HOw to get an IT job this days

TBisaDiseaseTBisaDisease Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
things are crazy this days, just to shed some light i have an associate and bachelor degree in computer informations system(CIS) from DeVry .
however i have only seemed to land only half a handful of jobs since. No luck or just icon_redface.gif . i tried to focus on developing part as a IT developer but it is very competitive as i only have about 2 yrs in developing experience and u get thrown here and there.
Been to a coulpe of interviews maybe 5 in the two years, but there is always that we need 5 yrs exp crap.
The only luck i have had IN THE TWO YR PERIOD was a 6 months job term for a firm building a website in VB.net. after which they let me go after the project. and since then nothing in the IT career path.i have had to do stupid menial jobs on the side just to get by but its getting furstrating and i cant take it anymore. (customer support , warehouse and all those side jobs that pay less than $10/HR).
It is crazy, all this in education for nothing , now i hear this IT recriters telling me taking a certificcation will help, but there have always been excuses, either they wnt a 5yrs exp or they wnt a (mcsc cnn app a-z certification)
WHAT DO I DO?
icon_confused.gif: TIRED RIGHT ABT NOW.
BUT DO U QUIT NOW ??

So , I AM SITTING at my computer trying to take lotus notes certificatns and MCSE/MCP maybe that would help after four months of unemployment.

The IT agencies/CONSULTANTS also seem to have no job avalability.
SO WHAT A HELL IS THE IT WORLD COMING TO????????
The only calls u get are from headhunters trying to hear ur voice even though they never call back.

A Career in the healtcare/medical industry seems abt rght rght now.....
ANy ideas hope/help/suggestion furstrated chap icon_cry.gif
AA, BA (CIS)

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    have you considered relocating at all to an area that has more of a need?

I'd also recommend the book 'What color is my parachute?' It really good for finding out what you are best up and how to really to a job hunt well.

just some thoughts
  • TBisaDiseaseTBisaDisease Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gojericho0 wrote:
    have you considered relocating at all to an area that has more of a need?

I'd also recommend the book 'What color is my parachute?' It really good for finding out what you are best up and how to really to a job hunt well.

just some thoughts

thanks, what states do u have in mind???????
    AA, BA (CIS)
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The ones I know that I have had interviews for were in Columbus, Ohio and DC Metro Area. I live in PA though so those are the tech hotbeds that are near me

Definetly check on that book though. You can get it real cheap from amazon
  • int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    from DeVry

ouch.
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devry is like ITT tech icon_sad.gif

good luck finding the job you want
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Devry is actually legit, but comes with mixed feelings when applying for transfer credits.

http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?option=com_directory&Action=ShowBasic&instid=1784

Devry was a pioneer for distance learning but obtained a reputation as a diploma mill from traditionalists for a while. After obtaining accreditation their reputation has improved drastically. Unfortunately, most traditional colleges and universities still won't accept devry credits, and they probably won't be recognized as some of the more prestigious online colleges such as AIU or Capella for example.

But listing them with the ranks of ITT just isn't fair...they are better then that.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    You dont always need the right qualifications to get your foot in the door sometimes you just need to start off at the bottom and work your way up.

Plus sometimes this is all they will let you do.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always thought .NET developers were in high demand and get paid quite a bit. Get certified - that would be a good start. I think there is an MS developer cert focusing on .NET but not too sure. Check out MS website.
  • rarossraross Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Judd wrote:
    Devry is actually legit, but comes with mixed feelings when applying for transfer credits.

http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?option=com_directory&Action=ShowBasic&instid=1784

Devry was a pioneer for distance learning but obtained a reputation as a diploma mill from traditionalists for a while. After obtaining accreditation their reputation has improved drastically. Unfortunately, most traditional colleges and universities still won't accept devry credits, and they probably won't be recognized as some of the more prestigious online colleges such as AIU or Capella for example.

But listing them with the ranks of ITT just isn't fair...they are better then that.

Employers just dont look highly upon these types of colleges. It is the same kind of discrimination you get going to a community college.

About the .NET certification, it is called Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer, you will need to learn C#, which has been getting some really good steam latly. Only bad thing about the language so far, is it is made by microsoft, which has some legal issues companies are having problems with now.
    strauchr wrote:
    I always thought .NET developers were in high demand and get paid quite a bit. Get certified - that would be a good start. I think there is an MS developer cert focusing on .NET but not too sure. Check out MS website.

yes there is an cert 4 .net. Thanks , i will try to get that book but mistake it not Devry is acutally one of the best when it comes to IT compared to others, i think they hold their own in the technical and practical warfare.

its also not like ITT pls. well back to the ques maybe just strating at the botom and walking ur way up is the way to go,......ouch
    the only thing u have to count on is a position of fit being open before u are there for 5 yrs, then comes the overqualified card waved at u......
    well, its definately worth the try i guess, looking on the bright side........
    AA, BA (CIS)
    I'll also add I had a similar experience. I had about 3.5 years experience and worked my way up to Network Admin but then got made redundant. after that no one would consider me for Network Admin jobs because of that same 5 year barrier. I had to go back to desktop support and wait till I got my 5 years experience. Quite frustrating really but now I am doing quite well. Once I hit 5 years jobs started becoming easier to find.

So just a bit of encouragement in my storey maybe.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    here are my thoughts

clean up resume.. resumes are the first line of sellings ones skills and should be revised and updated regularly

explore other areas where jobs lay... get on some job sites and list your search options to be anywhere you would want to be, like to be or could deal with

get a cert.. although it doesn't prove you can do something it can say you care enough about it to get it in writing
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • jadefalconjadefalcon Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have mixed feelings about DeVry. The degree I got (Computer Engineering Technology) sounds alot like I should already be an MCSE. Most of my classes were either programming or circuits. Some of the professors were there to help you, some could really care less. Some classes were packed to the rafters; some had only six students in them.

However, Career Services was excellent. Companies would contact them about having X number of positions available in these fields; please send resumes. Their people would talk the graduates up and were always around to help with resumes and career questions. I got my job via this method. At this moment, I am getting paid to learn as much as I can about Microsoft products and earning my MCSE.

Why don't you go to DeVry's Career Services? From what I understand, they will still help you, though not as much as a new graduate.
  • madboymadboy Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And seriously, just get to know other people in the industry... especially managers or HR.... The best way to get a job is to know someone.

Perhaps visit job fairs on your own. Some people completely depend on their school to help them find a job, and a person is really limiting themselves if that's the case.
  • indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I totally agree with madboy... Knowing someone is THE only way to get a decent IT job these days..It does not really matter if u have certifications and/or experience even if employers ask for them. When it comes to selecting the right candidate they will always go with somebody they KNOW (the fact that he is not even a basic high school graduate does not really matter) This is sooooooooooooooo pathetic..
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    indubasu wrote:
    I totally agree with madboy... Knowing someone is THE only way to get a decent IT job these days..It does not really matter if u have certifications and/or experience even if employers ask for them. When it comes to selecting the right candidate they will always go with somebody they KNOW (the fact that he is not even a basic high school graduate does not really matter) This is sooooooooooooooo pathetic..

I see this way too often. Recommendation goes alot. It's pure networking.

I got my job that I have now through www.monster.com which those days with little or no experience was hectic, stressful, and I almost gave up looking for an IT job.

But on the other hand after I got my job there and been working for like 6 months my manager came up to me and said do you know anyone you could recommend because we need to hire a new tech. I said yes and within a week my friend was hired.

So I have been in both sides of the fence. It is a tough world out there. If you really want to be in IT you have to stick it out, whether that means waiting for that interview call or just starting to network your way through friends.
    indubasu wrote:

I have never ever once gotten a job by knowing someone and I've been in 6 different companies. I also have a very decent, very well paying job.

Its called job seeking skills. Some have them, some don't. You also need intiative which is what has put me through ranks quite quickly. Just saying you want to learn and working on things you like is not enough. You have to be prepared to do the tough jobs in IT, prove to managers you got what it takes then you'll see things happen. And if your just starting out you have to portray this in your interview
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    strauchr wrote:
    indubasu wrote:

I have never ever once gotten a job by knowing someone ...

I believe in networking. Contact everyone in your social circle when job hunting. If you don't have the skills it won't get you hired but it may get you an interview a little quicker. It doesn't hurt to have someone who already works at a company hand the CIO or HR manager your resume and say, "Here is someone I know who is looking for work. I would recommend them." My present job and the previous offer have both come from companies that I have had network contacts.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i have on both sides.. however the better of the jobs i have gotten without knowing anyone icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    jim_stasz wrote:
    strauchr wrote:
    indubasu wrote:

I have never ever once gotten a job by knowing someone ...

I believe in networking. Contact everyone in your social circle when job hunting. If you don't have the skills it won't get you hired but it may get you an interview a little quicker. It doesn't hurt to have someone who already works at a company hand the CIO or HR manager your resume and say, "Here is someone I know who is looking for work. I would recommend them." My present job and the previous offer have both come from companies that I have had network contacts.

icon_cry.gif i agree sometimes its pure luck and sometimes it just sad.
    yeah who u know makes a big diffrence but this days when most companies are eating the fruit cakes of outsourcing and most jobs are shipped offshore u seem to want to play the game.
    i think its one thing to get a job call for an interview and to looose it than not even getting anything at all well excluding head hunter that wnt u to relocate 4 35K. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Everybdy seems to want mooore. like my fellow man said 8 yrs exp MCSE for a desktop job..... thats what the IT world has comes to games, ads and just cheer been verrrrryyyyyy very picky.

if u dont get hired u cant get no expereiece......simple

so, the other option is to take less paying or lower grade job well okay at least for a while but from experience u also have to lie or downgrde ur skills on the resume otherwise u will also be overqualified and they might think ohhh he wnt stay if we hire him So agan the trick is to tailor ur resume to matchthe job by dwn grading and trimming ur skills maybe just maybe another opening might come up or u increase the size of ur network. yes networking pays if u have it right. ...that is it has to have been built b4 the need of a job otherwise its all.................... the same
    i know wht my frends tel me,, oohh men there nothing rght now (rpt x n^100) the jobs are nt there, nt like it used to be but do we or wht do i do i wont blow my head off icon_twisted.gif
    icon_confused.gif:
    AA, BA (CIS)
  • jacktheripper994465221jacktheripper994465221 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And seriously, just get to know other people in the industry... especially managers or HR.... The best way to get a job is to know someone.

FINALLY someone agrees with me

but what i dont get is why everyone says "A+ is in the demand!!!"

"pass your test friday and get a job by monday!!"

like i said in the my other post... if you don't know anyone your out of luck.[/quote]
  • TeedubyahTeedubyah Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□

FINALLY someone agrees with me

but what i dont get is why everyone says "A+ is in the demand!!!"

"pass your test friday and get a job by monday!!"

like i said in the my other post... if you don't know anyone your out of luck.
    [/quote]

Thats exactly what my teacher told me. He said once you get your A+ you are good to go. I found out the hard way, it didn't work that way icon_mad.gif
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Cisco. If you ever get worried get your CCIE.
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    keenon wrote:
    clean up resume.. resumes are the first line of sellings ones skills and should be revised and updated regularly

I agree with this, and get as many people to review and give you input on your resume as you can. Obviously everyone likes something different but if you get the same feedback again and again you may want to change something.

Get a good cover letter. Tweek your cover letter AND resume for each job you apply for and keep copies of them.

Post your resume and cover letter at all ths sites, Monster, Dice, HotJobs, and update it often. Recruiters search on "new" resumes and updating it keeps yours on top of the list.

Practice interviewing. Find friends or family who have been around and ask them to help. It would be great to find someone who is a manager or HR to help. If you get offered an interview opportunity, even if the job isn't something you're interested in, go interview. Practice, practice, practice.

Network. Find user groups in your field, join, and attend the functions. I know there are local user groups in my area for Cisco, Microsoft, and EMC. They meet monthly and usually have some guest speaker. Not only do you learn stuff but you meet people already working in the field in your local area. Tell friends, family, parents of friends, people at church, at school, that you're looking for a job. Give them copies of your resume and cover letter and ask them to forward it on to anyone they think of.
  • Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    b]i have had to do stupid menial jobs on the side just to get by but its getting furstrating and i cant take it anymore. (customer support , warehouse and all those side jobs that pay less than $10/HR).

The bad thing about those jobs is that you can't put them on your resume, I was in that boat listing jobs on my resume that was under $10 dollars a hour and it doesn't help, it's like a joke to a recruiter when he sees that trash on there....

Anyone can lift up a box and move it to another location and anyone can work 11-7 am as a Security Guard alone sitting on a goft cart, they don't have much value at all.

If you have to take those jobs in the meantime consider moving to another area, the same 10 per hour jobs will pay a bit more in other states, that should be enough to live off temporarily while going back to school.
  • wanosdwanosd Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I spoke with the IT guy at my work place, and he says if you don't have work experience, you need to volunteer and/or work part-time jobs in order to get that experience.

Don't worry about the degree from DeVry. My brother got his degree there and he's getting paid $20/hr doing software testing for Microsoft as a contractor now. It took him I think about 9 months for him to land that position though, so don't give up. All his former classmates are also making in the $20/range now too, give or take.

Certifications will help. But most importantly, if you don't live in an area with a lot of jobs in the IT field, you should consider relocating. It's like looking for gold in an area that doesn't have a lot of gold deposits.

Good luck.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    $20/hr is nothing.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • wanosdwanosd Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:
    $20/hr is nothing.

I never said that was something. That's better than what some people are reporting here at $12/hr, right?

You'd be lucky to get $15/hr if you don't have experience.
  • avxavx Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wanosd wrote:
    Olajuwon wrote:
    $20/hr is nothing.

yup.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    wanosd wrote:
    Olajuwon wrote:
    $20/hr is nothing.

I never said that was something. That's better than what some people are reporting here at $12/hr, right?

It is something. I was being sarcastic.

I make less than $20/hr at my current job. I want to make much more than that. So I am busting my ass off.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"