CCNA: one test or two?

jbriggyjbriggy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
My first post to the forum! So here's my question. I'm making my way through the Cisco Press Intro book (almost done), and I've been trying to decide the best way to take the exams; the one test route, or the two test route. It was my thinking that if I were to take two tests, I could focus better, but then they would have more to grill me on per each test.. but if I'm prepared it shouldn't matter.. well, anyway, my internal dialogue is going back and forth. What do you all think? What way did you go about taking the test and why? Thanks for all your input.

-jbriggy

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Personally I think I would prefer the one exam 'if' I had a choice back when I passed the CCNA exam, but there isn't really a right or wrong way. Reasons to go for the one exam could be having passed the Network+ exam and/or having hands-on experience. If you are completely new to the subject, you may want to go for the two exams. But regardless, you'll have to study the same material, and can do that at your own pace regardless of how which exam(s) you'll go for. Good luck with your decision!

And welcome on board!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jbriggy wrote:
    What way did you go about taking the test and why?
    Same dialogue -- but 2 tests cost more. I invested my test savings into beer and pizza for my CCNA celebration. Plus stopping my CCNA study to study for the INTRO exam would have slowed me down.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • squawk1500squawk1500 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the one test route and that's what I would recommend. Taking one cisco test is hard enough but two would be a nightmare because you'd know what cisco tests are all about the second time around.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Seeing as you already have Net+ and a few others, I would go the one test route. I did the one test, and for all the reasons already cited would recommend you do the same. The only reason I can see for the two test route is if this was your first networking cert, which would let you get some of the more basic knowledge down first, but I wouldn't recommend starting with a CCNA anyways.

Peter
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog