!!
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep that resume up-to-date also and continue sending teaumes out. Don't neglect the new stuff. Now that you can have ITIL, you can add some ITIL lingo on your resume, like change management responsibilities or best practices etc.