Options

Advice for a interview needed

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have an interview for a Desktop Support civil service job at a university on Monday afternoon and I have some concerns.

1. There is going to be a knowledge exam at the end of the interview. The ad listed A+ (which I have) and an Apple Certified Tech as preferred qualifications. Does that mean I should just bone up on A+ and Mac basics?

2. The interview is “informal” and “casual.” With that being said, I am not going to wear a tie. However, would it be wise if I still work khakis and a decent button down shirt? My jeans are not in the best shape right now.

3. When I am asked about why I want the job, would it be wise to throw in that I want to go to graduate school there (which I do)? I won’t say this that but it would be one of the reasons I would give.

Comments

• Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. You're fine with the A+. I always recommend on brushing up your qualifications for an interview.

2. Khakis/suit pants + dress shirt. Don't do jeans even if you'd wear them at the actual job.

3. I wouldn't. It might make it seem like you only want to work there for free/cheap tuition.
  • Options
    wink-wink- Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with @tjb122982.

As someone who does the first rounds of interviews at my company, hygiene is important as well. Get a haircut, shave, look put together and ambitious. In a job like you are applying for, try to emphasize reliability. Say you want to show up to work everyday and get your job done.

Good luck with the interview!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    3. I wouldn't. It might make it seem like you only want to work there for free/cheap tuition.
    I do not think that is a detractor because A LOT of people who work at universities see that as a major benefit. On the flip side, they might use it as a reason to pay you less than they already will.
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    Always dress nice for an interview. I just interviewed at Dell and I was very overdressed compared to the people interviewing me but you should always want to make a good impression. Just like people make decisions in a split second when visiting websites people also make assumptions as soon as you walk in the room, although I understand this is less prevalent in the IT industry.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.

However, I just thought of another question: when I am asked why should they hire me, would it be okay just to talk up on personal qualities instead of my tech skills?
  • Options
    mkazimkazi Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always wear a suit to my interviews...is this over dressing for Entry Level IT Jobs or is it OK? Even though i know that i won't be wearing a suit while working obviously...
    "No person is your friend. No person is your enemy. Every person is your teacher." -unknown

Goals 2016: CCNA Sec OR CCNP R&S
  • Options
    Apparently, today was just a test. The good thing is that I passed and I have the in person interview on Wednesday. Don't worry, I'm going to wear a tie; I would wear a jacket but I don't have one here.